Wingstop Sees Sales Decline & Counters With New Chicken Sandwich

Alpha8472

Wingstop Sees Sales Decline & Counters With New Chicken Sandwich

Post by Alpha8472 »

Wingstop saw a 3.3% sales decline in the second quarter. It is counting on a new chicken sandwich that is coming out in September to save itself. The chain is also partnering with Uber Eats and hopes this will help the company as well.

The new chicken sandwich has been tested in 60 restaurants and the company has seen good results. The sandwich comes in 11 different flavor varieties.

https://www.eatthis.com/news-wingstop-d ... s-q2-2022/
storewanderer

Re: Wingstop Sees Sales Decline & Counters With New Chicken Sandwich

Post by storewanderer »

Wing Stop can be a good product. I think the recent cost increases on wings, questionable move to add thigh products to the menu, combined with labor shortages have hurt this chain significantly. I am not sure a sandwich is going to help. Wing Stop already has an efficiency problem and adding a sandwich into the mix won't help the situation any. The Wing Stop locations in my area have far more terrible reviews as of late than they ever did in the past. Everyone still chasing the chicken sandwich due to the success of Popeyes needs to understand one of the biggest reasons that Popeyes sandwich was a success was due to the clever marketing and the $3.99 price point. Popeyes price increased the sandwich to $4.99 in my area and their traffic has fallen off a cliff, and sandwich sales have fallen even further. That is still cheaper than the chicken sandwiches at any burger chain...
Alpha8472

Post by Alpha8472 »

Wingstop sold out of their chicken sandwiches in less than a week. It was supposed to last 4 weeks.

Now the company says they are back in stock. At $5.99 or $7.99 with fries and a drink, it is a little more expensive than drive thru places.

I guess people love chicken sandwiches for some reason. Maybe it is due to the 12 Wingstop flavors.

https://www.chewboom.com/2022/10/05/the ... an-a-week/

Smashburger has started to sell chicken wings. You get 6 for $9.99 and it comes with ranch. With so many places selling chicken wings and sandwiches, Wingstop has too much competition.
jamcool
Store Manager
Store Manager

Post by jamcool »

I thought we had a chicken wing shortage.
Alpha8472

Post by Alpha8472 »

The price of chicken wings has dropped 40 percent and demand is lower. There is no longer a shortage. Restaurants are trying to boost sales since the price of wings has gone down.

Sales are steady for bone-in breasts, boneless breast, and tenders.
Last edited by Alpha8472 on October 8th, 2022, 11:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
storewanderer

Post by storewanderer »

Alpha8472 wrote: October 8th, 2022, 8:24 pm The price of chicken wings has dropped 40 percent and demand is lower. There is no longer a shortage. Restaurants are trying to boost sales since the price of wings has gone down.

Sales are steady for bone-in breasts, boneless breaststroke, and tenders.
Funny as Safeway NorCal had wings at $5/lb this past Friday for the first time in many months. They had started to make very very few wings in recent months due to excessive waste; nobody was buying at 9.99/lb and the reduction of the labor intensive process of cleaning the mixing bowls and crusted over serving trays in the hot food case seemed to make it easy for the stores to make fewer wings.
storewanderer

Post by storewanderer »

Wing Stop appears to be trying to copy Popeyes Chicken Sandwich strategy.

I notice Popeyes is selling way fewer sandwiches at 4.99 than they were at 3.99. They don't even have an employee dedicated solely to sandwiches anymore.