Aldi Temporary Closures and Burglaries

This is the place for general and miscellaneous posts on topics which might extend past the boundaries of any specific region. No non-grocery posts.
storewanderer

Re: Aldi Temporary Closures and Burglaries

Post by storewanderer »

veteran+ wrote: August 2nd, 2022, 7:32 am "In 2022, The most dangerous cities in the US are Atlanta, Philadelphia, Salt Lake City, Springfield, Memphis, Chattanooga, Little Rock and Tacoma. The FBI's Uniform Crime Reporting Program classifies murder, non-negligent manslaughter, rape, robbery, and aggravated assault as violent crimes."

The list varies slightly, depending on who is compiling and reporting.
I don't think the statistics are being collected equally in all of these cities. Pretty easy to make crime look lower when you don't prosecute so many crimes, then have lousy statistics when you are tough on crime (suspect that is how Salt Lake City got on the list, laughable to see that city on this type of a list). I suggest visiting all of the cities and drawing your own conclusions.
HCal
Assistant Store Manager
Assistant Store Manager

Post by HCal »

storewanderer wrote: August 2nd, 2022, 10:02 pmI don't think the statistics are being collected equally in all of these cities. Pretty easy to make crime look lower when you don't prosecute so many crimes, then have lousy statistics when you are tough on crime (suspect that is how Salt Lake City got on the list, laughable to see that city on this type of a list). I suggest visiting all of the cities and drawing your own conclusions.
Crime is often concentrated in certain neighborhoods and may not be apparent even if you visit. Some places don't feel safe but are safe, and vice versa. While there is likely to be underreporting everywhere, I would trust official statistics over casual observations. Remember that the data are based on reports, not prosecutions.

SLC has low violent crime but high rates of property crime. It has a relatively low population (compared to other major cities) so that may result in higher per capita numbers.
storewanderer

Post by storewanderer »

HCal wrote: August 2nd, 2022, 10:20 pm
Crime is often concentrated in certain neighborhoods and may not be apparent even if you visit. Some places don't feel safe but are safe, and vice versa. While there is likely to be underreporting everywhere, I would trust official statistics over casual observations. Remember that the data are based on reports, not prosecutions.

SLC has low violent crime but high rates of property crime. It has a relatively low population (compared to other major cities) so that may result in higher per capita numbers.
I've been in a lot of not very safe places and snooped around neighborhoods I probably should not have been snooping around in, in certain cities. Sometimes I ended up on public transportation and ended up somewhere that, had I been using common sense, would not have ended up. There is going to be underreporting everywhere, it is the degree or magnitude of underreporting that means something. Some places have sloppy underreporting. Other places are in denial about how badly their cities have deteriorated and are willfully underreporting. Especially lately.
veteran+
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Post by veteran+ »

storewanderer wrote: August 2nd, 2022, 10:02 pm
veteran+ wrote: August 2nd, 2022, 7:32 am "In 2022, The most dangerous cities in the US are Atlanta, Philadelphia, Salt Lake City, Springfield, Memphis, Chattanooga, Little Rock and Tacoma. The FBI's Uniform Crime Reporting Program classifies murder, non-negligent manslaughter, rape, robbery, and aggravated assault as violent crimes."

The list varies slightly, depending on who is compiling and reporting.
I don't think the statistics are being collected equally in all of these cities. Pretty easy to make crime look lower when you don't prosecute so many crimes, then have lousy statistics when you are tough on crime (suspect that is how Salt Lake City got on the list, laughable to see that city on this type of a list). I suggest visiting all of the cities and drawing your own conclusions.
As I said, the list slightly changes depending on whom is compiling the data and which cities are being included. What seems to be clear is that the favorite and usual suspects (those evil blue cities) are often NOT on the list.
storewanderer

Post by storewanderer »

veteran+ wrote: August 3rd, 2022, 7:03 am

As I said, the list slightly changes depending on whom is compiling the data and which cities are being included. What seems to be clear is that the favorite and usual suspects (those evil blue cities) are often NOT on the list.
Well the cities Aldi is having these issues in aren't on the list... I guess. But they are still closing the stores.