Haircut Places, Beauty Salons, Massage Parlors Disappearing

Alpha8472

Haircut Places, Beauty Salons, Massage Parlors Disappearing

Post by Alpha8472 »

I have noticed many haircut places and tanning salons have closed over the past couple of years. In many cases it is the chain places that have closed.

Massage parlors seem to have drastically dwindled as well.

Many Great Clips have closed down. There are many vacant locations that still have not been filled many months later.

Does it seem like people are getting fewer haircuts? Have people cut back on luxury services and massages? What about tanning salons?
storewanderer

Re: Haircut Places, Beauty Salons, Massage Parlors Disappearing

Post by storewanderer »

Some of these businesses have recovered and some have not since COVID. These fields are having staffing shortages as well. The cost for services in these fields is also rising to unaffordable levels for some people as I am hearing multiple reports in my area of people wanting $45-$50 for a simple men's haircut (takes less than 30 minutes) and shampoo (usually unnecessary) who are working as independents in a salon leasing a booth. I think a number of the younger people who have entered this field have decided they only want to work about 3 days a week for 6 hours a day and if they can charge customers basically $100/hr for services that is going to be ample income for them (comes out to $1,800 a week).

Meanwhile chain places like the Great Clips, etc. that still sell haircuts for a corporate defined price of $18 or whatever it is, of course nobody wants to work in those when their friends they went to school with are all renting booths or a salon studio working fewer hours for multiples of the pay.

The Smart Style haircut in Wal Mart that I pay some attention to and have used a couple times recently posted signs that it is now a franchise shop and no longer corporate owned. Some others in the area Wal Marts have closed outright. I haven't noticed if it still has the same 2 employees as it had before.
BillyGr
Store Manager
Store Manager

Post by BillyGr »

Just depends on the people (and maybe the area), I guess.

One local place here is only around $18 for a regular cut, but only charged $10 the last time (since what they did was very quick and only using an electronic clipper).

Perhaps they prefer the old way of making money, less per customer made up in volume?

(Note that they also do more fancy styles, and of course I'm sure those are more costly as well, but also take longer which offsets that).
Brian Lutz
Store Manager
Store Manager

Post by Brian Lutz »

This may just be small sample size, but there seems to be a move toward more specialization in this field. Sure there are still the Great Clips/Supercuts/Hair Masters type places out there, but it also seems to be more male-focused places like Sport Clips (a chain, but one which has a more full-service experience with the "MVP" package which includes cut, shampoo, scalp treatment and shoulder massage for a cost of around $30 plus tip) and a bit of a resurgence in barber shop type places. I've started going to a local place where for around $30 plus tip I get the same stylist each time, she knows what I want, and that also includes a straight razor neck shave for a nice clean look. The place seems very popular, and it can be tough to get an appointment at times.

Men don't seem to have as many options for self care as women do. For example, nail salons remain as popular as ever and there's no reason men can't visit them (I will go with my wife on occasion), but it would be really awkward to go to one by myself and I rarely see any men there unless they are with their significant other. The market for "pampering" for men seems underserved, and there seems to be opportunity there for people looking to go into that field. The Asian foot massage parlors were also quite popular over here for a while, and a few are still around but a lot have closed, and many of the remaining ones seem sketchy at best.
HCal
Assistant Store Manager
Assistant Store Manager

Post by HCal »

When California ordered businesses including barbershops and hair salons to close for 3+ months in 2020, many peole I know figured out how to cut their own hair or have a family member do it. Some of them found that this was preferable and have been doing it ever since.

Other than that, I think this is the same inflation that has been hitting everything else. My local barbershop charged $12 in 2019, now they are up to $18. Great Clips was (I believe) $15, now they are $22. People don't get haircuts very often, so they may be less price-sensitive than for other things.
storewanderer

Post by storewanderer »

HCal wrote: July 24th, 2022, 5:23 pm When California ordered businesses including barbershops and hair salons to close for 3+ months in 2020, many peole I know figured out how to cut their own hair or have a family member do it. Some of them found that this was preferable and have been doing it ever since.

Other than that, I think this is the same inflation that has been hitting everything else. My local barbershop charged $12 in 2019, now they are up to $18. Great Clips was (I believe) $15, now they are $22. People don't get haircuts very often, so they may be less price-sensitive than for other things.
Some people I know just seem to have longer hair than before.

In my area there is a shortage of hair people and business for these folks is booming. If they are good, if they want the work, they can make a ton of money.

Another complaint I've heard from others I know is they schedule an appointment then it is canceled, then reschedule and it cancels again, etc. Many of the younger people who are entering the haircut business seem to just not work whenever they feel like it even when they commit to appointments. The excuse I hear is if they only have a couple appointments on a given day it isn't even worth going in for them. I guess I understand that but that couple appointments is a couple people who counted on you to do it that day, and also you could get a couple walk ins too. They are just making a bigger headache for themself by not just upholding a consistent schedule (for instance work Monday-Thursday 10 AM to 4 PM) and sticking to it.
Alpha8472

Post by Alpha8472 »

Work ethic is quite terrible these days. You interview people and hire them and they don't show up to their first day of work.

Fast food restaurants have it bad since so many people do not show up for work, and the restaurant has to close early.
mbz321
Assistant Store Manager
Assistant Store Manager

Post by mbz321 »

Tanning salons seems like a 'fad' that has for the mostpart, disappeared. There used to be a large chain(franchise?) in my region called Hollywood Tans that popped up in like every shopping center...now I think there are just a few scattered locations left that aren't tied to any particular owner. I haven't noticed any haircut places closing down, in fact, I've seen many indie barber shops pop up.
SamSpade
Store Manager
Store Manager

Post by SamSpade »

storewanderer wrote: July 24th, 2022, 1:28 pmThe Smart Style haircut in Wal Mart that I pay some attention to and have used a couple times recently posted signs that it is now a franchise shop and no longer corporate owned. Some others in the area Wal Marts have closed outright. I haven't noticed if it still has the same 2 employees as it had before.
This has been Regis' plans for all their brands for some time now. I'm surprised yours remained under the corporate umbrella for so long. :idea:

In my region, some of the chains appear to have let leases expire and others are shifting strategy a bit. Also, I have seen many men trying out longer hairstyles when they don't necessarily have to stick to older business professional standards (ie. working in an office for a certain kind of employer). One of my coworkers that is in Las Vegas goes every two weeks. His stylist at Great Clips has apparently stuck around there long-term, but she told him it's going up to $22 (?) now.

My dad's group seemed very into my long hair when I was recently home for a wake/memorial, of course they could only have that kind of style in their youth. My partner also bought home cutting tools (as mentioned) and has offered many times if I want a short style to do it for me. Last time it looked just as good as a salon, minus the "upscale barber" perks I like that have become rushed (or stylists just aren't as good at doing) in some of these smaller chains.

I also agree with Brian that nail salons seem to have largely held on and expanded in some cases, unless they were marginal operators to begin with. I will admit I do enjoy a pedicure but they run in this area about $50 - 60 for a deluxe with a tip. I usually go about once a month.
Brian Lutz
Store Manager
Store Manager

Post by Brian Lutz »

The nail salons here seem to be mostly run and staffed by Vietnamese ladies, and although the quality can vary quite a bit, I'd say that a lot of them now tend to be more upscale than they used to be. It now seems to be standard for them to have the "spa pedicure" massage chairs with the jetted footbath in the front. It's not as good as an actual massage, but I'm sure the chairs bring in a fair number of customers looking more for stress relief than nail care. Prices of a pedicure here range from about $30-55 before the tip depending on the level of service you get. Manicures range from about $20-40,