Self Checkout - Home Depot vs Lowes

ClownLoach
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Self Checkout - Home Depot vs Lowes

Post by ClownLoach »

In a recent post somewhere I saw mention of Lowe's abysmal self checkout with the obsolete NCR units, and I mentioned that I saw a store testing a newer unit that appeared to run the same touchscreen register system as the regular Lowe's cash register.

Both Lowe's and Home Depot seem to be going in opposite directions now.

Last week my local Lowe's removed all but three checkouts in the main register area and installed four banks of these new self checkout registers. They are fast, they're slick, they do run the same POS the cash registers use which is very interesting to say the least. There is no register/kiosk for the cashier to supervise now (as the NCR units had) so now the cashiers supervising the area actually walk around and help customers with the system and probably focus closely on high shrink or high dollar items. They have all cordless scanners, huge touch screens that are very responsive and feel "solid", and half accept cash. Ultimately they were a net addition of registers at my local Lowe's (they had 5 checkstands and 2 self checkout in the regular non "pro" area, now they have 8 self checkout and 3 checkstands).

Home Depot, who went mainly self checkout a few years ago except for the "pro" desk, has just halted self checkout completely. I have been in 4 locations this last week and all are now staffing these registers. The "self checkout" signs are either turned backwards or the word "self" is taped over. The store nearest the above mentioned Lowe's had 12 self checkouts, when I was there the other day they had 4 of them staffed with cashiers and all the others were turned off with "lane closed" on the screen.

I am in a very good area so I doubt this is a shrink issue, and I have seen this sudden removal of self checkout in four Home Depot stores including one over 30 miles from the other ones.

So Lowe's is massively expanding and upgrading self checkout - and Home Depot seems to be halting it completely.

Wonder why these two have suddenly diverged in such different ways?
storewanderer

Re: Self Checkout - Home Depot vs Lowes

Post by storewanderer »

Was in two Reno Stores today and the front end at Home Depot looks the same as always. Self checkouts were still functioning as self checkouts. Both of these just have a pod of 4 self checkouts, a handfull of standard checkstands, and down a ways the pro checkouts. These front ends were renovated (all new equipment and counters) within the past 5 years. In SoCal, Home Depot had trialed some self checkout only stores over a decade ago. One Reno Store got that set up very briefly but reversed it quickly and threw in a couple checkstands (in addition to the PRO checkstands), their checkstands have conveyor belts like a supermarket at that store, sort of weird.

Probably 15 years ago now I saw the exact scenario you describe at a Wal Mart in Sacramento on Florin (store has since closed or relocated). It had those "homegrown" self checkouts Wal Mart came up with on its own (not the NCRs). They had duct taped over the signs that said self checkout and had a clerk behind one of them ringing customers up and it was very awkward. I was told it was due to theft reasons. Only went there once so never know what came of it.

I suspect a Home Depot Regional Loss Prevention person has gotten on a big power trip. Or maybe Loss Prevention is understaffed and cannot monitor self checkouts... I would complain to Home Depot corporate about the lack of self checkout at all of those different stores at all of those different approximate dates/times and see what type of explanation they provide.
HCal
Assistant Store Manager
Assistant Store Manager

Post by HCal »

storewanderer wrote: October 10th, 2022, 10:27 pm Or maybe Loss Prevention is understaffed and cannot monitor self checkouts...
This made me laugh... let's hire more cashiers because we don't have enough loss prevention people!

Well, they probably won't hire more cashiers, just expect the already overworked front end staff to figure it out.
storewanderer wrote: October 10th, 2022, 10:27 pm I would complain to Home Depot corporate about the lack of self checkout at all of those different stores at all of those different approximate dates/times and see what type of explanation they provide.
I'm sure they will give you some fancy non-answer about how they removed the self checkout to improve customer satisfaction :lol:
storewanderer

Post by storewanderer »

HCal wrote: October 10th, 2022, 10:47 pm
storewanderer wrote: October 10th, 2022, 10:27 pm Or maybe Loss Prevention is understaffed and cannot monitor self checkouts...
This made me laugh... let's hire more cashiers because we don't have enough loss prevention people!

Well, they probably won't hire more cashiers, just expect the already overworked front end staff to figure it out.
storewanderer wrote: October 10th, 2022, 10:27 pm I would complain to Home Depot corporate about the lack of self checkout at all of those different stores at all of those different approximate dates/times and see what type of explanation they provide.
I'm sure they will give you some fancy non-answer about how they removed the self checkout to improve customer satisfaction :lol:
I highly doubt corporate approved this conversion of self checkouts. I could be wrong but I think this was a regional decision and it will be reversed quickly.

Not sure how wage scales go at Home Depot but my guess is a loss prevention agent isn't paid much more than a cashier, and the cashier has a less risky job. Home Depot loss prevention will chase and detain. There are enough other retailers that do not chase and detain that I suspect many in the loss prevention field seek out jobs at those retailers. Much easier to go around making sure the emergency exit is clear, the employees taped a receipt to the drink they bought, and investigate some cash shortages than do chase and detain and worry what may happen to you.
veteran+
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Post by veteran+ »

Complaining to Home Depot is like talking to the wall.

If you are lucky, you will get childish excuses. If you are not lucky you will get an almost hostile response.
ClownLoach
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Post by ClownLoach »

storewanderer wrote: October 10th, 2022, 11:00 pm
HCal wrote: October 10th, 2022, 10:47 pm

I highly doubt corporate approved this conversion of self checkouts. I could be wrong but I think this was a regional decision and it will be reversed quickly.
I suspect this is a test at Home Depot, and not a well executed one either due to the lack of professional signage (duct tape, marker signs, stencil signs). Seems to be concentrated on Riverside County. Clearly they've been given extra payroll to do this which would not be something they could do without corporate approval. Never seen so many cashiers at Home Depot here. So far seen it at both stores in Corona, Temecula, and Corona. So two "nice areas" and two that are probably higher shrink (Corona locations which both are in rough areas). Murrieta has now made homemade signs that say "Assisted Checkout" in the self checkout area.

I did not see this signed in Anaheim Hills at the flagship "Superstore" but when I approached the self checkout there were no other customers and the employee directed me to a self checkout but then proceeded to pick up the scanner and scanned the few items in my cart then backed up and allowed me to make my payment and collect the receipt.

Separately if you like home improvement stores the Anaheim Hills "superstore" is truly a delight to visit. Largest Home Depot store outside of one in New Jersey and pretty much carries every SKU in the company that is not a cold weather item. Weird location that's hard to get in and out of (former Super Kmart). They also tend to get a lot of high end design items like fancy lighting..... But it doesn't always sell, so you can usually find some amazing clearance buys there. I got a $400 chandelier for $65 recently. Every hard to find item I've needed for my house has been there, in stock and ready when no other Home Depot or Lowe's or ACE had what I needed. Just a great store. When you first walk in it doesn't seem like a gigantic store because it unfortunately has a lower ceiling due to the Kmart construction, but once you start walking around you quickly realize the aisles are twice as long as any other Home Depot. Categories a normal HD stocks one or two bays of are instead one or two aisles. Just love that place.
storewanderer

Post by storewanderer »

I've had them scan the items in my cart as I walk up too, multiple times over the years at night when there are no other customers around.

It is hard to believe they'd add extra payroll for this and tolerate such expense for any amount of time. Loss prevention definitely on a big power trip here. Let's see how long this lasts. Did you notice how staffing looked around PRO Checkout and Customer Service? I am wondering if they moved employees from those areas to these checkouts.

Home Depot has gone back and forth calling the self checkouts "assisted checkouts" for years (many other stores like that term too). That has been part of their employee training for years to call them "assisted checkouts." Yet they put signs up in the store that say "SELF checkout."

Home Depot Self Checkout had some odd things about it. For instance I did a return there that needed ID. I then received a Home Depot Store Credit. When I went to redeem the store credit at self checkout, it prompted for assistance and the employee needed ID again to scan in order to process the transaction. However a couple days later I went to that same store and used a regular checkout and used the remainder of that store credit and the system at the regular checkout did not prompt for ID (I was watching the screen the whole time).

Also sounds like they are going to a one line set up.
https://toolguyd.com/home-depot-stores- ... -checkout/
cjd
Assistant Store Manager
Assistant Store Manager

Post by cjd »

My local Lowes used to have only two self checkouts that were often closed, which was perplexing to me given Home Depot’s amount that are always open.

As of about a month ago Lowes installed new checkouts, replacing the two existing ones, and adding two more. Since then, they always seem to be open.

Home Depot installed it’s new checkouts here o want to say last year.
BillyGr
Store Manager
Store Manager

Post by BillyGr »

storewanderer wrote: October 14th, 2022, 12:52 am I've had them scan the items in my cart as I walk up too, multiple times over the years at night when there are no other customers around.

It is hard to believe they'd add extra payroll for this and tolerate such expense for any amount of time. Loss prevention definitely on a big power trip here. Let's see how long this lasts. Did you notice how staffing looked around PRO Checkout and Customer Service? I am wondering if they moved employees from those areas to these checkouts.
If there is no one else there, why not scan items for you - it's not holding anyone else up, and giving the employee something to do rather than stand and watch.
storewanderer

Post by storewanderer »

Had to go to both Lowes in my area today to find an item I couldn't find at Home Depot (as usual).

First one hasn't changed front end, but the 4 beat up NCRs were functioning with an employee sitting at a chair in front of them who was not very pleasant, pointed at me the direction I needed to walk to exit the store and said nothing with a scowl on his face (just the service I expect from Lowes, especially that location). Still had old Verifone pinpads on these self checkouts too, also real beat up.

Went to the next Lowes which is newer. This one previously only had 2 self checkouts despite having space for more. Now it has 4 total self checkouts, kiosk type models, which remind me of the kiosk type ones I've seen rarely at Wal Mart locations, and also at Rite Aid. Completely different interface and worked quite well. Basically seemed like a copy of Home Depot's self checkout. Newer pinpads from a different vendor that worked much faster also. This one had a much more friendly employee overseeing them who was walking around active and monitoring what was going on.

The receipt that spit out of both of these self checkouts looked exactly the same. Somehow they have gotten both softwares to interface into their super old POS system.