The General Store by Walmart (Mini-retail)

Predicting the demise of Sears & Kmart since 2017!
Alpha8472

The General Store by Walmart (Mini-retail)

Post by Alpha8472 »

Walmart is opening 5 mini-retail stores that are 75 square feet at Getaway cabin retreats. Hiking gear, campfire gear, and leisure activities will be for sale.

https://www.axios.com/2022/07/28/walmar ... ay-outpost
HCal
Assistant Store Manager
Assistant Store Manager

Re: The General Store by Walmart (Mini-retail)

Post by HCal »

I thought Walmart gave up on tiny stores a while ago. Interesting they are trying again. These locations are probably secluded, so that means less competition and higher prices.
storewanderer

Post by storewanderer »

HCal wrote: July 29th, 2022, 12:04 am I thought Walmart gave up on tiny stores a while ago. Interesting they are trying again. These locations are probably secluded, so that means less competition and higher prices.
Seventy five square feet? That isn't a tiny store. That is like a few vending machines. Maybe that is an error?
veteran+
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Post by veteran+ »

Alpha8472 wrote: July 28th, 2022, 10:52 pm Walmart is opening 5 mini-retail stores that are 75 square feet at Getaway cabin retreats. Hiking gear, campfire gear, and leisure activities will be for sale.

https://www.axios.com/2022/07/28/walmar ... ay-outpost
UGH.........................

🤮🤮🤮🤮🤮
storewanderer

Post by storewanderer »

[quote=veteran+ post_id=38832

UGH.........................

🤮🤮🤮🤮🤮
[/quote]

Why? These bathroom sized stores will never turn a profit and just serve as a distraction.
Alpha8472

Post by Alpha8472 »

Perhaps if they open up these little stores at every single campground, they will have a monopoly. Or they could sell such things as cell phone chargers, cables, and powerbanks. When you are in the wilderness you will pay high prices for the comforts of home.
Brian Lutz
Store Manager
Store Manager

Post by Brian Lutz »

Based on what I've been able to find these stores are basically glorified gift shops in overpriced "glamping" spots catering to city-dwelling hipsters who think they're roughing it because they have to drive their Subaru nearly 15 miles to find the nearest Starbucks. And I suspect the minute the word "Walmart" comes out those people won't go anywhere near the place anyway. Basically, this whole thing just sounds like a Portlandia sketch come to life, and I'm guessing it'll be quietly discontinued in 18 months and swept under the rug.

That said, I could see there being a niche for shops of this type in places like KOAs if they actually had a product mix that catered to actual tent and RV campers, although most campgrounds of that type will already have a "general store" that covers that type of thing anyway.
storewanderer

Post by storewanderer »

Campgrounds attract many families and many foreign tourists who do not necessarily have a negative impression of Wal Mart. Still the store sounds too small, too limiting, too difficult to supply, to be a profitable concept.

So to the folks who hate Wal Mart and want it to fail, they should be cheering this concept. It is a management distraction. Eye off the ball.
veteran+
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Post by veteran+ »

Brian Lutz wrote: July 29th, 2022, 3:49 pm Based on what I've been able to find these stores are basically glorified gift shops in overpriced "glamping" spots catering to city-dwelling hipsters who think they're roughing it because they have to drive their Subaru nearly 15 miles to find the nearest Starbucks. And I suspect the minute the word "Walmart" comes out those people won't go anywhere near the place anyway. Basically, this whole thing just sounds like a Portlandia sketch come to life, and I'm guessing it'll be quietly discontinued in 18 months and swept under the rug.

That said, I could see there being a niche for shops of this type in places like KOAs if they actually had a product mix that catered to actual tent and RV campers, although most campgrounds of that type will already have a "general store" that covers that type of thing anyway.
I have owned 2 Subarus...........................LOVE them ;)

And I hate Walmart................ :lol: :evil: :lol: :evil:

Does that make me a hipster? 🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣
Brian Lutz
Store Manager
Store Manager

Post by Brian Lutz »

storewanderer wrote: July 29th, 2022, 10:52 pm Campgrounds attract many families and many foreign tourists who do not necessarily have a negative impression of Wal Mart. Still the store sounds too small, too limiting, too difficult to supply, to be a profitable concept.

So to the folks who hate Wal Mart and want it to fail, they should be cheering this concept. It is a management distraction. Eye off the ball.
These places aren't campgrounds, they are lots full of tiny trailer houses aimed at childless urban hipsters looking for new Instagram hashtags. Their target audience is largely comprised of people who would likely boycott them for being affiliated with Walmart, which makes this move particularly puzzling.
Last edited by Brian Lutz on July 30th, 2022, 12:53 pm, edited 2 times in total.