Lot Cop cameras

Alaska, Colorado, Idaho, Montana, Oregon, Utah, Washington, and Wyoming. No non-grocery posts.
Super S

Lot Cop cameras

Post by Super S »

I have spent the last few days in various parts of Portland and Vancouver, and have noticed a lot more businesses have been installing the trailer-mounted Lot Cop cameras with the flashing blue lights in parking lots. Several Walmart and Fred Meyer locations have these, and I have seen a WinCo on Andresen Road with the camera trailer in the lot. I have also seen at least one used car lot on 82nd Avenue using these.

Is shoplifting and theft so bad around Portland and Vancouver that businesses are bringing in additional cameras? Or is this just a less expensive way to monitor far-reaching corners of parking lots that store-mounted cameras can't see? (Even though Walmart and others have cameras on light poles at many locations) I have a mixed impression when I see these, especially when they are not consistently present at similar businesses nearby.
storewanderer

Re: Lot Cop cameras

Post by storewanderer »

These are designed to discourage loitering and car break ins. Typically places that install these have an issue with car break ins. Also potentially with people parking in the lot and sleeping in vehicles.

I'm not sure how useful these are for shoplifting as shoplifters don't usually linger around in outer areas or corners of the parking lot. But they could help in seeing what direction a shoplifter goes.

In Reno there is a mildly sketchy Wal Mart next to the completely fine Sam's Club. There are a few lot cops on the Wal Mart side but none on the Sam's side. Sort of funny.

Another reason to bring these is in the event of equipment failure of the pole cameras.
Alpha8472

Post by Alpha8472 »

I have seen these cameras at Walmart parking lots in bad neighborhoods and good neighborhoods. It helps a little. I know many Walmart stores in the San Francisco Bay Area also have security guards driving trucks with cameras recording the parking lot. There are criminals that sit in their cars in the lot waiting to rob people.

The guards drive slowly by and look everyone in the eye to intimidate the shady people until they leave.
babs
Assistant Store Manager
Assistant Store Manager

Post by babs »

Super S wrote: September 2nd, 2022, 9:30 am I have spent the last few days in various parts of Portland and Vancouver, and have noticed a lot more businesses have been installing the trailer-mounted Lot Cop cameras with the flashing blue lights in parking lots. Several Walmart and Fred Meyer locations have these, and I have seen a WinCo on Andresen Road with the camera trailer in the lot. I have also seen at least one used car lot on 82nd Avenue using these.

Is shoplifting and theft so bad around Portland and Vancouver that businesses are bringing in additional cameras? Or is this just a less expensive way to monitor far-reaching corners of parking lots that store-mounted cameras can't see? (Even though Walmart and others have cameras on light poles at many locations) I have a mixed impression when I see these, especially when they are not consistently present at similar businesses nearby.
Yes it is. Most police agencies in the Portland area are understaffed and doing very little patrolling to prevent crime.
storewanderer

Post by storewanderer »

babs wrote: September 3rd, 2022, 10:44 am
Super S wrote: September 2nd, 2022, 9:30 am I have spent the last few days in various parts of Portland and Vancouver, and have noticed a lot more businesses have been installing the trailer-mounted Lot Cop cameras with the flashing blue lights in parking lots. Several Walmart and Fred Meyer locations have these, and I have seen a WinCo on Andresen Road with the camera trailer in the lot. I have also seen at least one used car lot on 82nd Avenue using these.

Yes it is. Most police agencies in the Portland area are understaffed and doing very little patrolling to prevent crime.
In some cases for some retailers, this is also in response to employee car break ins taking place on property. Especially if upper management shows up for a store visit and their car is broken into in the parking lot...

Also the statement babs makes could apply to most police agencies across most of the US. Yet driving around last night around Reno/Carson City/Minden/Gardnerville I saw 10-15 highway patrols with vehicles pulled over. Evidently they received a holiday grant for more traffic enforcement activities. Also heard yesterday in Reno along Wells Ave. (near the police station) the Reno Police were doing cross walk stings throughout the afternoon, another holiday grant. So they do have resources to do certain activities...