Popeye's Operations

storewanderer

Re: Popeye's Operations

Post by storewanderer »

Alpha8472 wrote: November 18th, 2022, 3:26 pm Popeye's has a new blackened chicken sandwich. It is marinated and fried with no breading.
The blackened chicken sandwich is excellent. I ordered one a week ago, late at night, and the meat was definitely dry and struck me as a smaller piece than it should have been. I ordered it without mayo and without pickle so just meat and bun. It was coated with the blackening fully and really good. The cost was 5.49 which I think was about right if not slightly overpriced (the fried version of the chicken sandwich costs 4.99).
jamcool
Store Manager
Store Manager

Post by jamcool »

storewanderer wrote: October 14th, 2022, 1:56 pm
Alpha8472 wrote: October 14th, 2022, 1:22 pm Fried chicken strips are so expensive everywhere now. Jack In the Box in the San Francisco Bay Area has 4 strips for $6.39. Or 6 strips for $8.39.
I don't understand chicken strip pricing. A chicken sandwich patty is basically the same thing as chicken strips. I think there is more chicken in a KFC Sandwich (4.49-4.99 here) than in 3 strips yet the sandwich costs about $2 less than 3 strips alone would cost.

Popeyes in Reno still has strips at 1.49 each (alone) but it seems to be a price error. Their button for 1 strip comes up 1.49. Their button for 2 strips comes up 4.59. Their button for 3 strips comes up 5.69 (yet the 3 strip dinner with side/drink is only 6.69).
It takes more cutting /breading/spices to make a chicken strip than a breast.
Alpha8472

Post by Alpha8472 »

Popeye's is offering a free chicken sandwich with a chicken combo purchase on the app or website until January 1. You cam choose from the blacken chicken, regular chicken, or spicy chicken sandwich.

https://www.brandeating.com/2022/12/pop ... -2022.html
storewanderer

Post by storewanderer »

Alpha8472 wrote: December 20th, 2022, 10:21 pm Popeye's is offering a free chicken sandwich with a chicken combo purchase on the app or website until January 1. You cam choose from the blacken chicken, regular chicken, or spicy chicken sandwich.

https://www.brandeating.com/2022/12/pop ... -2022.html
They were running this deal earlier this month too (or maybe it was late December).

The locations in my area have already discontinued the Blackened Chicken Sandwich. Supposedly sales were too slow. It is no longer on the ordering app. It would be nice if they made that a cook to order item similar to the blackened tenders (50/50 on if they fulfill the order for those blackened tenders or not though... usually some excuse).

It seems like sales on the Popeyes sandwich have slowed way down. Their sandwich just isn't that great. Lots of hype, but the KFC sandwich is actually a lot more flavorful. Popeyes CORE menu items (bone chicken and tenders) are just a lot better with more distinctive flavor. As a long term Popeyes customer and Popeyes being a fast food chain that I never get tired of and want to take a break from due to never getting tired of the flavor of the food, that crispy sandwich, which I've ordered only a couple of times, did not even taste like something from Popeyes to me. Tasted like it could have come from anywhere.
Alpha8472

Post by Alpha8472 »

That's too bad that Popeye's is so inconsistent about the availability of the blackened chicken tenders.

There are so many chicken sandwiches at different restaurants now. I tried Wendy's, Burger King, and McDonald's. They all seem so bland.

I tried the Krispy Krunchy Chicken sandwich and it was slightly spicy with an interesting slightly sweet sauce. It was much better than those other chains. I found one location selling it for $1.69. What a bargain! The Cajun style fried chicken was much more expensive, but very good.
storewanderer

Post by storewanderer »

Alpha8472 wrote: December 21st, 2022, 12:29 am That's too bad that Popeye's is so inconsistent about the availability of the blackened chicken tenders.

There are so many chicken sandwiches at different restaurants now. I tried Wendy's, Burger King, and McDonald's. They all seem so bland.

I tried the Krispy Krunchy Chicken sandwich and it was slightly spicy with an interesting slightly sweet sauce. It was much better than those other chains. I found one location selling it for $1.69. What a bargain! The Cajun style fried chicken was much more expensive, but very good.
I think Krispy Krunchy is very variable depending on who makes the chicken and how long it has been out. It can be a good product. The side items don't look appealing. I prefer the Chester's program because it has a potato wedge side item that is cut up fresh potatoes and breaded in the chicken breading, also the chicken is very similar to Popeyes.

I used to really like the spicy chicken at Wendy's. Wendy's uses a pressure fryer to fry the chicken pieces and they are noticeably jucier than most fast food chicken (other than Chickfila, KFC, etc.). I haven't ordered one in a while due to the price hikes but I did get a "classic" or whatever non-spicy crispy chicken sandwich at Wendys on a free promotion a while back and wasn't impressed with its flavor or texture; had I paid the 5.79 asking price I would have been quite unhappy. This is not the same as the old "homestyle" crispy chicken they were selling a few years ago and had been selling for decades prior which was basically the same patty as spicy but not spicy. Not sure why they changed it.

I know better than to try any crispy chicken sandwich offer at McDonalds at this point. They just can't get it right. Ever. They should probably just go back to McNuggets and value menu McChickens and call it a day with regards to chicken products.
storewanderer

Post by storewanderer »

Popeyes seems to be taking some price increases.

The Reno Popeyes have price increased the 3 piece chicken strip combo (1 side, small drink, biscuit) to 9.99. It was like 7.49 or so before. I took a look at the Concord, CA Popeyes which with the Post Falls, ID Popeyes (both run by NorCal Cajun) are the highest priced Popeyes I've ever seen and they definitely do one better - 14.59 for the 3 piece chicken strip (1 side, small drink, biscuit) combo. Unreal.
Alpha8472

Post by Alpha8472 »

That Concord, California location looks like they are trying to drive away all of their customers. I have had some awful experiences there. I once waited at the drive thru ordering speaker for 20 minutes before they answered. Then they said, "Are you still there?" Perhaps they were hoping all of their customers would just go away.

A 35 minute wait for food in the dining room is common. Customers are complaining like crazy.

It amazes me that the restaurant still stays in business. They think that people in the suburbs of the San Francisco Bay Area must be rich and willing to pay outrageous prices. It is true that Popeye's may be popular, but they are driving away so many potential customers. There are cheaper options at various other fast food restaurants nearby.
storewanderer

Post by storewanderer »

Alpha8472 wrote: December 23rd, 2022, 11:22 am That Concord, California location looks like they are trying to drive away all of their customers. I have had some awful experiences there. I once waited at the drive thru ordering speaker for 20 minutes before they answered. Then they said, "Are you still there?" Perhaps they were hoping all of their customers would just go away.

A 35 minute wait for food in the dining room is common. Customers are complaining like crazy.

It amazes me that the restaurant still stays in business. They think that people in the suburbs of the San Francisco Bay Area must be rich and willing to pay outrageous prices. It is true that Popeye's may be popular, but they are driving away so many potential customers. There are cheaper options at various other fast food restaurants nearby.
That franchisee no longer has most of the locations it once had. They ran the locations in Yuba City, Chico, Lodi, etc. horribly. Food was okay though. Service was not okay. Those locations since changed to different franchisees and are still awful.

I have no clue how they can price like this 14.00+ for a 3 piece tenders 1 side 1 biscuit 1 drink in Post Falls, Idaho or Nampa, Idaho. I guess if people will pay it... What is funny is their prices are higher than the Popeyes in Anchorage (checked its prices on the ordering app).
BillyGr
Store Manager
Store Manager

Post by BillyGr »

storewanderer wrote: December 24th, 2022, 12:24 am I have no clue how they can price like this 14.00+ for a 3 piece tenders 1 side 1 biscuit 1 drink in Post Falls, Idaho or Nampa, Idaho. I guess if people will pay it... What is funny is their prices are higher than the Popeyes in Anchorage (checked its prices on the ordering app).
Having seen how things are often priced in Alaska, that is really strange.

Though, I guess if there was one spot in Alaska where prices are more similar to the rest of the USA, Anchorage would be that spot (for instance, arriving on the train, we did spot a Walgreens that had the digital sign, and their milk price at the time was basically equal to what they were charging here in NY at that time).