Fake Meats Sales Slide On Price & Being Too Woke

This is the place for general and miscellaneous posts on topics which might extend past the boundaries of any specific region. No non-grocery posts.
veteran+
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Re: Fake Meats Sales Slide On Price & Being Too Woke

Post by veteran+ »

Gardein is not bad.
rwsandiego
Store Manager
Store Manager

Post by rwsandiego »

This quote from JSTOR Daily sums up mock foods quite nicely:

"...As Patricia Roberts wrote in Gastronomica in 2003—long before the Impossible Burger began to amaze Burger King customers with its striking similarity to low-quality beef—mock foods have always impressed people less by being delicious than by offering an element of astonishment..."
Romr123
Assistant Store Manager
Assistant Store Manager

Post by Romr123 »

TBH I'm just as happy with a veggie/bean patty for a burger...fake burgers aren't a value-add to me.
pseudo3d

Post by pseudo3d »

Beyond Meat's sales are about to plummet as news is spreading of their main factory in deplorable conditions (mold on every surface, etc.).
Alpha8472

Post by Alpha8472 »

I am highly allergic to mold. I tried the Beyond Burgers from McDonald's almost everyday when it first came out. I got horrible allergic reactions all over my skin. I had no idea what was causing it at that time. I stopped getting the Beyond Burgers and suddenly the allergic reactions went away.
storewanderer

Post by storewanderer »

Romr123 wrote: November 24th, 2022, 6:27 am TBH I'm just as happy with a veggie/bean patty for a burger...fake burgers aren't a value-add to me.
The veggie/bean patties are often pretty clean on the ingredients lists too.

This fake meat stuff, Beyond, etc., is.... very long ingredient lists.

We need to get back to basics. This stuff with the long ingredient lists strikes me as the absolute worst for the health of who is consuming it.
Romr123
Assistant Store Manager
Assistant Store Manager

Post by Romr123 »

Bought one of the fake burger products and was aghast to see that there was as much oil cooked out of them in the bottom of the pan as with a beef burger.
Alpha8472

Post by Alpha8472 »

Many of these fake meat products use coconut oil which is high in saturated fat. It is really greasy.

I only tried the fake meat to see if it tasted like beef. It was similar, but somehow off. Many people tried it and then never got it again. I don't know why Burger King still sells the Impossible Burger. I don't think many people even order that. Burger King is constantly offering deals with the Impossible Whopper.
storewanderer

Post by storewanderer »

Alpha8472 wrote: November 25th, 2022, 3:46 pm Many of these fake meat products use coconut oil which is high in saturated fat. It is really greasy.

I only tried the fake meat to see if it tasted like beef. It was similar, but somehow off. Many people tried it and then never got it again. I don't know why Burger King still sells the Impossible Burger. I don't think many people even order that. Burger King is constantly offering deals with the Impossible Whopper.
Burger King probably has a contract.

Note they have not expanded this alternative meat stuff to Popeyes, despite KFC selling some alternative meat nuggets (do they even still have them?).
Alpha8472

Post by Alpha8472 »

KFC ran out of the fake meat nuggets shortly after it was introduced. People were curious to try it at first, but they did not demand that it be brought back.