Raising Cane's Raises Cane Over A Lease That Bans Chicken Fingers

Alpha8472

Raising Cane's Raises Cane Over A Lease That Bans Chicken Fingers

Post by Alpha8472 »

The Hobart, Indiana restaurant has been under construction for 8 months, and then they realized that they cannot sell chicken fingers due to a lease restriction put in place by McDonald's. The lease they signed is for 15 years. Cane's claims that the property owner never told them McDonald's has the exclusive right to sell de-boned chicken. McDonald's says that they should be the only restaurant there that should sell chicken of any kind.

https://fox59.com/indiana-news/raising- ... n-fingers/
pseudo3d

Re: Raising Cane's Raises Cane Over A Lease That Bans Chicken Fingers

Post by pseudo3d »

Alpha8472 wrote: November 11th, 2022, 5:52 pm The Hobart, Indiana restaurant has been under construction for 8 months, and then they realized that they cannot sell chicken fingers due to a lease restriction put in place by McDonald's. The lease they signed is for 15 years. Cane's claims that the property owner never told them McDonald's has the exclusive right to sell de-boned chicken. McDonald's says that they should be the only restaurant there that should sell chicken of any kind.

Very rare for a McDonald's to have some sort of weird restriction like that, as usually they're next to places that serve chicken or the same types of stuff they do. That's not the only thing weird--the news article says that "exclusive rights were given to McDonald’s in 1994 by previous property owners" but McDonald's did not even move into the same plaza until around 2009-2010; they were previously at 1492 E 82nd Avenue (if it's across from Southlake Mall, it's Merrillville, not Hobart).
storewanderer

Post by storewanderer »

pseudo3d wrote: November 11th, 2022, 6:32 pm
Alpha8472 wrote: November 11th, 2022, 5:52 pm The Hobart, Indiana restaurant has been under construction for 8 months, and then they realized that they cannot sell chicken fingers due to a lease restriction put in place by McDonald's. The lease they signed is for 15 years. Cane's claims that the property owner never told them McDonald's has the exclusive right to sell de-boned chicken. McDonald's says that they should be the only restaurant there that should sell chicken of any kind.

Very rare for a McDonald's to have some sort of weird restriction like that, as usually they're next to places that serve chicken or the same types of stuff they do. That's not the only thing weird--the news article says that "exclusive rights were given to McDonald’s in 1994 by previous property owners" but McDonald's did not even move into the same plaza until around 2009-2010; they were previously at 1492 E 82nd Avenue (if it's across from Southlake Mall, it's Merrillville, not Hobart).
I find this to be very interesting. It wasn't even the Raising Canes that caused the McDonalds lease restriction, but rather a proposed Chipotle that caused the lease restriction.

I see there is a place in the center called "Mission BBQ." The menu has a "pulled chicken" sandwich. Wouldn't that be a violation of the lease?

The comment that many MCD are right next to other chicken operators is true but many of those leases or ownerships of property date back to the 70's or 80's when chicken was barely a blip on the radar screen for McDonalds.

This strikes me as something where the long term local MCD franchisee was good friends with someone who controlled the shopping center and they got this real sweet deal in 1994. 1994 strikes me as right about when McDonalds started to play around with chicken strips and other chicken menu items. The odd thing in 1994 is the chicken menu at McDonalds was quite limited; was there even anything on it besides the McChicken and the McNuggets?
Alpha8472

Post by Alpha8472 »

McDonald's only had the McChicken and nuggets back at that time.

However, they did have low fat frozen yogurt, Mount Raspberry shakes, Sanka, and hot chocolate.
pseudo3d

Post by pseudo3d »

Before the McDonald's at the shopping center, there was another restaurant site that was closed (McDonald's tore it down and rebuilt). I'm guessing that it was THAT restaurant that had the "no chicken" lease and McDonald's bought the lease with the agreement.
BillyGr
Store Manager
Store Manager

Post by BillyGr »

Alpha8472 wrote: November 11th, 2022, 7:10 pm McDonald's only had the McChicken and nuggets back at that time.

However, they did have low fat frozen yogurt, Mount Raspberry shakes, Sanka, and hot chocolate.
Not to mention those Dino Sized fries ;) Though, I guess those could be really large or fairly small, just depends on which dino they were sized by :)
storewanderer

Post by storewanderer »

BillyGr wrote: November 13th, 2022, 10:31 am
Alpha8472 wrote: November 11th, 2022, 7:10 pm McDonald's only had the McChicken and nuggets back at that time.

Not to mention those Dino Sized fries ;) Though, I guess those could be really large or fairly small, just depends on which dino they were sized by :)
Why would they have Sanka on the menu and also have normal brewed coffee? Did they not brew decaf back then so Sanka was their decaf option?

Their ice cream soft serve tastes noticeably more creamy in Canada than it does in the US. I don't think they call it "ice cream" in the US either. Not sure what the difference is. Sort of like Chickfila and its "icedream" product.
BillyGr
Store Manager
Store Manager

Post by BillyGr »

storewanderer wrote: November 13th, 2022, 10:47 am
BillyGr wrote: November 13th, 2022, 10:31 am

Why would they have Sanka on the menu and also have normal brewed coffee? Did they not brew decaf back then so Sanka was their decaf option?

Their ice cream soft serve tastes noticeably more creamy in Canada than it does in the US. I don't think they call it "ice cream" in the US either. Not sure what the difference is.
I'd suspect that it could be that with the coffee, or just to advertise that they used Sanka for their decaf brand, as that was probably the best-known decaf back then (and why even now many places use pots with orange rims for decaf, no matter what brand they have).