Church's Texas Chicken

Brian Lutz
Store Manager
Store Manager

Re: Church's Texas Chicken

Post by Brian Lutz »

The problem with "discount" chicken is that you're competing with pretty much every grocery store (whose quality varies but they're probably going to beat you on price regardless) and even a lot of gas station C-stores have it now (Krispy Krunchy, Cooper's Express, various unbranded chicken, etc.)
ninersdd
Produce Clerk
Produce Clerk

Post by ninersdd »

storewanderer wrote: August 11th, 2022, 10:38 pm Historically Church's was a "value" chicken chain. The whole point of Church's was a low price point. It was like the discount version of Popeyes (when Popeyes owned it). Small restaurants, complete and total push on price. The side item quality was reflected in the pricing (poor) but I thought the core chicken and biscuits were certainly an acceptable value for the prices they charged. Their pieces were a little odd and I think they may allocate more than 8 pieces from a whole chicken by piece count (like they somehow get the white side into 3 pieces).
They seemingly operate in some less then desirable areas, at least in Sacramento(like South Sac, Florin, and before North Highlands).
norcalriteaidclerk
Assistant Store Manager
Assistant Store Manager

Post by norcalriteaidclerk »

ninersdd wrote:
storewanderer wrote: August 11th, 2022, 10:38 pm Historically Church's was a "value" chicken chain. The whole point of Church's was a low price point. It was like the discount version of Popeyes (when Popeyes owned it). Small restaurants, complete and total push on price. The side item quality was reflected in the pricing (poor) but I thought the core chicken and biscuits were certainly an acceptable value for the prices they charged. Their pieces were a little odd and I think they may allocate more than 8 pieces from a whole chicken by piece count (like they somehow get the white side into 3 pieces).
They seemingly operate in some less then desirable areas, at least in Sacramento(like South Sac, Florin, and before North Highlands).
I've only tried them once:the Florin location late summer 2012 due to a missed transfer connection (light rail station is across the stroad). It's basically a 'budget' clone of KFC in more ways than one,but at least they (along with one time sister chain Popeyes)serve Coca-Cola products (rather than Pepsi which has long been the norm at KFC which was once owned by PepsiCo).

Sent from my SM-G781U using Tapatalk

For your life,Thrifty and Payless have got it.
Alpha8472

Post by Alpha8472 »

Church's has been in Oakland, California for decades. The prices were affordable and it was popular. In some places, price is a major factor and taste is not a concern.
Last edited by Alpha8472 on August 14th, 2022, 9:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
storewanderer

Post by storewanderer »

In looking at the current state of Church's, it looks like a lot of franchisees have been increasing prices. I am not so sure they are solid discount chicken chain anymore. The pricing doesn't look much different than a KFC or Popeyes anymore.

The chain may be trying to reinvent itself but in the end they have below average locations, poor facilities, and a limited menu. At their core that is a discount chain and trying to be something they aren't won't work too well. Reminds me of El Pollo Loco's efforts to go heavy into the salad business and try to capture more non-Hispanic customers when they went for their IPO. It has not really panned out very well (I wouldn't call it a complete failure; they are still in Utah) and they have cut most of those items and various markets they tried to expand into with that focus failed. Had they tried to go into those new markets and continue to focus on their core customer, they may still be in those markets today.