Target to shift to larger 150k square foot prototype

Predicting the demise of Sears & Kmart since 2017!
storewanderer

Target to shift to larger 150k square foot prototype

Post by storewanderer »

Basically sounds like Target Greatland or Super Target is making a comeback...

https://www.supermarketnews.com/retail- ... ore-design

They do say they will continue to open stores of all sizes but I am expecting many of the small format stores to fail and close as leases end (or before if they are losing enough money). Some of the small locations may be viable to be relocated into "pick up only" type of 5k square foot locations nearby then they can fulfill the orders from larger stores nearby.
veteran+
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Re: Target to shift to larger 150k square foot prototype

Post by veteran+ »

storewanderer wrote: November 10th, 2022, 10:40 pm Basically sounds like Target Greatland or Super Target is making a comeback...

https://www.supermarketnews.com/retail- ... ore-design

They do say they will continue to open stores of all sizes but I am expecting many of the small format stores to fail and close as leases end (or before if they are losing enough money). Some of the small locations may be viable to be relocated into "pick up only" type of 5k square foot locations nearby then they can fulfill the orders from larger stores nearby.
YAY!!!!

Finally.........................................
ClownLoach
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Post by ClownLoach »

If you visit the Target website you can look up the store and see the map. They call it Katy Elyson.

The store layout looks like they've gone back to SuperTarget (not Greatland). The checkouts get split in half and the pharmacy is against the front wall between them. Entrances on both sides. Odd to see Toys dominate the entire right wall. They stopped the wacky circular winding paths that wasted space. It really isn't as innovative of a layout as they would like to sell it - although the pictures are very nice. Also looks like most of the store remains under a t-frame drop ceiling with some open ceiling in select areas which is a good thing. The few that have opened with only warehouse ceilings look terrible and I noticed they stopped opening ceilings in the current 2022 ultra cheap remodel (which looks basically the same as a early 2000 build when it's done, only innovation is lighted department signs - no new fixtures and not even fully replaced linoleum). Can't wait to see as more pictures come through.

https://corporate.target.com/article/20 ... ore-design

The only thing that makes me pause about being excited is that the only stores under development that are in the 150K range are all in Texas. Still a few dozen small boxes on the way and the rest are still around 90K which is smaller than the previous regular Target prototypes. It seems to take Target as long as 4 years to finish a site once they announce it so we may not see many of these newly built SuperTarget boxes outside of Texas until 2026 or beyond. One future new large box location is actually in the same Katy, TX area so they'll have two of the same new prototype in the same town.

I had a feeling that Target was rethinking the large format after a decade plus of neglect and some of the "de-supering" that has been reported previously in some locations (where the service departments get boarded up and mothballed). Then in the last five years they have been finally remodeling the SuperTarget stores (although they get a regular Target sign in the process) and they were regaining a lot of their former glory. They still have a lot of work to do in improving their overall quality of perishables but they had to decide if they were coming or going before that work could begin. I always thought that SuperTarget was viable, but they did pick some real low volume locations especially in the late 2000's (Indio, CA for example which closed quickly) that were on the fringes of major markets and they took a long time to develop a customer base that could support such large stores. There are a few that I can think of where Target was the first thing to build/open and then the big recession hit so the rest of the center never was finished or sat fenced off/boarded up (North Murrieta, CA center is finally going to get finished next year with a new Home Depot/Ross/PetSmart, and I believe Goodyear, AZ was in a power center that was unoccupied and fenced off). Those locations were the problem - if they were building these stores in denser urban areas they would have been much more successful from day one.
Romr123
Assistant Store Manager
Assistant Store Manager

Post by Romr123 »

Yeah, those exurban fringe stores expanded into in the late '00s (Inland Empire, CA, for instance) had to have been a drain on the SuperTarget management...bit of a death spiral for any improvement in fresh departments when there's no traffic. Compare that with the stores, say around Kansas City, where the growth cadence (built out in the '90s/early '00s) led them to do far less "fringe-y" building and the SuperTargets still are reasonably robust.
BatteryMill
Shift Manager
Shift Manager

Post by BatteryMill »

Seems to be a nice return to form, expanding on a concept they initiated a while back. Though I still prefer the Target store hierarchy of old and design language. While times are different the Target of new still seems to have noisy design inside and out. I do wonder if any stores will be expanded into this format.
ClownLoach wrote: November 11th, 2022, 9:30 am If you visit the Target website you can look up the store and see the map. They call it Katy Elyson.

The store layout looks like they've gone back to SuperTarget (not Greatland). The checkouts get split in half and the pharmacy is against the front wall between them. Entrances on both sides. Odd to see Toys dominate the entire right wall. They stopped the wacky circular winding paths that wasted space. It really isn't as innovative of a layout as they would like to sell it - although the pictures are very nice. Also looks like most of the store remains under a t-frame drop ceiling with some open ceiling in select areas which is a good thing. The few that have opened with only warehouse ceilings look terrible and I noticed they stopped opening ceilings in the current 2022 ultra cheap remodel (which looks basically the same as a early 2000 build when it's done, only innovation is lighted department signs - no new fixtures and not even fully replaced linoleum). Can't wait to see as more pictures come through.

https://corporate.target.com/article/20 ... ore-design

The only thing that makes me pause about being excited is that the only stores under development that are in the 150K range are all in Texas. Still a few dozen small boxes on the way and the rest are still around 90K which is smaller than the previous regular Target prototypes. It seems to take Target as long as 4 years to finish a site once they announce it so we may not see many of these newly built SuperTarget boxes outside of Texas until 2026 or beyond. One future new large box location is actually in the same Katy, TX area so they'll have two of the same new prototype in the same town.

I had a feeling that Target was rethinking the large format after a decade plus of neglect and some of the "de-supering" that has been reported previously in some locations (where the service departments get boarded up and mothballed). Then in the last five years they have been finally remodeling the SuperTarget stores (although they get a regular Target sign in the process) and they were regaining a lot of their former glory. They still have a lot of work to do in improving their overall quality of perishables but they had to decide if they were coming or going before that work could begin. I always thought that SuperTarget was viable, but they did pick some real low volume locations especially in the late 2000's (Indio, CA for example which closed quickly) that were on the fringes of major markets and they took a long time to develop a customer base that could support such large stores. There are a few that I can think of where Target was the first thing to build/open and then the big recession hit so the rest of the center never was finished or sat fenced off/boarded up (North Murrieta, CA center is finally going to get finished next year with a new Home Depot/Ross/PetSmart, and I believe Goodyear, AZ was in a power center that was unoccupied and fenced off). Those locations were the problem - if they were building these stores in denser urban areas they would have been much more successful from day one.
Toys were in this sort of side pocket, behind electronics in Greatlands and older SuperTargets. A wise move in the post-Toys R Us age, and provides for decent showroom space.

The circular paths do well with taking out the space of departments that have declined in viability, yes. And I also wonder, could these stores return the full deli/bakery/expanded SuperTarget grocery experience? Looks like Target was quite missing the mark and targeting cities for expansion willy-nilly in the mid-late 2000s.
Alpha8472

Post by Alpha8472 »

I have seen one Target store expand recently by enlarging the building and putting faux windows on the front. However, it was nothing as big as the Katy store.

Perhaps Target might try to copy Walmart and expand the selection of products to match. At Target for example you cannot find much in the way of auto parts or garden supplies. It would be interesting to see a full sized supermarket inside.
storewanderer

Post by storewanderer »

What is not clear is how much space of the 150k square feet they will devote to e-commerce.

It basically seems like Target has decided to start to copy Wal Mart's in-store fulfillment warehouse model that Wal Mart has been building out over the past couple years, expanding stores in cases where they can/need to, but realized their stores are too small for it so they have to play catch up. It will be interesting to see if Target does some store expansions to help reach these goals, that may be a very good idea for them.

It also does not appear the full grocery concept with a legitimate service deli, bakery, seafood/meat, etc. area is coming back. They claim they will double down on "fresh grocery" - that is Target language for P-Fresh. They continue to refuse to invest the labor needed to be a true grocery player even with this move. They have basically admitted defeat on grocery. Still waiting for them to get those Boar's Head products they announced they'd be getting like 4 years ago too. How long does it take?

The Kroger/Albertsons merger may hurt some of the strongest regions for Target on grocery too (CA specifically) as a more competitive price scale by Kroger (if they do it...) WILL pull significant grocery sales from Target in the CA market.
veteran+
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Post by veteran+ »

I was there for that SuperTarget in Indio. I went to the grand opening (doing recon for F&E).

Beautiful store and impressive Super Market side!

Bad timing and wrong part of the Coachella Valley (IMO).

Looks like these new large Targets will not be in California. So annoying that the 4th largest economy in the world gets squat, as usual!

🤪🤷‍♂️
arizonaguy
Store Manager
Store Manager

Post by arizonaguy »

At least they are still building stores unlike Walmart.
pseudo3d

Post by pseudo3d »

veteran+ wrote: November 11th, 2022, 1:31 pm I was there for that SuperTarget in Indio. I went to the grand opening (doing recon for F&E).

Beautiful store and impressive Super Market side!

Bad timing and wrong part of the Coachella Valley (IMO).

Looks like these new large Targets will not be in California. So annoying that the 4th largest economy in the world gets squat, as usual!

🤪🤷‍♂️
California and large stores have always never been really compatible, probably because too high labor costs. Smith's had to pull the plug and it's the only Kroger region with Marketplace stores.

The CityTarget stores (they're not branded as such, but they still run it) aren't very good; there's one about half an hour away and gets the worst reviews for Target in the county. I'm guessing that Target's running with the "good news first" before they pull the plug on those stores.