J-Man
Personnel Manager
Personnel Manager

SaveMart Using Amazon For Delivery

Post by J-Man »

storewanderer

Re: SaveMart Using Amazon For Delivery

Post by storewanderer »

I don't know why Save Mart would do this. Amazon Fresh has stores planned throughout Save Mart's territory.

I guess the Instacart Pick up program in Reno isn't working. I don't see anyone using their pick up service EVER. No staged orders, nobody picking orders in the store, nothing in the coolers... The problem is this is because Save Mart in Reno isn't working despite various recent improvements and has never worked. But they better get Save Mart in Reno working because we need them here as an additional competitor.
buckguy
Store Manager
Store Manager

Post by buckguy »

storewanderer wrote: October 29th, 2022, 9:39 pm I don't know why Save Mart would do this. Amazon Fresh has stores planned throughout Save Mart's territory.

I guess the Instacart Pick up program in Reno isn't working. I don't see anyone using their pick up service EVER. No staged orders, nobody picking orders in the store, nothing in the coolers... The problem is this is because Save Mart in Reno isn't working despite various recent improvements and has never worked. But they better get Save Mart in Reno working because we need them here as an additional competitor.
Amazon does fulfillment for third party sellers online and this seems like a "line extension" of that. They also get data from it and data is one of their profit centers. They also probably want to sell the technology from Amazon Fresh to other retailers and this is a bridge to that. Amazon's logistics provides an alternative to other vendors and they have the capacity to do rapid delivery, so there are things that would be attractive to a traditional retailer.

Amazon has used their position as a fulfillment channel to their advantage and against sellers, so there is definitely a buyer beware aspect to this.

Still, you can't look at Amazon like a traditional retailer and there always have been ways that competitors serve each other---manufacturing or distribution of private label is probably the main one, but, for example, Giant-Landover used to store design for competitors. Kroger's Turkey Hill lines were marketed through competitors.
storewanderer

Post by storewanderer »

I guess we will see. At least Save Mart is trying, like I said, their program around Reno with Instacart and Pick Up in store is a total flop, almost nobody is using it. I'd be surprised if some stores get 15 orders in an entire week. So they needed to try something else, and that is what they are doing.

Smiths has very busy Pick Up at all locations in the area (hundreds of orders a day in some locations), Raleys has some stores with fairly busy Pick Up as well. Safeway is quite slow on Pick Up business but does get some orders at least. Wal Mart's local pick ups also do hundreds of orders a day in multiple locations.

There is a definite demand for this service if you can convince the customers to order from you.