QuickTrip Ends 24 Hour Stores To Prevent Crime

Gas stations & convenience stores (AM/PM, 7-Eleven, etc.)
Alpha8472

QuickTrip Ends 24 Hour Stores To Prevent Crime

Post by Alpha8472 »

They are ending some 24 hour stores in Wichita, Kansas to prevent crime and reduce strain on police resources.

https://www.csnews.com/quiktrip-ends-24 ... sas-stores
storewanderer

Re: QuickTrip Ends 24 Hour Stores To Prevent Crime

Post by storewanderer »

Wichita has some surprisingly tough areas, but nothing like Tulsa. I think the problem in Wichita is there is a lack of traffic in the middle of the night, whereas Tulsa has more traffic at all hours.

The other issue with closing overnight is when the sites are closed, there is a greater likelihood of vandalism to the exterior of the facility. If it is a big enough problem they may have to enclose the lots with gates like we see around Los Angeles.
veteran+
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Post by veteran+ »

What gates?
Romr123
Assistant Store Manager
Assistant Store Manager

Post by Romr123 »

Would be the wrong look in the HQ city to do anything but 24 hr stores there.
Alpha8472

Post by Alpha8472 »

I think the gates refer to parking lot fences with a gate. Criminals can still climb the fence unless there is barbed wire.
storewanderer

Post by storewanderer »

Yes those are the gates. Plenty of barbed wire in Los Angeles.
buckguy
Store Manager
Store Manager

Post by buckguy »

Little bit of missed snark here and a bit too much attention to crap social media and cable news.
veteran+
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Post by veteran+ »

Interesting......................

I am not seeing a lot of gates and barbed wire in Los Angeles.

Begs the question: What part of town would any of us be in to witness such a thing?
storewanderer

Post by storewanderer »

buckguy wrote: November 4th, 2022, 5:54 am Little bit of missed snark here and a bit too much attention to crap social media and cable news.
I can understand how this may sound extreme to you if you haven't spent much time in Los Angeles. I was a little shocked the first time I experienced it too. But once you are there and around it you realize it is not a big deal and it is set up this way for good reasons. The parking lots tend to be a bit littered, but not much loitering going on within the gates, and once you get inside the stores they all tend to be clean and orderly.

I have been to Los Angeles, many times, and been to multiple stores with this set up. This is nothing new; it has been this way for decades. Nothing to do with "crap social media" - these gated stores existed before "crap social media" was even invented. Perhaps I exaggerated about the barbed wire but are sharp tops to the gate bars really any different than barbed wire (someone would get injured trying to jump the fences into these shopping centers in Los Angeles).

For the purpose of convenience, you don't have to go all the way to Los Angeles to validate this, you can just go over to Google Maps street view and check out the following addresses. These are just a few examples.

Rodeo Galleria (former Vons or perhaps Sav-On Foods, now Korean marketplace)- 833 S. Western Los Angeles, CA
CVS (former Ralphs; Ralphs had the same set up with the gated lot) - 4030 S. Western Los Angeles, CA. Also garage doors go down over the front of the building at night (again same set up for Ralphs).
Numero Uno (former Safeway)- 4373 Vermont Ave. Los Angeles, CA

As you go through Google maps in these areas you will see numerous other businesses with the same set up of gated lots, sharp top of gate or barbed wire, etc.
buckguy
Store Manager
Store Manager

Post by buckguy »

No need to lecture. Been to LA dozens of times and spent up to a couple months there at a time. I've been all over the area, particularly but not exclusively in LA County and my work takes me into areas of LA (and other places like SF and NYC) that probably offend your delicate sensibilities.

The urban dystopia thing gets a little tired esp. among those of us who live in the middle of a city and see it all, and also have a chance to see what happens in the suburbs and rural areas. Believe what you want but don't confuse it with facts.