Portland/Seattle area Jack In The Box issues

Super S

Portland/Seattle area Jack In The Box issues

Post by Super S »

I am seeing more and more Jack In The Box locations going back to drive-thru only, or lobby only open for takeout with the dining area blocked off, tables removed, and pop machines off. Even the location in Longview is drive-thru only again. I recently stopped at a location near the Cornelius Pass Fred Meyer and went inside to order. I wanted a milkshake, but nobody was at the counter. The A/C was even shut off. It was HOT in there. I ended up leaving and did not order as they were too busy focusing on the drive-thru. I will also add that they are still closing many locations completely, including the drive-thru, as early as 8PM.

This chain has a lot of restaurants that are looking a bit tired, and with the lack of fully open locations, I am done with them for a while. There are better options for the food, but they still had good milkshakes. If they don't get their act together there are going to be some locations closing, especially when nearly everybody else is fully open again. Maybe a format like Sonic would suit this chain better at this point.
Last edited by Super S on August 23rd, 2022, 8:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Alpha8472

Re: Portland area Jack In The Box issues

Post by Alpha8472 »

There seems to be a severe employee shortage. Is it the pay at fast food restaurants? Are there other similar businesses that pay more? Maybe Jack In The Box needs to pay a little more to retain employees.

It may cost a little more per employee, but at least you will have employees who will be able to staff the restaurant.

Perhaps the air conditioning broke down and this caused many employees to quit rather than work in intolerable conditions? If the air conditioning is broken, how do you know if the rest of the equipment is working? Is there a food spoilage issue in there too?

Maybe someone needs to complain to the corporate office and get the air conditioning fixed. Food spoilage will really drive the customers away.
storewanderer

Post by storewanderer »

In Reno I've watched fast food places try to reopen inside and even been told inside is open again until 9 PM then go back to the location a week later and it is locked tight at 6 PM.

Jack in the Box still has multiple locations that are drive through only, one location that is 8 AM to 3 PM, a couple others that close by 7 PM, and seems to be in particularly rough shape. McDonalds and Wendys are more "open" but some franchisees are fully reopened while others are dragging along with a lot of excuses and a lot of inconsistency.

This week I went to a chain that had a big new DINING ROOM OPEN sign in the window, then a sign on the door that said inside open for delivery pick up only; doors locked at 6 PM. Try to knock, get employees attention for pick up, no luck. Multiple other customers were trying to go in too. There were 7 cars parked in the lot other than customer trying to go in ( so all employees).

At this point it is employees just taking advantage of the situation. This is unacceptable. The only time they should be drive through only is when they only have like 3 employees working.
veteran+
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Post by veteran+ »

Alpha8472 wrote: August 17th, 2022, 12:21 pm There seems to be a severe employee shortage. Is it the pay at fast food restaurants? Are there other similar businesses that pay more? Maybe Jack In The Box needs to pay a little more to retain employees.

It may cost a little more per employee, but at least you will have employees who will be able to staff the restaurant.

Perhaps the air conditioning broke down and this caused many employees to quit rather than work in intolerable conditions? If the air conditioning is broken, how do you know if the rest of the equipment is working? Is there a food spoilage issue in there too?

Maybe someone needs to complain to the corporate office and get the air conditioning fixed. Food spoilage will really drive the customers away.
I am sure most of us have never worked in a fast food establishment (recently).

It is BAD................real BAD on all levels. Pay, working conditions, scheduling, attitudes from above, customer relations and so much more. Walk in THEIR shoes (otherwise known as empathy) and anyone will glean WHY these fast food businesses are having a problem recruiting and maintaining employees.

:cry: :cry: :cry:
Super S

Post by Super S »

veteran+ wrote: August 18th, 2022, 8:48 am

I am sure most of us have never worked in a fast food establishment (recently).

It is BAD................real BAD on all levels. Pay, working conditions, scheduling, attitudes from above, customer relations and so much more. Walk in THEIR shoes (otherwise known as empathy) and anyone will glean WHY these fast food businesses are having a problem recruiting and maintaining employees.

:cry: :cry: :cry:
Fast food, historically, has never been a "career" type of job as it usually paid minimum wage, and often served as entry level employment. Many people going into this as teenagers never expected to remain there long term.

In recent years, you have some states with much higher minimum wages than others, and varying labor laws where the fast food restaurants can't hire the younger workers. It is not uncommon to have a minimum age of 18 these days. By that point, as people transition into adulthood, people want something a little more stable and are exploring many other options. I have seen some fast food restaurants advertising starting pay at $18+ an hour. Scheduling and customer relations has a lot to do with how the individual franchises operate though. And, there are a lot of people who seem entitled these days and feel that these entry level types of jobs are deserving of much higher than the minimum wage from the start, even though they have no experience. You do see a lot of older employees in states with higher minimum wages though.

With that said, Jack In The Box in particular seems to be operating like this at far more locations than any other chain. Even Subway is a little more consistent, although they also have many locations closing early now at least the dining areas are open and the A/C is on. Jack In The Box is giving off a vibe that they are struggling to stay open and could go under at any time.
veteran+
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Post by veteran+ »

Agreed and the times have changed of course.

That being said, I believe the companies' current day issues are rooted in an historic practice or way of doing business with THEIR employees that is not sustainable or tolerable with the current talent base. These publicized incentives do not seem to be working. Cause and effect can be a b...............h! I believe these companies are paying the price for their past practices as it pertains to employees. C'est la vie...............nothing is free forever. There is always a reckoning

Older employees are just not gonna put up with their nonsense any longer. The younger enititled types is another story and they often will not be attracted to this type of business (even though at the begining ethnic youth may have no other choice depending on the city).
ClownLoach
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Post by ClownLoach »

Somewhat related - Del Taco is now owned by Jack. Down in Laguna Hills CA they are now paying minimum $21 and max $25 an hour.
Jeff
Service Clerk
Service Clerk

Post by Jeff »

My area Jacks are back to normal, with indoor seating and the two former 24 hour locations are back to 24 hour operations. I havent seen any issues around here. I know many restaurants that were 24 hours are still not. A local mexican restaurant that was 24/7/365 is still operating 8am-10pm and closed on Monday and Tuesday. Norms which touts "We never close" is still 6am or 7am to about 10pm and both my local locations. They have signs now hiring but no one wants to work nights.
Super S

Re: Portland/Seattle area Jack In The Box issues

Post by Super S »

I recently talked to a couple friends who live in the Seattle area, and they have told me that many of the same conditions exist at locations up there, so this appears to be spread out a bit. I updated the title of the thread to reflect this. Jack is the only chain that seems to be sticking to drive-thru or takeout only at a large number of locations.
storewanderer

Re: Portland/Seattle area Jack In The Box issues

Post by storewanderer »

Super S wrote: August 23rd, 2022, 8:48 pm I recently talked to a couple friends who live in the Seattle area, and they have told me that many of the same conditions exist at locations up there, so this appears to be spread out a bit. I updated the title of the thread to reflect this. Jack is the only chain that seems to be sticking to drive-thru or takeout only at a large number of locations.
In Reno, we have Burger King, McDonalds (only the main Reno franchisee, the other surrounding franchisees including Sparks are open as normal), Taco Bell, Popeyes (again...............), Wendys, and Jack in the Box all running very inconsistent with regards to operating hours, having the door unlocked for to go (let alone dine in), and in some cases opening at all on a given day.

This has become quite tiring. Chains like Chickfila, In N Out, they serve their customers and are back to normal or at least trying to be as normal as possible. The single Taco Johns unit in Reno has an owner who actually works in the location and can be seen doing every task in the place from preparing food to cleaning the bathrooms or the windows. The KFC locations in the area are also fully reopened. El Pollo Loco never closed in the first place (except when dine in was restricted) and maintained normal operations the entire time. These chains that can figure out how to actually be open inside, are the ones I go to, even if they are not necessarily my favorite.

Another chain who is having the same issues as the burger chains in Reno with regards to being open normal hours: Starbucks.