Target to shift to larger 150k square foot prototype

Predicting the demise of Sears & Kmart since 2017!
jamcool
Store Manager
Store Manager

Re: Target to shift to larger 150k square foot prototype

Post by jamcool »

Nobody wants to work in Reno?
storewanderer

Post by storewanderer »

jamcool wrote: November 23rd, 2022, 11:12 pm Nobody wants to work in Reno?
The employee pool that normally works in retail, restaurant, fast food, is all working in warehouses. Warehouses are doing sign on bonuses, free bus out to the warehouses (since they are mostly in not convenient locations), and very high starting wages crossing $20/hr now. Or in the case of restaurants, the employees who really want to work at restaurants know which restaurants to go work at and earn high tips.
Romr123
Assistant Store Manager
Assistant Store Manager

Post by Romr123 »

I'm hearing echos of 1980s Detroit, Michigan where the UAW wage scale buoyed all hourly earnings throughout the region...famously UFCW wages were sky-high.
jamcool
Store Manager
Store Manager

Post by jamcool »

storewanderer wrote: November 24th, 2022, 1:44 am
The employee pool that normally works in retail, restaurant, fast food, is all working in warehouses. Warehouses are doing sign on bonuses, free bus out to the warehouses (since they are mostly in not convenient locations), and very high starting wages crossing $20/hr now. Or in the case of restaurants, the employees who really want to work at restaurants know which restaurants to go work at and earn high tips.
I assume those warehouses are primarily supplying Northern California, which is similar to what is happening in Phoenix- many warehouses/distribution facilities being built on the Westside (along I-10 and Loop 303)
bryceleinan
Personnel Manager
Personnel Manager

Post by bryceleinan »

jamcool wrote: November 24th, 2022, 8:48 am
storewanderer wrote: November 24th, 2022, 1:44 am
I assume those warehouses are primarily supplying Northern California, which is similar to what is happening in Phoenix- many warehouses/distribution facilities being built on the Westside (along I-10 and Loop 303)
Exactly - these warehouses support California, Nevada, and the Northwest. I looked to see where Target's NorCal center is, and it's in Woodland, which is just to the NW of Sacramento. It's about a 2 1/2-3 hour drive from the DC to the Reno/Sparks stores, so not impossible, unless it's during a time when I-80 is closed over Donner Pass. Walmart, Chewy, PetSmart, Amazon, Tire Rack, JCPenney, among others have huge DCs in the area.