Starbucks Closing Some Stores Nationwide Due To Safety

veteran+
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Re: Starbucks Closing Some Stores Nationwide Due To Safety

Post by veteran+ »

Brian Lutz wrote: August 2nd, 2022, 2:16 pm https://komonews.com/news/local/some-st ... r-closures

It turns out that two of the closed stores are union locations (505 Union Station and Olive Way in Seattle) and the unions continue to assert that the closures are for union busting purposes. The article does state that all of the affected employees at these two locations will be moved to other ones though.
I would not be surprised (difficult to prove).

As we learned from grocers in California closing stores for specious reasons in response to temporary Covid Pay Programs (underperforming stores slated to close before Covid came around or other non payroll reasons).

Businesses often close stores for reasons NOT stated publically.

It is NO secret that business, writ large, will do almost anything to bust unions and for the most part have gotten away with it. Hopefully a newly constituted NLRB will have a look see. One of the biggest factors in the diminishing of the "middle class" has been the near destruction of Labor Unions (like or not and inspite of some of their hyperbolized dark history).
storewanderer

Post by storewanderer »

veteran+ wrote: August 3rd, 2022, 7:54 am

I would not be surprised (difficult to prove).

As we learned from grocers in California closing stores for specious reasons in response to temporary Covid Pay Programs (underperforming stores slated to close before Covid came around or other non payroll reasons).

Businesses often close stores for reasons NOT stated publically.

It is NO secret that business, writ large, will do almost anything to bust unions and for the most part have gotten away with it. Hopefully a newly constituted NLRB will have a look see. One of the biggest factors in the diminishing of the "middle class" has been the near destruction of Labor Unions (like or not and inspite of some of their hyperbolized dark history).
These efforts will fail, the unionization of Starbucks will fail, because unionizing a place like Starbucks simply doesn't make sense. There is too much employee turnover, there is a transient nature of the employees (work during college breaks, etc.), etc. Unions are structured for career employees, and Starbucks is not that type of a place generally speaking.

I also still fail to see what the union will bring to the table for the employees. But it will be collecting dues/initiation fees from them. I think Starbucks will have a difficult time finding employees who are willing to work in these union stores.
veteran+
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Post by veteran+ »

I think they would do well if they affiliated with the SEIU.
jamcool
Store Manager
Store Manager

Post by jamcool »

I think they would do well if they affiliated with the SEIU.

Worst union created ever...a union only concerned with how much $ they can get from the Gov't and the taxpayer. Even FDR was against govt employee unions.
veteran+
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Post by veteran+ »

jamcool wrote: August 4th, 2022, 9:35 am I think they would do well if they affiliated with the SEIU.

Worst union created ever...a union only concerned with how much $ they can get from the Gov't and the taxpayer. Even FDR was against govt employee unions.
Huh?
storewanderer

Post by storewanderer »

Starbucks wants mail in voting stopped for the union organization efforts.

https://www.npr.org/2022/08/15/11175339 ... union-vote

I am confused I mean these are tiny little elections involving a dozen or two dozen employees; why can't they just hold them in the Starbucks location with a ballot drop box or something (since the ballot drop box is also deemed okay by the same groups pushing mail in voting)? If these folks can get to work they can get to the location to vote.

There were signs this was coming.

https://www.seattletimes.com/business/s ... -roastery/

If Howard still has political aspirations and I sure hope he does, these actions the company is taking under his watch against mail in voting will come to haunt him. Unless he plans on changing parties.
pseudo3d

Post by pseudo3d »

storewanderer wrote: August 17th, 2022, 12:12 am Starbucks wants mail in voting stopped for the union organization efforts.

https://www.npr.org/2022/08/15/11175339 ... union-vote

I am confused I mean these are tiny little elections involving a dozen or two dozen employees; why can't they just hold them in the Starbucks location with a ballot drop box or something (since the ballot drop box is also deemed okay by the same groups pushing mail in voting)? If these folks can get to work they can get to the location to vote.

There were signs this was coming.

https://www.seattletimes.com/business/s ... -roastery/

If Howard still has political aspirations and I sure hope he does, these actions the company is taking under his watch against mail in voting will come to haunt him. Unless he plans on changing parties.
Amazon had also insisted on in-person voting on unions very soon after the 2020 elections, an action that did not go unnoticed by conservatives.

Take that as you will.
Alpha8472

Post by Alpha8472 »

Starbucks closed a store next to Safeway years ago in the scary Monument Boulevard neighborhood of Concord, California. This is the most dangerous neighborhood in the city. Albertsons closed around 2005. Safeway closed several years ago. Safeway became Cardenas Market and closed after a few months. KFC closed down in the past year. Rite Aid across the street closed down recently.

Now Starbucks will open a brand new drive-thru restaurant in the nearly abandoned and very dangerous shopping center.

The FoodMaxx across the street is very scary with people selling drugs and guns out of the trunks of their cars.

I am surprised no one at Starbucks even researched the crime statistics of this quaint neighborhood. Starbucks either doesn't care about safety or is about to have a huge shock.
storewanderer

Post by storewanderer »

As long as the new Concord store doesn't call for a union the area will be safe enough.
veteran+
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Post by veteran+ »

storewanderer wrote: September 3rd, 2022, 10:33 am As long as the new Concord store doesn't call for a union the area will be safe enough.
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: