Amazon Workers Reject Union

Covering the wide world of online shopping!
Alpha8472

Amazon Workers Reject Union

Post by Alpha8472 »

Amazon workers at a warehouse on Staten Island rejected the union almost 2 to 1. A larger warehouse nearby did vote for the union in April 2022.

https://chainstoreage.com/report-amazon ... union-vote
storewanderer

Re: Amazon Workers Reject Union

Post by storewanderer »

I've heard Amazon is closing a lot of warehouses lately.
TW-Upstate NY
Shift Manager
Shift Manager

Post by TW-Upstate NY »

Just to clarify-that warehouse is located in the Albany area which is nowhere near Staten Island. And I'm sure the company put the pressure on those people to make sure things went their way which is pretty much SOP for them-(unfortunately.)
BillyGr
Store Manager
Store Manager

Post by BillyGr »

TW-Upstate NY wrote: October 19th, 2022, 10:32 am Just to clarify-that warehouse is located in the Albany area which is nowhere near Staten Island. And I'm sure the company put the pressure on those people to make sure things went their way which is pretty much SOP for them-(unfortunately.)
I thought maybe there were two doing it at the same time :)

To be exactly technical, it is in Schodack, which is a town about 10(ish) miles from downtown Albany via an Interstate (and this warehouse can be seen from said highway, though it is accessed from a US Route on the opposite side).

They had a couple things going on, including a locally televised event to support people voting for (or against, I guess) the union by a group that was working on trying to get one in, so I'm not sure just how much could have been done to pressure people to go against it.
veteran+
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Post by veteran+ »

You would be surprised at the creative lengths that companies will take to prevent unions inside their business (legal, illegal, overt, clandestine, gentle, rough, etc.).