$3 Movie Tickets Sept. 3 National Cinema Day

Alpha8472

$3 Movie Tickets Sept. 3 National Cinema Day

Post by Alpha8472 »

Major chains including AMC and Regal Cinemas are participating as well as all the major studios.

Every movie all day in any format is only $3. I paid over $16 for an IMAX ticket to Rogue One last night in the San Francisco Bay Area. The movie theater was practically empty. People are not going to the movies like they used to.

It looked like the theater was going to go out of business. There was one ticket seller at the concession stand on a Saturday night. There were very few employees visible.

The movie theaters make most of their money on concessions. The profit from movie tickets is very low. Anything to attract more customers would help.
SamSpade
Store Manager
Store Manager

Re: $3 Movie Tickets Sept. 3 National Cinema Day

Post by SamSpade »

A local single screener here is playing Grease. I guess that wasn't just at the drive in movies this August.
Are people that nostalgic? Tribute to Olivia Newton-John?

Another that was forced to flip from 2nd run (basically dead now with how fast movies are appearing on streaming platforms) to first run is playing all R rated fare, 2 1980s re-releases and 2 new films.

Others here seem to also be trying with some retro or themed fare.

The chains are running out the last fumes on the early summer releases that are also moving into streaming. Weird time to be a theater operator, for sure.
BillyGr
Store Manager
Store Manager

Post by BillyGr »

SamSpade wrote: August 29th, 2022, 9:01 am A local single screener here is playing Grease. I guess that wasn't just at the drive-in movies this August.
Are people that nostalgic? Tribute to Olivia Newton-John?
That would make sense if they are showing it now (or have recently).
Alpha8472

Post by Alpha8472 »

The new movies coming out this summer have been terrible. The studios need to make better movies. If showing classic movies brings back the customers, I am all for it. Jaws is being re-released in IMAX theaters for 1 week on Labor Day weekend. Spiderman No Way Home is being re-released this Labor Day with 11 minutes of extra footage.

I would love to see the original 3 Star Wars movies re-released.
Alpha8472

Post by Alpha8472 »

The movie theaters are very busy today. The $3 price is really attracting crowds like the way it used to be on busy weekends. It is bringing business to nearby restaurants and stores.

CinemaWest changed their mind and their theaters are doing the $3 tickets today.
Bagels
Assistant Store Manager
Assistant Store Manager

Post by Bagels »

Regal honored the $3 pricing on all showings, even the premium 4DX and Screen X - depending on the movie, tickets can be as much as $35 probably the highest in the country, although with the lack of new blockbusters they were showing the re-release of Spider Man as well as the new Top Gun, both normally $25. Good deal.