Raising Canes and Pricing

storewanderer

Raising Canes and Pricing

Post by storewanderer »

Raising Canes in my area used to be franchises and then became corporate owned in 2019. The size of the chicken strip decreased significantly once the locations became corporate owned. I prefer these smaller/scrawny strips as I like breading better than meat but to most the smaller strips represent a poor value. The pricing they use here in NV seems to be similar to places like AZ, CO, UT. It is lower than CA.

They seemed a little slow at doing price increases during the COVID but they have sure caught up now...

Pricing for 3 strip meal before tax (fry/drink included)
Summer 2019: 6.97
March 2022: 7.99
August 2022: 8.49
September 2022: 9.49

This seems to be a very poor value for the money at this point.
Alpha8472

Re: Raising Canes and Pricing

Post by Alpha8472 »

A new Cane's opened up in Oakland, California near the abandoned Walmart store. The people in this area have never heard of this chain. There were crowds on the first day, but now the lines have died down. The wait time is not long at all now. It has a drive-thru.

The food is better than other fried chicken places, but very expensive. The Loss of the Walmart years ago still makes the shopping center a ghost town even with a freeway tower sign.

The planned Cane's for Berkeley across from student housing has been canceled. The company said it was not a good location after all. The company will search for a new location somewhere else.
Last edited by Alpha8472 on September 3rd, 2022, 8:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
storewanderer

Post by storewanderer »

They have a location in Reno across from the University sort of above but near a ton of student housing and it is a very small location (no drive through) and does incredible volume.

I prefer Popeyes to this product far and away (where a 3 piece strip meal costs 7.29 or something) but I know too many others who seem to be addicted to Raising Cane's.
Bagels
Assistant Store Manager
Assistant Store Manager

Post by Bagels »

I usually get the Box Como. It’s been $10.99 for awhile, but the app shows the price has increased to $11.59. The price is consistent at all local locations. The tenders are noticeably smaller than in years’ past, but the listed calorie count is unchanged.

For $11.49, you can get a 5-piece meal at my local KFC. It includes a drink, biscuit, two sides and as many sauces as you want. I was a huge Cane’s fan for many years, and super excited when they began opening up SoCal locations five years ago. But I’ve come to realize I prefer KFC, but sometimes we’ll get itty bitty tenders and for the price it ticks me off.

In 2020, KFC ran $20 bucket promotions. One included 12 tenders with four biscuits and two large sides. Granted, the price of chicken has swelled, but today that same mea is $50 locally. Crazy.
steps
Receiving Clerk
Receiving Clerk

Post by steps »

I actually got Cane's tonight for dinner.

When they first opened locations here, they were jam packed. They are still extremely busy but they have fixed their efficiency issue with multiple employees taking orders out side. They even have an employee at the drive thru window outside going down the line handing out orders which makes the lines go extremely fast.

Pricing is insane.

$17.85 for a 6-pc meal and $9.99 for a 3-pc meal.

It's pretty good chicken but really not worth the cost.
storewanderer

Post by storewanderer »

Bagels wrote: September 4th, 2022, 6:31 pm I usually get the Box Como. It’s been $10.99 for awhile, but the app shows the price has increased to $11.59. The price is consistent at all local locations. The tenders are noticeably smaller than in years’ past, but the listed calorie count is unchanged.

For $11.49, you can get a 5-piece meal at my local KFC. It includes a drink, biscuit, two sides and as many sauces as you want. I was a huge Cane’s fan for many years, and super excited when they began opening up SoCal locations five years ago. But I’ve come to realize I prefer KFC, but sometimes we’ll get itty bitty tenders and for the price it ticks me off.

In 2020, KFC ran $20 bucket promotions. One included 12 tenders with four biscuits and two large sides. Granted, the price of chicken has swelled, but today that same mea is $50 locally. Crazy.
Raising Canes Box Combo was 7.81 in Reno in 2019 (10.99 now).

Google Reviews on the CA Raising Canes locations seem to be worse than any other region. I think they are making a serious mistake with this pricing but maybe they are trying to decrease foot traffic at their locations since they are so overcrowded or something?

Popeyes app or website has various promotions on tenders. Right now they have a promotion 6 tender/2 side/2 biscuit 9.99 (was 7.99 until a few months ago) and also a promotion 24.99 14 tender/2 large side/5 biscuits (was like 17.99 until a few months ago...)....
Bagels
Assistant Store Manager
Assistant Store Manager

Post by Bagels »

storewanderer wrote: September 5th, 2022, 12:45 am
Bagels wrote: September 4th, 2022, 6:31 pm I usually get the Box Como. It’s been $10.99 for awhile, but the app shows the price has increased to $11.59. The price is consistent at all local locations. The tenders are noticeably smaller than in years’ past, but the listed calorie count is unchanged.

Raising Canes Box Combo was 7.81 in Reno in 2019 (10.99 now).

Google Reviews on the CA Raising Canes locations seem to be worse than any other region. I think they are making a serious mistake with this pricing but maybe they are trying to decrease foot traffic at their locations since they are so overcrowded or something?

Popeyes app or website has various promotions on tenders. Right now they have a promotion 6 tender/2 side/2 biscuit 9.99 (was 7.99 until a few months ago) and also a promotion 24.99 14 tender/2 large side/5 biscuits (was like 17.99 until a few months ago...)....
Cane’s rarely has lines anymore, except after special events. I assume it’s because they’ve opened a healthy number of stores locally in the past five years but I’m just assuming. Most Cane’s consumers are high school aged, and after football / basketball / dances it can be crowded, but other than that, I can order on the app and grab my food in less than 5 minutes.

Cane’s is priced competitively with KFC and Popeyes, so I don’t think pricing is an issue. When I try using Popeyes coupons at the Mission Viejo store, it won’t process my order so presumably they’re not accepting those offer. BK had been doing that for awhile - my local franchise will no longer take the free fries coupon (but will take the $1 coupon). Other coupons are excluded too but you don’t find out until you check out. I noticed that like JITB, BK had been issuing less coupons recently.
storewanderer

Post by storewanderer »

Bagels wrote: September 5th, 2022, 2:59 am

Cane’s rarely has lines anymore, except after special events. I assume it’s because they’ve opened a healthy number of stores locally in the past five years but I’m just assuming. Most Cane’s consumers are high school aged, and after football / basketball / dances it can be crowded, but other than that, I can order on the app and grab my food in less than 5 minutes.

Cane’s is priced competitively with KFC and Popeyes, so I don’t think pricing is an issue. When I try using Popeyes coupons at the Mission Viejo store, it won’t process my order so presumably they’re not accepting those offer. BK had been doing that for awhile - my local franchise will no longer take the free fries coupon (but will take the $1 coupon). Other coupons are excluded too but you don’t find out until you check out. I noticed that like JITB, BK had been issuing less coupons recently.
Interesting. Reno/Sparks Cane's routinely have 20+ cars lined up for drive through. I have noticed sometimes when I drive by Sparks it is empty. Reno one even on a slow day that drive through is a 10 car line up. I see people of all ages going to Raising Cane's but it is that teen/20s demographic that seems to really love the place. Kids don't seem to like it too much (probably because they know the chicken is not very good). If you order on the app for ASAP they bump your order to first priority and even if other orders are already in the system from walk in or drive through customers, yours gets put first in line.

The pricing here is not competitive with Popeyes (can't speak for KFC) anymore; $1-$2 more per meal. The franchisee who has Popeyes here has about 600 locations mostly in the middle of the US (nothing on the west coast) and seems to use the same pricing at all locations. Many of those locations cross with Raising Cane's who uses the same price scale as here in AZ, TX, CO, UT, and various other states. I do not think Raising Cane's and Popeyes generally attract the same customer.
Bagels
Assistant Store Manager
Assistant Store Manager

Post by Bagels »

storewanderer wrote: September 5th, 2022, 12:23 pmInteresting. Reno/Sparks Cane's routinely have 20+ cars lined up for drive through. I have noticed sometimes when I drive by Sparks it is empty. Reno one even on a slow day that drive through is a 10 car line up. I see people of all ages going to Raising Cane's but it is that teen/20s demographic that seems to really love the place. Kids don't seem to like it too much (probably because they know the chicken is not very good). If you order on the app for ASAP they bump your order to first priority and even if other orders are already in the system from walk in or drive through customers, yours gets put first in line.

The pricing here is not competitive with Popeyes (can't speak for KFC) anymore; $1-$2 more per meal. The franchisee who has Popeyes here has about 600 locations mostly in the middle of the US (nothing on the west coast) and seems to use the same pricing at all locations. Many of those locations cross with Raising Cane's who uses the same price scale as here in AZ, TX, CO, UT, and various other states. I do not think Raising Cane's and Popeyes generally attract the same customer.
The Lake Forest Cane's opened near me five year ago (right off the super busy 5/El Toro) and was so busy, workers would prevent people from entering the parking lot (for either sit down or drive through) much of the day. One time we parked in front of the adjacent Farmer Boy's, and they had my car towed (the only time in my life I've been towed). I spent ~$400 between Uber and fees to the tow company. I was in the wrong, no doubt, but Farmer Boy's parking lot was otherwise empty, so a warning would've been nice. Today, Cane's has a solid business, but finding a parking spot or getting in line at the drive through is no longer a challenge.

I agree Popeye's doesn't target the same customer. It seems like outside of the south, most Popeye's are centered around urban areas. The Popeyes near me in Mission Viejo is rarely busy, but the adjacent Sonic always is. Near my parent's house in the Midwest, all of the Popeyes outside of the urban core went out of business. A franchisee built several Hardees (the few locations in town... when i was a kid, there were a ton of them, but they were sold to Wendy's and became mostly TIm Horton's) and they flipped to Popeye's but didn't last long with that concept either.
storewanderer

Post by storewanderer »

Bagels wrote: September 6th, 2022, 2:25 pm
The Lake Forest Cane's opened near me five year ago (right off the super busy 5/El Toro) and was so busy, workers would prevent people from entering the parking lot (for either sit down or drive through) much of the day. One time we parked in front of the adjacent Farmer Boy's, and they had my car towed (the only time in my life I've been towed). I spent ~$400 between Uber and fees to the tow company. I was in the wrong, no doubt, but Farmer Boy's parking lot was otherwise empty, so a warning would've been nice. Today, Cane's has a solid business, but finding a parking spot or getting in line at the drive through is no longer a challenge.

I agree Popeye's doesn't target the same customer. It seems like outside of the south, most Popeye's are centered around urban areas. The Popeyes near me in Mission Viejo is rarely busy, but the adjacent Sonic always is. Near my parent's house in the Midwest, all of the Popeyes outside of the urban core went out of business. A franchisee built several Hardees (the few locations in town... when i was a kid, there were a ton of them, but they were sold to Wendy's and became mostly TIm Horton's) and they flipped to Popeye's but didn't last long with that concept either.
Farmer Boys sound like absolute pricks. I suppose it is impressive their tow truck company was monitoring it so closely. I assume they called and tipped them off unless the tow truck driver was lurking in the lot watching for people to "park and leave" (this tactic is common up at Lake Tahoe, especially the parking lot with the Raleys at state line CA). I have been involved with businesses in the past who have posted signs about customer parking only/tow truck and the arrangement we had was basically if we called and asked them to tow a specific vehicle and they came and towed it (often would take days for them to even show up), it was no benefit whatsoever to us, other than to get the vehicle off of the property.

The Popeyes locations in Reno have done extremely well. They are some very high volume units and have done well from day one, well above average performing for Popeyes. I notice the locations in Sacramento suburbs just have a trickle of business, but a few older 30+ year old ones more toward the middle of Sacramento run high volumes. The Popeyes that took over a string of KFCs in Chico/Redding/Yuba City/Oroville areas have done quite poorly, I am surprised they are still open; those units were more productive as KFCs but the franchisee got into trouble and YUCK didn't try to save them.