WinCo- Oklahoma City- ending credit card acceptance

Arizona, Hawaii, Nevada, New Mexico, Oklahoma, and Texas. No non-grocery posts.
storewanderer

Re: WinCo- Oklahoma City- ending credit card acceptance

Post by storewanderer »

Brian Lutz wrote: August 21st, 2022, 8:25 pm

Based on what I've seen at Winco around here it seems like a lot of the shoppers there tend to be the types that shop less often, but buy more stuff at once. I was just there a few days ago, and there seemed to be quite a few people in the checkout lines with two carts worth of groceries, spending over $300 in a single trip. It's also common to see people buying large quantities of a single item there as well (I suppose it's possible they could be buying to resell but it seems like there would be wholesale sources for that.)
What you are seeing there is a combination of people who do a shop at WinCo once a month, and people who actually go into WinCo every week and do a $300 shop (family with 4 kids, etc.). Also what you see there is the customer who still cooks food at home all week... WinCo moves a serious volume of merchandise. In terms of tonnage, the amount of product they move is fascinating. In terms of dollars it is impressive as well but that $300 cart at WinCo which is often heavily filled with "the lowest cost option in any given category" with little sensitivity to brand, etc., would be $400-$500 at most other stores.
HCal
Assistant Store Manager
Assistant Store Manager

Post by HCal »

In case anyone is curious, you can buy a Winco gift card online with a credit card and then use it in the store. There is a $2 shipping fee initially, but you can reload it online free of charge from that point on.
storewanderer

Post by storewanderer »

HCal wrote: August 31st, 2022, 7:56 pm In case anyone is curious, you can buy a Winco gift card online with a credit card and then use it in the store. There is a $2 shipping fee initially, but you can reload it online free of charge from that point on.
I have never seen a grocery store chain offer a gift card before that is for "any items" and then one that "excludes alcohol and tobacco."

I wonder if it codes as a grocery transaction when you buy the gift card from their website.
HCal
Assistant Store Manager
Assistant Store Manager

Post by HCal »

storewanderer wrote: August 31st, 2022, 10:50 pm
I have never seen a grocery store chain offer a gift card before that is for "any items" and then one that "excludes alcohol and tobacco."

I wonder if it codes as a grocery transaction when you buy the gift card from their website.
I know Save Mart and Walmart both have this option. Walmart's also exclude firearms. These restricted cards are often bought in bulk by charitable organizations.

No idea about the coding, but I wouldn't be surprised if the gift cards are sold through a subsidiary or third party and code differently.
arizonaguy
Store Manager
Store Manager

Post by arizonaguy »

Brian Lutz wrote: August 21st, 2022, 8:25 pm
storewanderer wrote: July 19th, 2022, 9:59 pm I am just not sure the card issuers are going to be fighting over WinCo's customers as I don't want this to come out the wrong way as I shop there, but I don't think the typical WinCo customer is a big spender. Also WinCo going exclusive with a credit card may cause WinCo to start pushing credit card sign ups, etc. (this is typically a requirement the card issuer places on the store offering the card as a condition of the card agreement) which also would waste everyone's time and be something that may cause an image decline for WinCo especially if a lot of people try to apply for a credit card then don't get approved and take it out on the store.
Based on what I've seen at Winco around here it seems like a lot of the shoppers there tend to be the types that shop less often, but buy more stuff at once. I was just there a few days ago, and there seemed to be quite a few people in the checkout lines with two carts worth of groceries, spending over $300 in a single trip. It's also common to see people buying large quantities of a single item there as well (I suppose it's possible they could be buying to resell but it seems like there would be wholesale sources for that.)
I've noticed that at WinCo as well. Basket sizes are huge there (versus smaller basket sizes at Fry's, Safeway and even Walmart).

I'm kind of the opposite though. I shop at WinCo when I want to buy a few quick things (as I tend to use credit cards / rewards cards for everything) late at night when WinCo is relatively safe to shop at and Walmart is a bit sketchier.
Romr123
Assistant Store Manager
Assistant Store Manager

Post by Romr123 »

Just went to WinCo for the 1st time Monday in Indio, CA--a perfectly pleasant experience, but not a type store we have in Michigan (Meijer sucks the oxygen out of the room in it's areas for the pile it high/sell it cheap/big store concept); Omni in Chicago 25 years ago was quite similar to WinCo.

Got $$$ out at the checkout, so using debit saved a trip to the bank.
veteran+
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Post by veteran+ »

Romr123 wrote: September 1st, 2022, 6:11 pm Just went to WinCo for the 1st time Monday in Indio, CA--a perfectly pleasant experience, but not a type store we have in Michigan (Meijer sucks the oxygen out of the room in it's areas for the pile it high/sell it cheap/big store concept); Omni in Chicago 25 years ago was quite similar to WinCo.

Got $$$ out at the checkout, so using debit saved a trip to the bank.
That's a nice Winco and the Super Target next to it was very nice as well (I openned the Fresh & Easy across the street from them).
Romr123
Assistant Store Manager
Assistant Store Manager

Post by Romr123 »

I didn't think that SuperTarget went any further east than Moreno Valley...interesting!
Romr123
Assistant Store Manager
Assistant Store Manager

Post by Romr123 »

[/quote]

That's a nice Winco and the Super Target next to it was very nice as well (I openned the Fresh & Easy across the street from them).
[/quote]
The Super Target closed in 2016...only 3 non-supers left in the Coachella Valley
veteran+
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Post by veteran+ »

Romr123 wrote: September 2nd, 2022, 8:34 am
[/quote]
The Super Target closed in 2016...only 3 non-supers left in the Coachella Valley
[/quote]

Wow...................that Target closed?

I'm not surprised given the location (Indio).