Schnucks "Flexible" Scheduling

Illinois, Indiana, Iowa, Kansas, Kentucky, Michigan, Minnesota, Missouri, Nebraska, North Dakota, Ohio, South Dakota, and Wisconsin. No non-grocery posts.
storewanderer

Schnucks "Flexible" Scheduling

Post by storewanderer »

https://www.supermarketnews.com/issues- ... e-doing-it

Looks like they are trying to do something similar to what Amazon does. $12.85/hour, they would not get ANYONE to work for that in Nevada. I guess St. Louis commands lower wages (and with a roughly 5% state income tax and union dues on top of that... ouch).

Actually though this is the type of program many retailers are going to need to shift to. What I wonder if can people literally just sign up and only work a shift or two a month (or go months without taking a shift)? Unions usually have a minimum hours guarantee but maybe this position is exempt from that.
SamSpade
Store Manager
Store Manager

Re: Schnucks "Flexible" Scheduling

Post by SamSpade »

Most of Oregon's populated counties start at $13.50 ($14.75 in the most populated ones). Washington statewide will be $15.74 shortly.

I find this idea interesting. The way I read some scenarios:
1) You're a part-time associate at a store because they are not busy enough for a full-time hire. You are unionized and work your assigned responsibilites per your store's agreement. You're hoping to move to full-time, possibly for increased benefits covered for FTE.

You keep your original position but are also authorized to work as a Flexforce employee. Because this is a "new classification" your employer hires you for a different rate of pay for some hours. But, you can select schedules that do not conflict with your present position and home store, then choose to go work for additional stores that you can reasonably travel to (by personal vehicle or public bus). At this point you start earning full-time hours and receive the step up in benfeits.

2) You're a college student, second parent/income, or some other situation in life where you have some flexibility in how much you can reasonably work but want to earn income. Once set up, assuming you have dependable transport, you can work at any available location and choose shifts where you can reasonably make your life work. This is also how the "gig economy" works for those that work for Lyft/DoorDash/GrubHub/Uber/Postmates in food and person delivery. Probably not leading to a long-term career, but good enough to earn money. Also, with the grocery employer, you will work a full selected shift/hours you've chosen, rather than relying on the whims of the marketplace to grab you a "fare" to make money.