The General Store by Walmart (Mini-retail)

Predicting the demise of Sears & Kmart since 2017!
Brian Lutz
Store Manager
Store Manager

Re: The General Store by Walmart (Mini-retail)

Post by Brian Lutz »

veteran+ wrote: July 30th, 2022, 8:31 am
Brian Lutz wrote: July 29th, 2022, 3:49 pm Based on what I've been able to find these stores are basically glorified gift shops in overpriced "glamping" spots catering to city-dwelling hipsters who think they're roughing it because they have to drive their Subaru nearly 15 miles to find the nearest Starbucks. And I suspect the minute the word "Walmart" comes out those people won't go anywhere near the place anyway. Basically, this whole thing just sounds like a Portlandia sketch come to life, and I'm guessing it'll be quietly discontinued in 18 months and swept under the rug.

That said, I could see there being a niche for shops of this type in places like KOAs if they actually had a product mix that catered to actual tent and RV campers, although most campgrounds of that type will already have a "general store" that covers that type of thing anyway.
I have owned 2 Subarus...........................LOVE them ;)

And I hate Walmart................ :lol: :evil: :lol: :evil:

Does that make me a hipster? 🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣
Depends on how many stickers you have on the back of the thing.
buckguy
Store Manager
Store Manager

Post by buckguy »

Brian Lutz wrote: July 30th, 2022, 11:54 am
veteran+ wrote: July 30th, 2022, 8:31 am
Brian Lutz wrote: July 29th, 2022, 3:49 pm Based on what I've been able to find these stores are basically glorified gift shops in overpriced "glamping" spots catering to city-dwelling hipsters who think they're roughing it because they have to drive their Subaru nearly 15 miles to find the nearest Starbucks. And I suspect the minute the word "Walmart" comes out those people won't go anywhere near the place anyway. Basically, this whole thing just sounds like a Portlandia sketch come to life, and I'm guessing it'll be quietly discontinued in 18 months and swept under the rug.

That said, I could see there being a niche for shops of this type in places like KOAs if they actually had a product mix that catered to actual tent and RV campers, although most campgrounds of that type will already have a "general store" that covers that type of thing anyway.
I have owned 2 Subarus...........................LOVE them ;)

And I hate Walmart................ :lol: :evil: :lol: :evil:

Does that make me a hipster? 🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣
Depends on how many stickers you have on the back of the thing.
Walmart execs have sometimes been quoted as saying they are more a distribution company than a retailers, so perhaps they are looking for new distribution channels or someone's son-in-law is an investor. This does seem like an odd one, because these general stores are essentially a fancier version of the little areas next to the front desk at places like a Hilton Garden Inn and the price point looks similar for the lodging.

The locations themselves are kindof funny, though. People with money to spend on travel will go toa resort even if its just beyond the suburbs or get a vacation rental that's a lot closer to a real attraction than most of these places. The Subaru crowd is more likely to do actual camping than stay at a cabin ala Embassy Suites that's more or less on the edge of a metro area. That seems more the province of people who bring everything but their house to a campground.
mjhale
Shift Manager
Shift Manager

Post by mjhale »

Brian Lutz wrote: July 29th, 2022, 3:49 pm That said, I could see there being a niche for shops of this type in places like KOAs if they actually had a product mix that catered to actual tent and RV campers, although most campgrounds of that type will already have a "general store" that covers that type of thing anyway.
As I read your post I was thinking that KOA could strike a deal with Walmart to outsource the stock and operation of their General Stores to Walmart. Maybe split the profits 50/50? Or Walmart could do the same for non-chain campgrounds that may find the operation of a General Store a necessary burden but would jump at the chance of having someone else do this for them. I'm not a camper at all so I don't know much profit these General Store operations bring in that a facility would give up if they outsourced or partnered with Walmart. I love being in the outdoors - it feeds my photography hobby. But I love my Hampton/Hilton/Hyatt hotel room in the evening! :D
storewanderer

Post by storewanderer »

mjhale wrote: July 30th, 2022, 2:52 pm

As I read your post I was thinking that KOA could strike a deal with Walmart to outsource the stock and operation of their General Stores to Walmart. Maybe split the profits 50/50? Or Walmart could do the same for non-chain campgrounds that may find the operation of a General Store a necessary burden but would jump at the chance of having someone else do this for them. I'm not a camper at all so I don't know much profit these General Store operations bring in that a facility would give up if they outsourced or partnered with Walmart. I love being in the outdoors - it feeds my photography hobby. But I love my Hampton/Hilton/Hyatt hotel room in the evening! :D
This almost feels like the type of program that they could, once setting it up initially, just supply via UPS/FedEx via a .com warehouse. It may be something that would make sense.

The right busy and remote enough campground general store can bring in money, and having a system where the campground staff did not have to go "buy for the general store" (many just drive to the nearest town and buy for the store for at least some items) would be helpful, especially at this point.
Romr123
Assistant Store Manager
Assistant Store Manager

Post by Romr123 »

exactly--tie it in with WM replenishment and the campground can get a boxful shipped every Tuesday to replenish weekend sales. As stated, so many times these are just the campground staff hitting the local stores/Dollar General/... that an efficient reorder and ship process would solve a lot of problems for the campground, and provide an outlet for some of the private label camping/outdoor stuff in addition to the stores.