Market By Macy's Small Format Expanding

Predicting the demise of Sears & Kmart since 2017!
Alpha8472

Market By Macy's Small Format Expanding

Post by Alpha8472 »

There is one small format Market By Macy's. The company plans to open 4 more this Fall. The format is one fifth the size of a traditional Macy's. One future location will have a Macy's Backstage as well on one level. Macy's will close one full sized store and replace it with a relocated small format store.

These are off-mall small format locations. They have concrete floors and warehouse ceilings. They seem very bare bones.
BatteryMill
Shift Manager
Shift Manager

Re: Market By Macy's Small Format Expanding

Post by BatteryMill »

Looks like these stores were oversized clothing shops so much so they had to do this.
buckguy
Store Manager
Store Manager

Post by buckguy »

Here's an article with more information: https://www.businesswire.com/news/home/ ... t-Strategy

There seem to be several different strategies here. The one outside St. Louis is moving from a dead mall to open air complex, which seems like a logical transition. There are 3 in the Atlanta area---two kindof replace a former dead mall location (Gwinett) while the other one is not close to an existing or former store and is in a more sparsely settled area. The dual Market/Backstage is in a redevelopment of a long-running shopping center in Evergreen Park (Chicago area) that was anchored by Carson's but not a Macy predecessor, That area has a mix of incomes and character---inner ring suburb and older urban areas with different levels of wealth. They are replacing some mall locations, but they also seem to be going into areas that may not have been considered for a full line store.
Last edited by buckguy on July 21st, 2022, 5:33 am, edited 1 time in total.
marshd1000
Assistant Store Manager
Assistant Store Manager

Post by marshd1000 »

I’m wondering if Downtown Seattle got it’s act together, if they could open one in the Pacific Place Mall? It would seem to me that there is a population that could support it. But will Downtown Seattle ever be safe again?
babs
Assistant Store Manager
Assistant Store Manager

Post by babs »

marshd1000 wrote: July 20th, 2022, 6:27 pm I’m wondering if Downtown Seattle got it’s act together, if they could open one in the Pacific Place Mall? It would seem to me that there is a population that could support it. But will Downtown Seattle ever be safe again?
University Village 2oild be a more likely location in central Seattle.

Side note, what is it about these downsized Target and Macy's stores that calls for warehouse ceilings?
marshd1000
Assistant Store Manager
Assistant Store Manager

Post by marshd1000 »

babs wrote: July 20th, 2022, 9:27 pm
marshd1000 wrote: July 20th, 2022, 6:27 pm I’m wondering if Downtown Seattle got it’s act together, if they could open one in the Pacific Place Mall? It would seem to me that there is a population that could support it. But will Downtown Seattle ever be safe again?
University Village 2oild be a more likely location in central Seattle.

Side note, what is it about these downsized Target and Macy's stores that calls for warehouse ceilings?
University Village would be a good place for this concept. But I am also wondering if it would work in the newly christened Northgate Station? They are maintaining some of the retail of the old Northgate Mall. Nordstrom Rack is still there!
Super S

Post by Super S »

babs wrote: July 20th, 2022, 9:27 pm

It's a retail fad along with polished concrete floors. Both of which might be able to work at Target, but is out of place at Macy's.
storewanderer

Post by storewanderer »

I don't see this working at all. It comes off as an extreme expense cut move like the company is going to go under and knows it can no longer support large stores. Meanwhile consumers expect a large full store out of Macy's and will be disappointed by these stores. Similar to the small format Targets I do not see this being a successful program or an expansion vehicle for Macy's.