TJ Maxx & Homegoods Selling Halloween Items in July

Predicting the demise of Sears & Kmart since 2017!
Brian Lutz
Store Manager
Store Manager

Re: TJ Maxx & Homegoods Selling Halloween Items in July

Post by Brian Lutz »

I don't go there often, but in the past couple of years I've seen that Hobby Lobby has had Halloween, Thanksgiving and Christmas merchandise out on the sales floor by the middle of August.
buckguy
Store Manager
Store Manager

Post by buckguy »

mbz321 wrote: July 25th, 2022, 8:37 am Costco already has Halloween costumes and a few decorative things out, and I've seen some pics of stores with Chirstmas merchandise already!
Must be a regional thing. I was in one in Arlington, VA last weekend and there was nothing for any holiday. Ditto, one outside of Cleveland a week before.

For some stores, there must be some sort of value calculation in deciding what to pack and what to sell. REI seems to pack-up evergreen items like black colored gloves (but clear the other colors) and higher end items like leather gloves and down parkas in colors that don't change from year to year. Some markdown like shirts get marked down and seem to stick around until they're sold.
BillyGr
Store Manager
Store Manager

Post by BillyGr »

buckguy wrote: July 25th, 2022, 11:27 am Must be a regional thing. I was in one in Arlington, VA last weekend and there was nothing for any holiday. Ditto, one outside of Cleveland a week before.

For some stores, there must be some sort of value calculation in deciding what to pack and what to sell. REI seems to pack-up evergreen items like black colored gloves (but clear the other colors) and higher end items like leather gloves and down parkas in colors that don't change from year to year. Some markdown like shirts get marked down and seem to stick around until they're sold.
One could see a thought to those types of things - one idea would be to bring them back out at the beginning of the next season, and mark them just a bit on sale - given that other places would be bringing out totally new merchandise (which if anything will be more than the model last year was, particularly now), you could do well by having the small price advantage for things people will be needing to get anyway.

storewanderer wrote: July 24th, 2022, 8:49 pm
BillyGr wrote: July 24th, 2022, 2:00 pm Ocean State does that with Christmas stuff - packs away whatever doesn't sell at 50% off and brings it out the following year. They don't run much for other holidays, though.
They also do that to some degree with other seasonal items like summer stuff, winter stuff etc. as you will sometimes find the same item with two different price tags.

Dollar Tree has also done some pack away with holiday items, have seen them packing those after a few days of 50% off.
Pack away is an absolute nightmare to deal with. Especially in a store with a small back room to begin with. The best comes when you have pack away from multiple years. You try to set your seasonal area to the current year's specs and packaging changes from year to year, even if the old junk still scans, your display looks like crap with multiple package designs for the same products, some that look very shopworn, etc.
Probably why only places like this do this - Ocean State is an odd lots type chain anyway - some "regular" items but many things that are buyouts from other companies. Thus, the issues you mention with multiple types of packages and such are not unusual anyway, so they don't really look out of place, and they are aiming for those who are looking for bargains.

I also suspect the space issue is why (at least our local one, that took over a former supermarket) they added new walls on one side and in the back, to create more storage and less sales floor (this supermarket was also larger than many others they have re-occupied, so it is possible they do less packing in other locations).

Most of the stuff from Dollar Tree tended to be items they have made specifically for them, so probably not as hard to get the same things/designs/packaging for next year?