Quik Trip Denver- Open

storewanderer

Quik Trip Denver- Open

Post by storewanderer »

Quik Trip is now open in Denver. There are two locations currently open one in Denver and one north of Denver in Firestone. There are at least 3 other locations under construction and many more in the pipeline.

There is an independently owned P66 in Firestone who is doing a price war with them and gas there is around 3.06.
At the Denver one the gas is around 3.39 and I saw cheaper gas in other areas of Denver and many other stations near the Denver QT also around 3.39 (3.37 3.41 etc. including some 7-Elevens). The other cheap ones nowhere near a QT that I saw was 3.19-3.29 at multiple stations including some Shells around Centennial and worst was most stations around 3.89 in Castle Rock. Even the Rocket P66 at Denver airport which over the past 20+ years has always had about the highest price in the Denver metro area was only 3.57. The Rocket P66 at Denver airport seems to be making up for its low price with a dirty store, pumps that don't accept cards so you have to go inside, restrooms that are not cleaned very often, and filthy self checkout screens that don't seem to be clean or work well (after I did my fuel prepay on the self checkout, a receipt printed and a box popped up that said "Obtain Customer Signature" but there was no signature line on the receipt and when I pressed ok on that box it brought me back to the home screen of the self checkout unit). There were 3 employees behind the counter 2 ignoring customers despite a line of 5 customers at the 1 register.

The QT stores that are open seem to be staffed by a mix of local employees and imported employees. I asked a couple who were long tenured employees (name badge shows year they started) where they were from and both said they were from Oklahoma but there helping out. There are signs up that they are hiring at 18.87/hr, part time very flexible available. The stores are very heavily staffed and very busy. They are running great as would be expected for a new market entry and many customers seemed very excited to see QT in the market and were asking where other locations were.

The stores have the standard offer but the layout is slightly changed from the prototype I had been used to seeing them build in the past 5 years. Fountain drink and the 16 brewed iced tea flavors are now on the same side of the store vs. opposite side which is fine and probably makes sense. The checkout area is now coming off of the back wall and in front of the QT Kitchens area. I am not really impressed by this layout, I liked the previous layout better for some reason. Parts of this layout including the fountain drink lid area, the area on the corner of coffee/donut case, and even checkout area seemed bad for traffic flow (blind corners and not enough space). Then around checkout you have people leaving checkout then there is a stream of customers still shopping walking from one side of the store to the other that the leaving customers have to "break through."
jamcool
Store Manager
Store Manager

Re: Quik Trip Denver- Open

Post by jamcool »

QT doesn’t compete with other operators on fuel price (they used to be cheaper in Phoenix but not anymore-they are the same as Circle K (with the exception of that Easy Pay scheme CK runs here)
storewanderer

Re: Quik Trip Denver- Open

Post by storewanderer »

jamcool wrote: September 12th, 2022, 12:03 am QT doesn’t compete with other operators on fuel price (they used to be cheaper in Phoenix but not anymore-they are the same as Circle K (with the exception of that Easy Pay scheme CK runs here)
Thinking about it over the years for whatever reason I have never purchased much fuel from QT anywhere I've traveled. But I've sure purchased a lot of iced tea.

In many markets where I have seen QT, it seems like fuel price doesn't vary much from one chain to another or one part of town to another. Denver has some wide swings depending where you are in the area. It will be interesting to see how they handle fuel pricing.