Employees Of A Home Depot Store File To Unionize

Alpha8472

Employees Of A Home Depot Store File To Unionize

Post by Alpha8472 »

A Home Depot store in Philadelphia has filed to unionize. The 274 employees included in the petition are filing through the Home Depot Workers United Union.

https://chainstoreage.com/home-depot-wo ... e-unionize
storewanderer

Re: Employees Of A Home Depot Store File To Unionize

Post by storewanderer »

Another of these unions with zero history, zero reputation, and zero credibility. No established benefits program and basically nothing to offer other than trying to cause trouble. Founded by an employee. I wonder who is funding it.

Can't wait to see how these fly by night unions play out 1-2 years from now. Probably the same way many fly by night non profit organizations play out.
veteran+
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Post by veteran+ »

Perhaps, but better than Home Depot's HR department supposedly speaking on behalf of their own employees regarding their "issues".
storewanderer

Post by storewanderer »

veteran+ wrote: September 23rd, 2022, 7:43 am Perhaps, but better than Home Depot's HR department supposedly speaking on behalf of their own employees regarding their "issues".
I am not so sure of this even. Maybe but maybe not. These new unions with no history, unknown funding status, no lawyers of their own on union payroll who are trained to handle HR related issues...

A union with no structure, no experience, and no history is a total and complete unknown. And I'm not singling out this one here, this comment is in general.
storewanderer

Post by storewanderer »

This union vote was lost. Not sure who was funding this union with zero history or benefits package arrangements anyway. The vote wasn't even close either.

Should have tried to align with Teamsters. I suspect that would have resulted in a winning vote for the Union.

So there are 274 employees
51 voted yes to union
165 voted no to union
58 didn't vote at all (maybe they were all "yes" to union but decided not to vote because they knew it was a lost cause)

Basically only about 18% of all employees voted in support of the union and only 24% of voting employees voted in support of this union. This is really awful for this zero history mystery money funded union. A more sophisticated union wouldn't have even gone through with a vote if they sensed that little of interest from the employee pool.

Have we ever seen organizing votes in the past where only 18% of the employees voted to organize? This seems highly unusual and a VERY poor showing here. Big embarrassment for the union movement. I also think all employees should be required/forced to vote. Even it means adding a "none of the above" option or a "refrain from voting" option. This would ensure nobody was stopped from voting and no other funny business occurred with ballots from employees who did not vote.

https://www.foxbusiness.com/economy/phi ... union-vote