Los Angeles Times: Where you shop shows what you'll spend

California. No non-grocery posts.
SamSpade
Store Manager
Store Manager

Los Angeles Times: Where you shop shows what you'll spend

Post by SamSpade »

Los Angeles Times did a grocery survey, using the "top 10" grocers in SoCal.
Trader Joe's the least expensive, Sprouts the highest. Terrible result for Albertsons Co's. - Albertsons and VONS higher than Whole Foods, a lot higher than Stater Bros. Ralphs about tied with them.
Which L.A. grocery store chain is most affordable? We ran the numbers.
storewanderer

Re: Los Angeles Times: Where you shop shows what you'll spend

Post by storewanderer »

SamSpade wrote: July 7th, 2022, 2:52 pm Los Angeles Times did a grocery survey, using the "top 10" grocers in SoCal.
Trader Joe's the least expensive, Sprouts the highest. Terrible result for Albertsons Co's. - Albertsons and VONS higher than Whole Foods, a lot higher than Stater Bros. Ralphs about tied with them.
Which L.A. grocery store chain is most affordable? We ran the numbers.
Not a surprise about Trader Joe's coming in lowest; they are a great value especially for CA.

Also surprised Sprouts came in as badly as they did. Sprouts must be getting less and less competitive by the week. I'd like to see the Sprouts chain disappear entirely and just be replaced by Trader Joes and Grocery Outlets.

Hard to believe Vons came in above Whole Foods...... but numbers are numbers. Vons is a complete joke and ripoff. Albertsons has had a reputation for bad pricing for a long time. It would have been even worse at Pavilions too. Of course if you play the song and dance with Vons, play their little animated online Fresh Adventure game, get free Freshpass for the next year, use the $5 Friday, clip digital coupons from various random zip codes outside SoCal for $1 off coupons, use multiple club cards, etc. you can get some excellent deals there at Vons too but the LA Times obviously didn't go into that level of detail.
J-Man
Personnel Manager
Personnel Manager

Post by J-Man »

I'm curious as to how they selected the stores to survey. Is there recent data on LA area market share? Because I have a hard time believing that Walmart wouldn't be in the top 10. Possibly Aldi or Target as well. (I assume Costco was omitted since it's difficult to do price comparisons on these types of items with Costco's product mix.) And at least in my area, Northgate Gonzalez is not the major Hispanic grocer. Superior and El Super have more stores here.
veteran+
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Post by veteran+ »

Well, I would rather NO more Grocery Outletzzzzzz......

;) ;) ;)
SamSpade
Store Manager
Store Manager

Post by SamSpade »

J-Man wrote: July 8th, 2022, 10:15 am I'm curious as to how they selected the stores to survey. Is there recent data on LA area market share? Because I have a hard time believing that Walmart wouldn't be in the top 10. Possibly Aldi or Target as well. (I assume Costco was omitted since it's difficult to do price comparisons on these types of items with Costco's product mix.) And at least in my area, Northgate Gonzalez is not the major Hispanic grocer. Superior and El Super have more stores here.
We checked prices at the 10 most-visited grocery store chains in the Los Angeles-Long Beach-Anaheim region, as measured by foot traffic tracked through anonymous cellphone data compiled by Placer.ai
Kroger Co. owns Ralphs and Food4Less but the same item sold at the two chains — an 18-ounce container of Quaker Oats, for example — differed by 38%, according to the data Times reporters collected.
storewanderer

Post by storewanderer »

veteran+ wrote: July 8th, 2022, 11:25 am Well, I would rather NO more Grocery Outletzzzzzz......

;) ;) ;)
If you can experience some better Grocery Outlet operators, you will have a much different opinion of this chain.