Jack In The Box Take Out Only Locations

BatteryMill
Shift Manager
Shift Manager

Re: Jack In The Box Take Out Only Locations

Post by BatteryMill »

Brian Lutz wrote: October 21st, 2022, 3:59 pm It's a little surprising that removing the dining room only reduces buildout costs by 20%, you would think it would be more than that.
Well, I guess they do want to save whatever costs they can, and who knows what operational costs may be in the long run.
jamcool
Store Manager
Store Manager

Post by jamcool »

Remember, McDonalds didn’t have inside seating until the late 60s, and no drive thru until the 70s.
rwsandiego
Store Manager
Store Manager

Post by rwsandiego »

I've eaten inside of a fast-food restaurant three times in the last five years and only one time inside of a Jack In the Box despite having eaten there for 22 years. Fast food restaurants are just not inviting.

This is a perfect concept for Jack In The Box.
storewanderer

Post by storewanderer »

rwsandiego wrote: October 22nd, 2022, 4:39 pm I've eaten inside of a fast-food restaurant three times in the last five years and only one time inside of a Jack In the Box despite having eaten there for 22 years. Fast food restaurants are just not inviting.

They should at least have an indoor take out counter then, or some picnic tables outside. Something...

This takes uninviting to a new level.

It is basically like Sonic in terms of structure of building. Nothing really breakthrough happening here. At least it has a walk up window, I guess, that is something Sonic doesn't have.

Also tough to try to grow your business when all you have is a drive through or walk up... sort of limits how much volume you can do. For this to be a viable concept they probably need to get the cost to build it to be 50% below a standard dine in unit.
BillyGr
Store Manager
Store Manager

Post by BillyGr »

storewanderer wrote: October 22nd, 2022, 7:29 pm They should at least have an indoor take out counter then, or some picnic tables outside. Something...

It is basically like Sonic in terms of structure of building. Nothing really breakthrough happening here. At least it has a walk up window, I guess, that is something Sonic doesn't have.

Also tough to try to grow your business when all you have is a drive through or walk up... sort of limits how much volume you can do. For this to be a viable concept they probably need to get the cost to build it to be 50% below a standard dine in unit.
I do remember a (now closed) Sonic that had more of a walk-up ordering speaker. They had a few tables out front, so I suspect that is what the speaker was designed for, but you could simply stand there and get your order and take it back to the car if you wanted to do so, rather than waiting in drive thru or a car hop spot.
pseudo3d

Post by pseudo3d »

storewanderer wrote: October 22nd, 2022, 7:29 pm
rwsandiego wrote: October 22nd, 2022, 4:39 pm I've eaten inside of a fast-food restaurant three times in the last five years and only one time inside of a Jack In the Box despite having eaten there for 22 years. Fast food restaurants are just not inviting.

They should at least have an indoor take out counter then, or some picnic tables outside. Something...

Not sure what Sonics are like in your part of the country, but here almost every Sonic (even the ones built in the early 1990s) have a covered area in front with a menu board and a picnic table or two. Full eat-in Sonics are rare and if they exist, they're usually occupying an existing building.
storewanderer

Post by storewanderer »

pseudo3d wrote: October 24th, 2022, 11:59 am

Not sure what Sonics are like in your part of the country, but here almost every Sonic (even the ones built in the early 1990s) have a covered area in front with a menu board and a picnic table or two. Full eat-in Sonics are rare and if they exist, they're usually occupying an existing building.
Sonic is as you describe here. There is a speaker to place orders from the patio/picnic table area. There are also customer restrooms available though I would not suggest them. One Sonic has a dine in area, detached from the main building, and it has a speaker inside also to place orders. Another Sonic I went to in Utah had a dine in area directly next to the main building and it also had a speaker inside to place orders. There used to be a Sonic in a gas station in Roseville, CA that actually had a walk up counter where you ordered directly face to face with an employee, and they converted the car wash into a drive through for Sonic; this was since sold to 7-Eleven, the Sonic is gone, and the car wash is a car wash again.

It appears the Jack in the Box has a walk up window but no outdoor seating, no restroom for customers, etc.

I think there is an eat in Sonic in downtown Denver (or was).
BillyGr
Store Manager
Store Manager

Post by BillyGr »

pseudo3d wrote: October 24th, 2022, 11:59 am Not sure what Sonics are like in your part of the country, but here almost every Sonic (even the ones built in the early 1990s) have a covered area in front with a menu board and a picnic table or two. Full eat-in Sonics are rare and if they exist, they're usually occupying an existing building.
The earlier ones in this region (mainly south of Albany, like Kingston/Poughkeepsie, which have since closed) were what I was describing and what you describe as well.
The more recent ones in the Albany area do have eat in areas - one was the site of a former Hardees turned chinese buffet. but as I remember they removed the old building and rebuilt there, and the other one is a site that was just parking lot previously.
Maybe they have found the eat in areas better in regions like this where outdoor eating is tough for many months of the year?
pseudo3d

Post by pseudo3d »

BillyGr wrote: October 25th, 2022, 10:58 am
pseudo3d wrote: October 24th, 2022, 11:59 am Not sure what Sonics are like in your part of the country, but here almost every Sonic (even the ones built in the early 1990s) have a covered area in front with a menu board and a picnic table or two. Full eat-in Sonics are rare and if they exist, they're usually occupying an existing building.
The earlier ones in this region (mainly south of Albany, like Kingston/Poughkeepsie, which have since closed) were what I was describing and what you describe as well.
The more recent ones in the Albany area do have eat in areas - one was the site of a former Hardees turned chinese buffet. but as I remember they removed the old building and rebuilt there, and the other one is a site that was just parking lot previously.
Maybe they have found the eat in areas better in regions like this where outdoor eating is tough for many months of the year?
Texas has more Sonic restaurants than anywhere else--in small towns it's probably more common than McDonald's, and in many cases a Sonic has been in town longer than McDonald's has (McDonald's was generally late to the party as far as Texas goes, as a result, small towns didn't get their McDonald's restaurants until the late 1980s at the very earliest).

Despite it being extremely hot in some regions--a walk-up ice cream chain based out of Florida failed because of some outdoor concerns, the Sonics have still kept their outside format. Not that there aren't outliers, a Huntsville Sonic built a new drive-through system but has seating inside of a former Del Taco restaurant.
storewanderer

Post by storewanderer »

Similar for Sonic in Oklahoma and Kansas given that is where they started, they are in some towns that typically would not have chain fast food given their size/location (2 road highways). I do notice those tend to be smaller Sonics.