Pet Supermarket Closing Sparks NV 10/1

storewanderer

Pet Supermarket Closing Sparks NV 10/1

Post by storewanderer »

Pet Supermarket will close the Sparks, NV location on 10/1. They are supposedly keeping a very small and oddly configured location open in South Lake Tahoe, CA. The next closest location is in Texas. The stores are supplied from a warehouse in Florida.

Pet Supermarket opened in Reno (Northtowne Lane, moved to Sparks about 10 years ago) around 1995 as a franchise operation with a local owner and South Lake Tahoe was also a franchise (Emerald Bay Road on the side of the old Kmart; they relocated to their current odd building about 15 years ago). At some point the corporate bought out the franchisees. I think there may have been more locations out west at some point but for the past 20+ years these two locations have been a strange island far removed from the rest of the chain.

I am disappointed as I liked Pet Supermarket. While their mix was not as good as Petsmart, they had some different items, and were an enjoyable store to shop in. They are a far better store than Petco.
bryceleinan
Personnel Manager
Personnel Manager

Re: Pet Supermarket Closing Sparks NV 10/1

Post by bryceleinan »

I always wondered how they survived in the area given PetSmart, Chewy, and Pet Station. We have not been in there for several years, since we can order most of our food from Chewy, or pick it up at another local store.
storewanderer

Post by storewanderer »

bryceleinan wrote: September 10th, 2022, 10:32 am I always wondered how they survived in the area given PetSmart, Chewy, and Pet Station. We have not been in there for several years, since we can order most of our food from Chewy, or pick it up at another local store.
I think Pet Supermarket made an odd decision moving from Northtowne Lane to this Sparks location. I know they did it when Wal Mart left Northtowne, but I don't know... that WinCo is so busy... seems like it should have been worth staying. The Petco across the street from Northtowne is somewhat busy (for a Petco). Pet Station has a very limited assortment, even more limited then Petco (though they will order items in)...

What I noticed with that Sparks location is they always had steady foot traffic but it was always low ticket sales. They had a store manager in there for a while who rode employees bad and I think that caused some serious problems. Different manager now, but too little too late. I was surprised it made it as long as it did.
storewanderer

Post by storewanderer »

Pet Supermarket is packing the items up from the closing store. They ordered in a couple pallets of boxes from Home Depot.

Not clear where they are sending these items or why they are doing it this way. The South Lake Tahoe Store is very small, it cannot even fit its regular delivery that comes from the Florida warehouse in the store. There have been various pallets on the front sidewalk of the store on my last two visits as they cannot fit everything in the store that comes in. The next closest store is in Texas.