Circle K Plots Expansion In Downtown Chicago

Alpha8472

Circle K Plots Expansion In Downtown Chicago

Post by Alpha8472 »

Circle K is planning 10 smaller format stores in the Chicago Loop area of Downtown Chicago. They are half the size of highway locations and have no gas or car washes.

They will compete with 7-Eleven.

https://www.csnews.com/circle-k-plots-e ... wn-chicago
pseudo3d

Re: Circle K Plots Expansion In Downtown Chicago

Post by pseudo3d »

Alpha8472 wrote: August 22nd, 2022, 2:55 pm Circle K is planning 10 smaller format stores in the Chicago Loop area of Downtown Chicago. They are half the size of highway locations and have no gas or car washes.

They will compete with 7-Eleven.

https://www.csnews.com/circle-k-plots-e ... wn-chicago
Before they changed hands several times, downtown stand-alone locations weren't uncommon. Same with other convenience stores before they got hooked up with gas station companies--they were flexible with locations.
storewanderer

Post by storewanderer »

Circle K sees an opportunity to knock 7-Eleven. I wonder how those 7-Elevens in downtown Chicago are, given the franchise situation, there could be some good ones and some bad ones. 7-Eleven has somewhat heavy of a presence in various cities; San Francisco is another one they have decent presence, Boston was as well.
rwsandiego
Store Manager
Store Manager

Post by rwsandiego »

storewanderer wrote: August 22nd, 2022, 9:43 pm Circle K sees an opportunity to knock 7-Eleven. I wonder how those 7-Elevens in downtown Chicago are, given the franchise situation, there could be some good ones and some bad ones. 7-Eleven has somewhat heavy of a presence in various cities; San Francisco is another one they have decent presence, Boston was as well.
Many of the 7-Elevens in downtown Chicago were White Hen Pantry stores. If memory serves, some kept the fresh deli but most didn't. I think Wawa would do well there.
storewanderer

Post by storewanderer »

rwsandiego wrote: August 31st, 2022, 6:41 pm
storewanderer wrote: August 22nd, 2022, 9:43 pm Circle K sees an opportunity to knock 7-Eleven. I wonder how those 7-Elevens in downtown Chicago are, given the franchise situation, there could be some good ones and some bad ones. 7-Eleven has somewhat heavy of a presence in various cities; San Francisco is another one they have decent presence, Boston was as well.
Many of the 7-Elevens in downtown Chicago were White Hen Pantry stores. If memory serves, some kept the fresh deli but most didn't. I think Wawa would do well there.
Wawa would be a much better fit than Circle K. But given they seem to be pulling back from big city locations I question if they would do it. I do think they overexpanded and that is part of why they are pulling back.

I am sure that even fewer 7-Elevens still have a fresh deli if they kept them initially after conversion. 7-Eleven seems to have a way of making everything they touch their way and only their way.

It does seem some off shoots of White Hen remain. But it seems programs did not remain.
Oh Hen Mart 9049 S Stony Is Ave, Chicago, IL 60617

Also seems there was an active White Hen Pantry in Northbourogh, MA in 2016, that has since closed. I wonder how that happened.