Walmart Downsizing Stores?

Predicting the demise of Sears & Kmart since 2017!
Brian Lutz
Store Manager
Store Manager

Re: Walmart Downsizing Stores?

Post by Brian Lutz »

I know the Tulalip store in Marysville has been remodeling to add one of these "Market Fulfillment Centers" at some point in the near future, but progress seems slow in this particular store. Given the fact that we are planning to move out of the area soon I suspect I won't see the completion of that particular project, but the idea behind the fulfillment center strategy seems to be to create an area in the store where products frequently ordered for pickup or delivery can be handled by automated equipment, reducing the need for manual pickers inside the store. So far these seem to be popping up mostly in the largest stores, but I would expect them to based more on geography as more of them appear.
BatteryMill
Shift Manager
Shift Manager

Post by BatteryMill »

This is happening to another store I know that remodeled less than three years ago. I honestly think retailers really need to keep track of when their stores are last remodeled, because it can turn out to be a waste of money and set them back next time the renovation cycle arrives.
BatteryMill
Shift Manager
Shift Manager

Post by BatteryMill »

BatteryMill wrote: September 21st, 2022, 10:39 pm This is happening to another store I know that remodeled less than three years ago. I honestly think retailers really need to keep track of when their stores are last remodeled, because it can turn out to be a waste of money and set them back next time the renovation cycle arrives.
Note that a large enough area of the store had been carved out for pickup. The remodel had a bit of a valid reason with the floorplan changes and all but I think the pandemic is a core reason they wanted to stuff in that after not doing so the last time.