Costco Raises Food Court Prices

Predicting the demise of Sears & Kmart since 2017!
mbz321
Assistant Store Manager
Assistant Store Manager

Re: Costco Raises Food Court Prices

Post by mbz321 »

Super S wrote: July 14th, 2022, 8:37 am
The nearest Costco locations to me are about an hour drive. I sometimes would get a hot dog to eat on the way home, but stopped when they switched to those awful paper straws at every location nearby, which start disintegrating after about 20 minutes. At this point I don't really care what kind of pop they have.
Where are you located? Costco can't seem to make up its mind. We had paper straws for a hot minute, then they got lids that have a 'sip' cutout in them and stopped giving out (regular plastic) straws unless you asked, and now they are back to the old lids and some 'composable' (In reality, they aren't going to fully break down, if they break down at all, in a landfill) plastic straws.
storewanderer

Post by storewanderer »

mbz321 wrote: July 15th, 2022, 7:13 pm
The nearest Costco locations to me are about an hour drive. I sometimes would get a hot dog to eat on the way home, but stopped when they switched to those awful paper straws at every location nearby, which start disintegrating after about 20 minutes. At this point I don't really care what kind of pop they have.
Where are you located? Costco can't seem to make up its mind. We had paper straws for a hot minute, then they got lids that have a 'sip' cutout in them and stopped giving out (regular plastic) straws unless you asked, and now they are back to the old lids and some 'composable' (In reality, they aren't going to fully break down, if they break down at all, in a landfill) plastic straws.
I think Costco is trying to follow local regulations but at the same time doesn't want to do 10 different straws for 10 different stores so trying to follow the most strict regulation and apply it to all stores supplied from a given supply point. They should just stop giving straws entirely and not even have them as a supply anymore. The paper straws are more hassle than they are worth.

That Compostable straw is probably what the .10 price increase in the drink is paying for.
Super S

Post by Super S »

mbz321 wrote: July 15th, 2022, 7:13 pm
I am in Washington, but shop at several locations in Washington and Oregon.

The straw thing is weird. Washington passed a law in the last year where they are technically not supposed to hand out straws, napkins, or condiments unless you ask for them. I have noticed that this usually gets ignored at the drive-thru and these are given out like before, but inside many fast food establishments moved this stuff behind the counter. Oregon has a similar law regarding straws.

Some local jurisdictions have outright banned plastic straws, but Costco so far is the only one I am aware of that has switched everywhere around here.
jamcool
Store Manager
Store Manager

Post by jamcool »

Has anyone thought about making straws from licorice? Red Vines are hollow and can be used as straws.
veteran+
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Post by veteran+ »

jamcool wrote: July 16th, 2022, 11:04 am Has anyone thought about making straws from licorice? Red Vines are hollow and can be used as straws.
😋👌
storewanderer

Post by storewanderer »

jamcool wrote: July 16th, 2022, 11:04 am Has anyone thought about making straws from licorice? Red Vines are hollow and can be used as straws.
Yes, 7-11 has tried this and from time to time will do a sour straw specifically for slurpee.

I don't know if they use Red Vines, Sour Patch, or Twizzlers but this has come and gone many times over the years.
BillyGr
Store Manager
Store Manager

Post by BillyGr »

storewanderer wrote: July 16th, 2022, 12:19 am They should just stop giving straws entirely and not even have them as a supply anymore. The paper straws are more hassle than they are worth.
They have to have SOMETHING, unless they start making the cups like those for coffee that you can drink directly from. No one wants to have to take the lid off in a car to drink, that could be a very big mess.
storewanderer

Post by storewanderer »

BillyGr wrote: July 16th, 2022, 12:18 pm
storewanderer wrote: July 16th, 2022, 12:19 am They should just stop giving straws entirely and not even have them as a supply anymore. The paper straws are more hassle than they are worth.
They have to have SOMETHING, unless they start making the cups like those for coffee that you can drink directly from. No one wants to have to take the lid off in a car to drink, that could be a very big mess.
Well the plastic straw is recyclable. But those will be banned and disallowed soon enough.

Starbucks is back to having straws out again for customers to take (in places where they are legally allowed to...) after moving them behind the counter and putting those sippy cup lids on the drinks.

Average customer- wants a straw. And wants one that actually works as a straw. Not a paper straw.

Meanwhile, as places get forced to use paper straws or have their arms twisted by environmental groups to do it voluntarily, McDonalds in my area uses all plastic cups now (except for the kid size) for soda. Same for Wendys. So okay- we ban the plastic straw and force a paper straw. But then we switch from a paper cup to a plastic cup. There is a lot more plastic in a cup, than there is in a straw. These absolute fools and lunatics who are pushing all these regulations over packaging and bags, as a result of what they are doing, continue to actually cause use of MORE plastic than was being used before they pushed for this crap. All they are accomplishing is bigger profits for the plastic companies and higher costs for the consumer.
babs
Assistant Store Manager
Assistant Store Manager

Post by babs »

storewanderer wrote: July 16th, 2022, 12:30 pm
BillyGr wrote: July 16th, 2022, 12:18 pm
Well the plastic straw is recyclable. But those will be banned and disallowed soon enough.

Starbucks is back to having straws out again for customers to take (in places where they are legally allowed to...) after moving them behind the counter and putting those sippy cup lids on the drinks.

Average customer- wants a straw. And wants one that actually works as a straw. Not a paper straw.

Meanwhile, as places get forced to use paper straws or have their arms twisted by environmental groups to do it voluntarily, McDonalds in my area uses all plastic cups now (except for the kid size) for soda. Same for Wendys. So okay- we ban the plastic straw and force a paper straw. But then we switch from a paper cup to a plastic cup. There is a lot more plastic in a cup, than there is in a straw. These absolute fools and lunatics who are pushing all these regulations over packaging and bags, as a result of what they are doing, continue to actually cause use of MORE plastic than was being used before they pushed for this crap. All they are accomplishing is bigger profits for the plastic companies and higher costs for the consumer.
Costco has went away from paper straws to corn based straws. I heard there were tons of complaints about the paper straws.
mbz321
Assistant Store Manager
Assistant Store Manager

Post by mbz321 »

storewanderer wrote: July 16th, 2022, 12:30 pm
Meanwhile, as places get forced to use paper straws or have their arms twisted by environmental groups to do it voluntarily, McDonalds in my area uses all plastic cups now (except for the kid size) for soda. Same for Wendys. So okay- we ban the plastic straw and force a paper straw. But then we switch from a paper cup to a plastic cup. There is a lot more plastic in a cup, than there is in a straw.
I guess in theory, plastic fast food cups are 'recyclable', unlike straws which really aren't (due to the material and/or the design which doesn't allow them to pass through recycling equipment). But every plastic fast food cup (along with a lot of other fast food/take out containers) I've ever received is #5 plastic, which is not cost effective to recycle vs. #1 or #2 plastics. I begrudgingly throw #5 plastic in the trash and just hope that the other kinds I throw in the recycling bin might have a shot somewhere.