Using an Old Receipt to Illustrate Inflation

This is the place for general and miscellaneous posts on topics which might extend past the boundaries of any specific region. No non-grocery posts.
SamSpade
Store Manager
Store Manager

Re: Using an Old Receipt to Illustrate Inflation

Post by SamSpade »

Bagels wrote: November 1st, 2022, 6:16 pm $5 Fridays at Albertsons is becoming Friday Frenzy. About half the items are $5, the other half $6.

They're also advertising Buterball turkeys for $1.47/lb. It'll be interesting what the Signature Select price will be - it was .47 in 2020 and .57 last year.
I kept forgetting to post here that $5 Friday disappeared. Thanks Bagels. :|
storewanderer

Post by storewanderer »

SamSpade wrote: November 7th, 2022, 5:25 pm
Bagels wrote: November 1st, 2022, 6:16 pm $5 Fridays at Albertsons is becoming Friday Frenzy. About half the items are $5, the other half $6.

They're also advertising Buterball turkeys for $1.47/lb. It'll be interesting what the Signature Select price will be - it was .47 in 2020 and .57 last year.
I kept forgetting to post here that $5 Friday disappeared. Thanks Bagels. :|
NorCal Safeway kept $5 Friday last week but the ad just said "FRIDAY" above the items - it no longer said "$5 FRIDAY" - but everything was still $5 or some multiple for $5.

I guess we will see what they do this week. The offer keeps getting worse and worse anyway. I've done almost no shopping at Safeway the past few weeks due to poor ads and terrible everyday pricing.
Alpha8472

Post by Alpha8472 »

The Northern California ad says Fridays, but it is still $5 or multiples for $5. There is a digital coupon required for the Marie Callender's fruit or cream pie. Most people will probably not notice the coupon required and end up paying more.

I seriously doubt most people will take the time to add all these digital coupons. There are so many things that require coupons in the Safeway ad. It might be faster just to rip the coupons out of the paper ad.

The ad says Veterans save 10% if you show your Military ID on November 11.
storewanderer

Post by storewanderer »

Alpha8472 wrote: November 11th, 2022, 4:24 pm The Northern California ad says Fridays, but it is still $5 or multiples for $5. There is a digital coupon required for the Marie Callender's fruit or cream pie. Most people will probably not notice the coupon required and end up paying more.

I seriously doubt most people will take the time to add all these digital coupons. There are so many things that require coupons in the Safeway ad. It might be faster just to rip the coupons out of the paper ad.

Wal Mart has a whole endcap of those pies with a sign above the endcap that says $4.77 (I didn't check to see if they scan that, I think their regular price is $6.97 now). Safeway NorCal's regular price is $11.49.

Safeway has had one digital coupon $5 offer for the past six weeks or so as part of NorCal's $5 Friday. This is an effort to get more active users onto the Safeway Digital Coupon platform that customers hate and don't want to use (and Kroger will push this trash even harder).

I do not recall the exact items but it has been something like
Grapes $1/lb twice but it is limited each time; one time it was red grapes only, another time it was green grapes only, and limit 5 pounds (regular 3.99/lb) - (but this is no deal at all up here in Reno because Smiths green red or black grapes are 1.79/lb everyday and .99/lb all week every few weeks)
12pk Signature Paper Towels (this had a regular price close to $20) $5
veteran+
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Post by veteran+ »

Alpha8472 wrote: November 11th, 2022, 4:24 pm The Northern California ad says Fridays, but it is still $5 or multiples for $5. There is a digital coupon required for the Marie Callender's fruit or cream pie. Most people will probably not notice the coupon required and end up paying more.

Exactly!

In my experience it DOES take longer to clip all these damn digital coupons. I miss a lot of them because of losing patience, not knowing they are there (the ones I want) OR they are in the wrong category.

I have timed Pavilions digital coupons to Ralphs paper coupons................no contest. You can zip through the paper coupons uber fast.
Romr123
Assistant Store Manager
Assistant Store Manager

Post by Romr123 »

And the coupon software they use (Target's software is bad too) reverts back to the top of the page if you need to look at the fine print in the coupon. Highly annoying when you want to see if something's a great deal or just meh.

This week there were -3- Colgate toothpaste coupons in the coupon app--one for $1 off virtually any type, one for $3 off Total plus toothbrushes and mouth rinse, and another for $3 off some of the cosmetic premium varieties (not Total)...the ad had the $3 off Total ad featured (taking price to .99--solid promo price you see at the drug stores) but sure as shooting even if you follow their directions you'll have clipped the inappropriate coupon.

Finally, where did the reverting to zero points at the start of the month happen? Sucks to be part-time residents somewhere. We were out in Palm Springs Aug 20-Sep 14, then Oct 25-Nov 16 and...u know it...zero points as they cleared Sept 1, Oct 1 and Nov 1.
storewanderer

Post by storewanderer »

Romr123 wrote: November 12th, 2022, 8:32 am And the coupon software they use (Target's software is bad too) reverts back to the top of the page if you need to look at the fine print in the coupon. Highly annoying when you want to see if something's a great deal or just meh.

This week there were -3- Colgate toothpaste coupons in the coupon app--one for $1 off virtually any type, one for $3 off Total plus toothbrushes and mouth rinse, and another for $3 off some of the cosmetic premium varieties (not Total)...the ad had the $3 off Total ad featured (taking price to .99--solid promo price you see at the drug stores) but sure as shooting even if you follow their directions you'll have clipped the inappropriate coupon.

Finally, where did the reverting to zero points at the start of the month happen? Sucks to be part-time residents somewhere. We were out in Palm Springs Aug 20-Sep 14, then Oct 25-Nov 16 and...u know it...zero points as they cleared Sept 1, Oct 1 and Nov 1.
They've always reverted to zero points at the start of the month at Safeway and on the typical Kroger fuel points programs too.

Smiths used to roll <100 balance of points over in their old "Rewards" model (where you got back a coupon quarterly 100 points=$1) if you didn't redeem for gas discounts but that is the last I've seen of points roll forward (Raleys points roll forward quarter to quarter, same reward schematic as Smiths used to use as I described above).

The $1 Colgate coupon is gone now, only the 2 $3 ones remain in the app. In NorCal the sale price is 4.99 Total/360 items (toothbrush 1ct regularly 6.49-6.99 and toothpaste 4.8oz regularly 5.99). Outrageous pricing.
Usually better deals with Walgreens on this Colgate stuff (clip digital coupon for x off 2, buy 2 at a time and hope the Catalina printer works to give your reward... big hope there). At Walgreens with the digital coupon for x off 2, you need to get 2 of the same UPC toothpaste for the x off 2 coupon to apply now.
BillyGr
Store Manager
Store Manager

Post by BillyGr »

storewanderer wrote: November 12th, 2022, 4:31 pm The $1 Colgate coupon is gone now, only the 2 $3 ones remain in the app. In NorCal the sale price is 4.99 Total/360 items (toothbrush 1ct regularly 6.49-6.99 and toothpaste 4.8oz regularly 5.99). Outrageous pricing.
Usually better deals with Walgreens on this Colgate stuff (clip digital coupon for x off 2, buy 2 at a time and hope the Catalina printer works to give your reward... big hope there). At Walgreens with the digital coupon for x off 2, you need to get 2 of the same UPC toothpaste for the x off 2 coupon to apply now.
The Total 4.8 oz. is $5.79 in CVS, so they are in the same ballpark (and of course similar, since CVS has a $4/2 coupon and $5 ECB when you spend $10+).

For quite a while the Walgreens deals were mostly W Cash (which loads onto your card) when it came to Colgate items, not sure why they are now all as RR instead. The W Cash is easier to use (can be any $ amount used, not just as you earned it), and doesn't have the same short dates as RR do.
storewanderer

Post by storewanderer »

BillyGr wrote: November 13th, 2022, 10:28 am
storewanderer wrote: November 12th, 2022, 4:31 pm The $1 Colgate coupon is gone now, only the 2 $3 ones remain in the app. In NorCal the sale price is 4.99 Total/360 items (toothbrush 1ct regularly 6.49-6.99 and toothpaste 4.8oz regularly 5.99). Outrageous pricing.
The Total 4.8 oz. is $5.79 in CVS, so they are in the same ballpark (and of course similar, since CVS has a $4/2 coupon and $5 ECB when you spend $10+).

For quite a while the Walgreens deals were mostly W Cash (which loads onto your card) when it came to Colgate items, not sure why they are now all as RR instead. The W Cash is easier to use (can be any $ amount used, not just as you earned it), and doesn't have the same short dates as RR do.
I didn't realize how the price spiked on that 4.8oz Colgate Total. Walgreens had always been under $5 on it (a few different prices in my area depending on the store; 4.29 was the low end and 4.99 was the high end) but I think the high end store is now 5.29 and low end stores are now 4.79-4.99. Today, that Colgate Total 4.8oz is 4.19 at Smiths, 3.96 at Wal Mart (it is 5.1 oz there too, not that I ever buy toothpaste there), and 3.99 at Target.

Largely I gave up on RR deals. Sometimes I still try them, 50/50 on if the RR prints or not. I have a couple stores that will issue points in lieu of the RR not printing. For that to happen, ad tags need to be posted, and one of the stores struggles with getting that task done. The Catalina online form was broken last time I tried to use it but in the past it has worked to have Catalina mail me a replacement coupon. Sometime last year, Catalina's mailed replacements started having different print/font size than the coupons that print in the store and that has been a problem as some stores think those are fake.
BillyGr
Store Manager
Store Manager

Post by BillyGr »

storewanderer wrote: November 13th, 2022, 10:40 am
BillyGr wrote: November 13th, 2022, 10:28 am

I didn't realize how the price spiked on that 4.8oz Colgate Total. Walgreens had always been under $5 on it (a few different prices in my area depending on the store; 4.29 was the low end and 4.99 was the high end) but I think the high end store is now 5.29 and low end stores are now 4.79-4.99. Today, that Colgate Total 4.8oz is 4.19 at Smiths, 3.96 at Wal Mart (it is 5.1 oz there too, not that I ever buy toothpaste there), and 3.99 at Target.

Largely I gave up on RR deals. Sometimes I still try them, 50/50 on if the RR prints or not. I have a couple stores that will issue points in lieu of the RR not printing. For that to happen, ad tags need to be posted, and one of the stores struggles with getting that task done. The Catalina online form was broken last time I tried to use it but in the past it has worked to have Catalina mail me a replacement coupon. Sometime last year, Catalina's mailed replacements started having different print/font size than the coupons that print in the store and that has been a problem as some stores think those are fake.
True - the couple times a reward didn't print, they did just do the points. In one case, it made an even better deal, as they only had the option of $2 or $5 in points (the RR was supposed to be $4), so rather than doing it twice at $2 they just added $5.