Albertsons 100% self-checkout pilot program at two locations

Alaska, Colorado, Idaho, Montana, Oregon, Utah, Washington, and Wyoming. No non-grocery posts.
BillyGr
Store Manager
Store Manager

Re: Albertsons 100% self-checkout pilot program at two locations

Post by BillyGr »

TW-Upstate NY wrote: August 24th, 2022, 12:03 pm
Greggo wrote: August 23rd, 2022, 3:17 pm Stores are going to have to have at least 1 or 2 regular ones open. I was at a Kroger in the Oak Lawn neighborhood in Dallas recently. They have gone 100% self checkout. The younger people seemed to be doing relatively well but the older folks were really struggling.
Very true and it can even happen in a regular lane. Case in point-I was in a local Hannaford this morning in the express lane and there was an elderly gentleman ahead of me who kept putting one more digit on his PIN on the keypad. The cashier must've came out from behind the register 3 or 4 times before he finally realized what he was doing incorrectly. Personally, if any store goes 100% self checkout I WILL NOT shop there. It serves a purpose I guess but if you get in a situation like I just described and there's no one around and it's busy it could really gum up the works.
Except that even if they were to do all self-checkout, there always WOULD be someone around, as few (if any) of those machines can work 100% through orders without any help all of the time.
Bluelightspecial
Receiving Clerk
Receiving Clerk

Re: Albertsons 100% self-checkout pilot program at two locations

Post by Bluelightspecial »

Whenever possible I always use self checkout. The reality is, even in an all self checkout store you would need at least one clerk assisting. In a trip to Indiana earlier this year I went into a Kroger and they had 14 checkstands. All but 4 were self checkout and two clerks were working helping customers, and checking IDs for age restricted items. Also, in places like California, you can't use self checkout to purchase alcohol so there will always be traditional checkstands of some sort unless the law changes.