Walmart Restrooms Closed, Porta Potties Brought In

Predicting the demise of Sears & Kmart since 2017!
storewanderer

Re: Walmart Restrooms Closed, Porta Potties Brought In

Post by storewanderer »

timanny wrote: September 13th, 2022, 7:10 pm
Alpha8472 wrote: September 13th, 2022, 12:08 am The Walmart in Pleasanton is not a Supercenter and the manager of the store was fired a short time ago. The store has been suffering from a lack of sales. It is a ghost town with very few customers and tons of out of stock items. The manager could not handle his store and they got rid of him. The store might have 1 cashier at night or it might be totally self checkout only.

This store suffered when they opened two Walmart Neighborhood Markets nearby. Those 2 locations drained many of the customers and left the big Walmart with very low sales. Even the McDonald's inside of this Walmart shut down a short time ago. Sales were terrible at that location.

Costco is building a new store very close to the Walmart. I believe that this Walmart is going to close as soon as Costco opens. The two Neighborhood Market stores do not do that much business either.
It's Pleasanton. I don't think they're too keen on Walmart there. Those who really want to shop Walmart can head to the Livermore store 10 minutes away.
Wal Marts around Reno typically have one cashier until 8 PM then go self checkout only. Some stores some nights may have a cashier later but it is not consistent. Customer service closes at all random times; sometimes they are closed in the afternoon/evening. These are all Supercenters.

I would be very surprised if Pleasanton D1 closed. The reason they opened those two Neighborhood Markets was because they were not allowed to do a Supercenter in Pleasanton. I would see them adding more food into the Pleasanton Wal Mart and closing one or both of the Neighborhood Markets, if they can (does Pleasanton have a limit on how much square footage of food they can sell? Susanville another D1 store left has such a limit on food square footage).

However that Pleasanton D1 looks past due for a remodel. The only other location I know of that still has that interior is Susanville (got that interior somewhat late in a remodel in around 2019 and also kept its white floors). The lack of a remodel is somewhat suspicious as to the future of the store.

Costco may help the Wal Mart; it will bring a lot more people to the area.
Alpha8472

Post by Alpha8472 »

The Walmart in Pleasanton is not that close to the future Costco. I would think that Costco customers buy huge amounts at Costco and then head home. It is usually one stop shopping. The Walmart is so awful that no one wants to shop there. There are aisles where tons of items are locked in glass cabinets and no employees to unlock them

Walmart has managed to create a store where you cannot even buy the merchandise because it is locked in cabinets. They have driven away even their loyal customers and the lack of sales further cuts allotted employee labor hours. It is a downward spiral.

The Walmart Neighborhood Market in San Ramon is not being remodeled. The restrooms are just clogged and not being fixed. The store has never been remodeled since it opened September 18, 2012.

The store used to be 24 hours and then it switched to closing at midnight. It started closing at 6 PM during the pandemic. It was doing so badly, I thought that it was going to close down years ago. However, it has since returned to closing at 11 PM. There is no service meat, there is no service Bakery, there is no deli counter. This store is the grocery section at Walmart with a pharmacy. The selection is not that great. You need to make another trip to a real supermarket to buy service meat, better produce, and service deli products.

The other nearby Neighborhood Market has also not been remodeled since it opened. The Division 1 Walmart in Pleasanton has received only cheap repainting and signs over the years. The cash register counters are old and from an ancient decor package. All three of these stores seem like they not receiving any upkeep because they could close very soon.
storewanderer

Post by storewanderer »

That San Ramon Store was an okay performing Albertsons and an okay performing very well run Ralphs. The Asian grocer who took the spot over after Ralphs closed had a lot of challenges operating and did not make it. I was surprised when Wal Mart took the space over, it did not strike me as a great fit for Wal Mart.

Most Wal Mart Neighborhood Markets are as you describe. Some have an unimpressive service deli but most I have seen do not. This format takes away so much labor. This is basically the F4L/Food Maxx format but laid out like a Wal Mart. Low labor, no fresh departments with in-store prep, low upkeep, and can survive on real low volume. With how high Safeway pricing is, if I was in San Ramon, I'm sure I'd go to the Wal Mart for packaged items and frozen/dairy.