Circle K franchise stability in NorCal

storewanderer

Circle K franchise stability in NorCal

Post by storewanderer »

Circle K seems to be struggling a bit to retain stores with its franchise program in NorCal.

One long term franchisee around Sacramento who also had some stores in Truckee, Auburn, Cameron Park, seems to have recently sold their stations to H&S out of SoCal and the stores that were Circle K have been crudely rebranded as "Power Market." This was a long term Circle K operator. H&S runs a lot of Extra Mile units in conjunction with Chevron, and they picked up at least a couple of those in this deal as well, and those are still Extra Mile.

Have also seen multiple one off Circle K franchisees come and go in NorCal including one in Woodland (reopened a failed corporate Chevron), one in Livermore (another who reopened a failed corporate Chevron), and one in Chico (wasn't a big loss). There was also one up in Willits run by a fairly large and steadily growing operator (Golden Gate Petroleum) which left Circle K a number of years ago. I always wondered if GG branded one site as Circle K to better understand how to run a c-store as they expanded, because they've really improved their stores over the years.
norcalriteaidclerk
Assistant Store Manager
Assistant Store Manager

Re: Circle K franchise stability in NorCal

Post by norcalriteaidclerk »

The quail Pointe Chevron on the Citrus Heights/Fair oaks border(swc sunrise/Madison)is among those whose c-stores rebranded from circle k to power market.

On a side note,the longtime Madison/Dewey Chevron on the Carmichael/fo border has debranded and is now a Kwik Serv which may be a multi-site independent which has also had sites elsewhere in the metro.

Sent from my SM-G781U using Tapatalk

For your life,Thrifty and Payless have got it.
storewanderer

Post by storewanderer »

norcalriteaidclerk wrote: July 31st, 2022, 12:23 am The quail Pointe Chevron on the Citrus Heights/Fair oaks border(swc sunrise/Madison)is among those whose c-stores rebranded from circle k to power market.

On a side note,the longtime Madison/Dewey Chevron on the Carmichael/fo border has debranded and is now a Kwik Serv which may be a multi-site independent which has also had sites elsewhere in the metro.

Sent from my SM-G781U using Tapatalk
Kwik Serv seems to be a gas brand supplied by Boyett out of Modesto but the stores are just independent c-stores with no store program. I think there is only one Kwik Serv left in NV. There were a few others, all of which were remnants of the Terrible Herbst Northern Nevada operation that went largely bust (save for one station), but all have since left Kwik Serv.
storewanderer

Post by storewanderer »

Tooley Oil, a large Shell distributor out of Sacramento with some corporate stations, and who was previously an area developer for Circle K in that area, is now rebranding its store network to "Mixx Market." I am not sure how many stations they actually operate, it may only be 10-15 stations they operate, but they did have one or two newer Circle Ks that followed the new Circle K prototype.

They have one Reno unit and it has rebranded.

It seems like Circle K is rather fading off in NorCal.
Alpha8472

Post by Alpha8472 »

There is a 76 Station near me that is almost done with a total rebuild. It has a new convenience store under construction. There is an old 7-Eleven right next to it in a little strip mall. I assume they will both compete with each other. This area has many 76 stations with Circle K. I predict that it will be a Circle K.

I know of a relatively new Circle K in Dublin, California that is very nice and new looking. It is at an Exxon station.
ClownLoach
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Post by ClownLoach »

Circle K seems to be everywhere in SoCal these days with stations branded as Mobil, Exxon, Sinclair, and their own brand. I recall seeing a few 76 and Shell sites with Circle K stores as well.
storewanderer

Post by storewanderer »

ClownLoach wrote: January 4th, 2024, 12:17 pm Circle K seems to be everywhere in SoCal these days with stations branded as Mobil, Exxon, Sinclair, and their own brand. I recall seeing a few 76 and Shell sites with Circle K stores as well.
This is what it felt like for a while in NorCal. But they've lost some key operators- they lost Pacific Convenience and Fuels (former corporate 76 sites- then My Goods Market- these are now ROCKET sites) quite a few years ago now, then within the past few years California Stations/Edward F Marszel Enterprises who had quite a few sites around Sacramento (these are now Power Market sites), then Mario Andretti's stuff up north and in Southern Oregon (forget what they branded those stores), and now this Tooley.