Geico Closes All Offices in California

J-Man
Personnel Manager
Personnel Manager

Re: Geico Closes All Offices in California

Post by J-Man »

If I recall correctly, I don't think GEICO had local agent offices in California until a few years ago, so I don't know if this is the big deal the media seem to be making it. And the offices that were closed appear to be franchise-type operations staffed by independent contractors, so I don't understand how this would involve "layoffs" by GEICO. They're not closing their own offices (like the California regional office in Poway.)
arizonaguy
Store Manager
Store Manager

Post by arizonaguy »

J-Man wrote: August 8th, 2022, 11:18 am If I recall correctly, I don't think GEICO had local agent offices in California until a few years ago, so I don't know if this is the big deal the media seem to be making it. And the offices that were closed appear to be franchise-type operations staffed by independent contractors, so I don't understand how this would involve "layoffs" by GEICO. They're not closing their own offices (like the California regional office in Poway.)
I used to work for GEICO.

They rolled out these offices in the late 2000s when they dropped their "GEICO Direct" moniker. Initially these were staffed by GEICO employees who had formerly worked at one of their regional offices. I'm pretty sure that eventually they became franchised more similar to a fast food chain or a better example as a Rental Car agency than a State Farm or Allstate type agent operation where GEICO corporate controlled the locations, branding at the locations, etc. and the local agent simply ran the office and collected a percentage of the sales. These agents were not "independent" as they could only sell GEICO and GEICO affiliated products.
Romr123
Assistant Store Manager
Assistant Store Manager

Post by Romr123 »

the company for which I worked had these type of agents as a separate distribution channel (they had it split: internal phone agents; internal office agents, licensee agents, independent agents). The company offered both their own insurance products as well as complimentary products from other companies (good example was Hagerty for custom/collector vehicles) in order to provide a full-line offering.