San Francisco International Airport Food Service Workers Strike

Alpha8472

San Francisco International Airport Food Service Workers Strike

Post by Alpha8472 »

Over 1,000 food service workers went on strike at San Francisco International Airport today. They are represented by 1 union.

https://www.sfgate.com/news/article/sfo ... 463252.php
storewanderer

Re: San Francisco International Airport Food Service Workers Strike

Post by storewanderer »

Alpha8472 wrote: September 26th, 2022, 4:46 pm Over 1,000 food service workers went on strike at San Francisco International Airport today. They are represented by 1 union.

I've always wondered how they can get people to work in these airports in these food and retail positions, typically these people working in these places provide a very rude level of service and I have long been suspicious they are not paid well or treated well. It is not easy for employees to go to/from work at an airport and they need a security clearance to work there. Parking is also a hassle. Paying 1 cent above minimum wage in any market but especially a very high cost market like San Francisco is quite pathetic. Also these food and retail outlets at SFO have some of the highest prices in the country. Where is all of the money going? Is it going to the airport authority?
bryceleinan
Personnel Manager
Personnel Manager

Post by bryceleinan »

storewanderer wrote: September 26th, 2022, 10:39 pm
Alpha8472 wrote: September 26th, 2022, 4:46 pm Over 1,000 food service workers went on strike at San Francisco International Airport today. They are represented by 1 union.

I've always wondered how they can get people to work in these airports in these food and retail positions, typically these people working in these places provide a very rude level of service and I have long been suspicious they are not paid well or treated well. It is not easy for employees to go to/from work at an airport and they need a security clearance to work there. Parking is also a hassle. Paying 1 cent above minimum wage in any market but especially a very high cost market like San Francisco is quite pathetic. Also these food and retail outlets at SFO have some of the highest prices in the country. Where is all of the money going? Is it going to the airport authority?
The airport does get commissions, however, I’m guessing the master lessor (Paradies / HMS Host / Aramark / Chartwells) - not sure who SFO uses is making the most bank.
storewanderer

Post by storewanderer »

bryceleinan wrote: September 27th, 2022, 6:43 am

The airport does get commissions, however, I’m guessing the master lessor (Paradies / HMS Host / Aramark / Chartwells) - not sure who SFO uses is making the most bank.
I think SFO kicked out HMS Host, never hard Aramark or Chartwells in the first place. May have been using SSP.

My understanding is SFO partnered with "local" businesses to run many of the restaurants in the airport. In their selection process they have a scoring metric that gives preferential treatment to woman/minority owned businesses and independent businesses is my understanding. There isn't much branded food in SFO anymore.
bryceleinan
Personnel Manager
Personnel Manager

Post by bryceleinan »

storewanderer wrote: September 27th, 2022, 8:13 pm
bryceleinan wrote: September 27th, 2022, 6:43 am

I think SFO kicked out HMS Host, never hard Aramark or Chartwells in the first place. May have been using SSP.

My understanding is SFO partnered with "local" businesses to run many of the restaurants in the airport. In their selection process they have a scoring metric that gives preferential treatment to woman/minority owned businesses and independent businesses is my understanding. There isn't much branded food in SFO anymore.
That’s an odd one… they do direct leases.

Coffee lease in terminal 2 requires a minimum payment (MAG) of $420k per year - with a 10 year term, more below:

For each Lease Year, the base rent shall be the higher of the MAG or the following tiered percentage rent:
• 6% of Gross Revenues achieved up to and including $1,500,000.00, plus,
• 8% of Gross Revenues achieved from $1,500,000.01 up to and including $2,500,000.00, plus,
• 10% of Gross Revenues achieved over $2,500,000.00
storewanderer

Post by storewanderer »

HMS Host appears to have an AA Admiral's Club, some Starbucks, and one random concept at SFO.

SSP America has some things but I can't tell what (they used to have a Wendys)...

I think HMS Host burned out many airports in the 00's with too many Burger Kings and Pizza Hut Expresses. Or those "Chilis Too" things when they were really going all out.
Alpha8472

Post by Alpha8472 »

The 3 day strike succeeded in getting employees a $5 increase in pay. They also got free family healthcare.

https://www.sfgate.com/travel/article/s ... 484420.php
storewanderer

Post by storewanderer »

Alpha8472 wrote: October 3rd, 2022, 5:06 pm The 3 day strike succeeded in getting employees a $5 increase in pay. They also got free family healthcare.

https://www.sfgate.com/travel/article/s ... 484420.php
Sounds pretty good, at least puts them on par with UFCW type wages and benefits in the area grocery stores...

Minimum wage and having to pay union dues on that minimum wage is a complete joke.