McDonald's selling adult Happy Meals

Brian Lutz
Store Manager
Store Manager

McDonald's selling adult Happy Meals

Post by Brian Lutz »

McDonald's, in collaboration with Cactus Plant Flea Market (one of those "Urban Streetwear" brands I've never heard of that sells horrendously overpriced merchandise aimed squarely at the demographic that spends $100 on a brick because it has a Supreme logo on it) has started selling the Cactus Plant Flea Market Box through their mobile app, which basically amounts to an adult Happy Meal. The contents are a standard Big Mac or 10 piece Chicken McNugget combo served in an oversized Happy Meal box with one of four "toys" for a cost of roughly $2 higher than the regular combo price, creepy four-eyed versions of McDonaldland characters (Birdie, Grimace and Hamburglar, no Ronald for some reason) and CPFM's mascot. On their side, CPFM is selling various McDonald's themed merchandise, including a shirt based on the notorious "Coke spoon" coffee stirrers offered in McDonald's restaurants in the 1970s and 80s. Merchandise prices range from $60 to $250.

I suspect this stuff will sell like hotcakes in urban McDonald's locations, while out in the suburbs most people will have no idea what's going on.
Alpha8472

Re: McDonald's selling adult Happy Meals

Post by Alpha8472 »

They sell these adult Happy Meals so that people will buy them and post photos and videos on social media. Then more people will go to McDonald's and buy these adult meals so that they can also post on social media.

These toys are ugly and disturbing. It is only because of social media that people are buying this junk.
Alpha8472

Post by Alpha8472 »

I was at McDonald's and they were sold out. These toys are selling for over $100 on the internet.

It did increase sales at McDonald's. The employees were telling people left and right that they were sold out. The people still bought something. McDonald's was making a ton of extra sales on this campaign.

When it was on sale, I saw tons of these adult happy meal boxes in the trash. The people clearly just wanted the toys. Even on the internet people were making videos showing off their toys with piles of french fries and wasted food.
storewanderer

Post by storewanderer »

Kind of creepy toys but I remember the old food box toys that turned into a robot or whatever.
Alpha8472

Post by Alpha8472 »

This promotion shows staffing issues at McDonald's. It made McDonald's too busy. They could not handle the massive increase in orders.

McDonald's should have hired more people and also should have had more toys ready to go.

Other fast food chains are probably noticing this and are preparing similar adult kids meals with collectible toys. It could be a big money maker for fast food restaurants. People are willing to spend money on this stuff.

https://www.nrn.com/workforce/mcdonald- ... challenges
storewanderer

Post by storewanderer »

When workers are complaining the business is too busy... I don't know.

Really need to do something so ALL employees are directly ($$$) incentivized when sales increase... these businesses are so broken.
cjd
Assistant Store Manager
Assistant Store Manager

Post by cjd »

I don’t understand the toys. If they wanted to include a adult Happy Meal toy why four eyes? I might have been more interested if the toys weren’t so dumb looking.
storewanderer

Post by storewanderer »

They should have just sold the toys separately for $4.99 each or something.

I think McDonalds misses the mark in a lot of ways lately in the US.
Another location in my area is closed inside again so they can demolish the self serve drink area. This is a location that was just remodeled/reimaged 3 years ago. What a waste.