Popeye's Operations

Brian Lutz
Store Manager
Store Manager

Re: Popeye's Operations

Post by Brian Lutz »

Popeye's pricing seems to be all over the place depending on the location. Just looking around at a few locations I've been to in various places, here are some of the prices I've found for the 3 piece tender combo:

Everett WA (Nearest to my former home): $12.99
Midvale UT (Nearest to my current location): $8.49
Post Falls ID: $14.59 (One possible reason for the high price here is that I cannot find any other locations in Northern Idaho or the Spokane metro area.)
Las Vegas NV (Location near McCarran Airport; Wanted to look at the airport location pricing but that one doesn't allow mobile orders): $9.99
Atlanta GA (Popeyes' home town: There's also two Popeye's locations in the ATL airport but mobile ordering isn't available at that location. Looking at photos on Google Maps seems to suggest airport pricing is in line with standalone restaurant pricing there though): $8.49

There are other locations I could check but they seem to be closed for the holidays so their mobile order menus are unavailable.

One location in particular I wanted to look at was one in Rock Hill SC near where I was staying last weekend, because they face unusually strong competition with the large number of Bojangles locations found throughout the Carolinas (which could be a post of its own, but that's for another time.) In fact, this location on Cherry Road in Rock Hill is almost right next door to a Bojangles and a Chick-Fil-A, plus a KFC just a couple blocks away.. For comparison, here's the cost of a 3 piece tender combo at each of these locations:

Popeye's: $10.79
Bojangles: $8.39
KFC: $7.49

And a 2 piece bone-in combo at these three locations:

Popeye's: $9.39 (1 side and a drink)
Bojangles: $6.99 (2 sides and no drink, adding a small drink would be $1.99 for a total of $8.98)
KFC: $7.49 (1 side and a drink)

In general Popeye's seems to be higher priced than most of the competition, so people are going to expect a higher quality product. That said, the pricing at Popeye's seems to vary wildly from relatively inexpensive to horrendously overpriced.
storewanderer

Post by storewanderer »

Utah Popeyes has the same franchisee as Reno/Sparks, they have much of CO/AZ and a big chunk of TX also, they have 600+ Popeyes. So it appears they did a small price increase in Utah also but not all the way to 9.99 for 3pc Tender Combo like they did in Reno.

The franchisee with Post Falls, ID also has Nampa; Concord, CA; Berkeley, CA; and a few others. All of their locations have the same pricing.

The one in LAS Airport doesn't use the Popeyes cash register so no ability to do mobile orders there. Not sure how they are getting out of that requirement but they play by their own rules there and are a lot of fun to deal with. They won't provide a water cup either (claiming no water spout on the drink machine, which is true, they tore it off). Before COVID they actually had a single breast and biscuit for under $4, not advertised anywhere. Single wing was 2.29 (also included a biscuit). Basically at Popeyes, all single piece purchases include a biscuit, or used to (seems like in Reno they don't anymore). Haven't tried them since COVID.

Anchorage is 10.99 for 3 tender/1 side/1 biscuit/1 drink combo

My view is Popeyes offers a superior product, but not superior service or experience by any stretch. Their pricing is getting too high, many locations are in lower income areas. Pretty much all of their NorCal locations are in lower income areas or offramps. A point comes where you price your product higher than what the customers in the neighborhoods can afford and this turns into a problem. While in some markets like Portland and Seattle, the Popeyes are few and far between and seem to be a novelty of sorts (perhaps justifying high prices), but in some of the long term markets in the South where they have a penetration of locations, they are a commodity, not a novelty, and just cannot command such high pricing.

The bigger problem I have is with franchisees that try to charge 14.59 for a 3 piece tender/1 side/1 biscuit/1 drink meal. Then another franchisee not far away is 9.99 for this item. The average customer is not aware of this type of pricing swing and may just assume every Popeyes charges 14.59 and every Popeyes is a ripoff and not go to any Popeyes anymore anywhere. This is where these franchise chains have a big problem when they get franchisees that want to run highway robbery pricing that is 40%+ above other franchisees not very far away. Wendys has this same problem in my opinion with pricing of its franchisee in Sacramento/Fresno/Santa Rosa- 30-40% higher than surrounding franchisees. This type of thing is very bad for consumer expectations and consistency.
BillyGr
Store Manager
Store Manager

Post by BillyGr »

storewanderer wrote: December 24th, 2022, 8:28 pm The bigger problem I have is with franchisees that try to charge 14.59 for a 3 piece tender/1 side/1 biscuit/1 drink meal. Then another franchisee not far away is 9.99 for this item. The average customer is not aware of this type of pricing swing and may just assume every Popeyes charges 14.59 and every Popeyes is a ripoff and not go to any Popeyes anymore anywhere. This is where these franchise chains have a big problem when they get franchisees that want to run highway robbery pricing that is 40%+ above other franchisees not very far away. Wendys has this same problem in my opinion with pricing of its franchisee in Sacramento/Fresno/Santa Rosa- 30-40% higher than surrounding franchisees. This type of thing is very bad for consumer expectations and consistency.
Seems like that would be a good time for a location to have some type of sign where a couple items could be posted with prices (like many places have done with specials over time).

Hopefully, that way someone driving by that went to the expensive store would see the better deals and try that location.
cjd
Assistant Store Manager
Assistant Store Manager

Post by cjd »

Having tried Popeyes a few times, but only in drive thru, I find the quality and customer service great. It’s just they don’t seem to offer a lunch or meal for one person. It seems all of the portions are just too large even with their $6 box.

Overall seems a decent value, although I’d also like to see more sides available.

All they really have is rice, Cole slaw, fries or mashed potatoes (another potato).

Why not another veggies or macaroni?
Brian Lutz
Store Manager
Store Manager

Post by Brian Lutz »

They have introduced a Macaroni and cheese side fairly recently, although it comes with an upcharge in a combo meal. There's also a Red Beans and Rice side which is quite popular, although probably not to everyone's taste.
storewanderer

Post by storewanderer »

cjd wrote: December 25th, 2022, 4:59 pm Having tried Popeyes a few times, but only in drive thru, I find the quality and customer service great. It’s just they don’t seem to offer a lunch or meal for one person. It seems all of the portions are just too large even with their $6 box.

Overall seems a decent value, although I’d also like to see more sides available.

All they really have is rice, Cole slaw, fries or mashed potatoes (another potato).

Why not another veggies or macaroni?
They do carry a 2 piece "dinner" (their term) which is 2 pieces bone in chicken, 1 side, 1 biscuit (no drink). Also a 3 piece tender "dinner."

They also had, may still have, a $6 box which had 2 strips, 4 small shrimp, 1 side, and 1 biscuit which is what I'd describe as a pretty small serving of food.

Other option would be just ordering by the piece.

Their side items vary a lot in size; the containers are often not close to full. If the containers are full, it is a good serving. They also tend to very generously portion fries if you take fries as a side. Supposedly container size is not the same thing as portion size which is ladle/scoop based.
Alpha8472

Post by Alpha8472 »

Popeye's is now selling a Blueberry Lemon Cream Cheese pie. It is deep fried just like the other current pie: the apple cinnamon pie.

Perhaps some other places will try out deep fried pies. Many people are asking for it.
storewanderer

Post by storewanderer »

Alpha8472 wrote: January 4th, 2023, 5:20 pm Popeye's is now selling a Blueberry Lemon Cream Cheese pie. It is deep fried just like the other current pie: the apple cinnamon pie.

Perhaps some other places will try out deep fried pies. Many people are asking for it.
Pie sales are so slow they have become a cook to order item at Popeyes in my area. Along with the blackened tenders (when they'll agree to make them). Some 2 for .99 pie sales may help drive interest in their pies.