Sizzler Sparks, NV Out of Business

bryceleinan
Shift Manager
Shift Manager

Sizzler Sparks, NV Out of Business

Post by bryceleinan »

The Sparks Sizzler has closed according to KTVN:

As StoreWanderer and others have noted, Sizzler has had some challenges lately. This store was closed for a few days recently due to a failed health inspection:

https://data.rgj.com/restaurant-inspect ... -0745food/

I have not been there in a couple of years, however, I am not terribly surprised this location is closing - which marks the end of Sizzler in the greater Reno/Sparks/Carson City area.
bryceleinan
Shift Manager
Shift Manager

Re: Sizzler Sparks, NV Out of Business

Post by bryceleinan »

At this point, we can almost start a thread of what has closed recently in Reno/Sparks... Boston Market, Claim Jumper, the list goes on.
storewanderer

Post by storewanderer »

Sparks Sizzler for a long time was franchised by Sizzling Platter out of Salt Lake City and at one point maybe 20 years ago now they had a development agreement to build a couple new locations in Reno, NW Reno was targeted but a location never happened (Mae Anne/McCarran area which I think would have done well).

I am not clear who the current franchisee of the Sparks Sizzler was or when Sizzling Platter got rid of the location.

I had noticed the Sparks Sizzler was not doing online ordering which I thought was very strange as basically every other unit in the chain was.

The Sparks Sizzler had gotten pretty tired inside and something about the place felt off in recent years. Still it seemed like it was pulling in a decent crowd at dinner and I'm a little surprised it closed. I suspect the ongoing price hikes on meat were just too much for them to continue. That is a lower middle class neighborhood at best with a lot of large families and you can only price so high before it is no longer affordable.

The Auburn Sizzler (different franchisee; Mar Lou Group out of Elk Grove) also closed in the past couple months.
Brian Lutz
Store Manager
Store Manager

Post by Brian Lutz »

Sizzling Platter claims to be the originator of the Sizzler franchise, but even they only operate five Sizzler locations in the Salt Lake area and 2 in Idaho anymore. That said, they also operate a handful of Red Robins in that area as well, and I went to one recently and it just might be the best run Red Robin I've been to with very friendly staff, excellent service and good food. It seems like the vast majority of their operations now are in Little Caesars locations all over the country and in Mexico. They also operate a fairly large number of Jamba and Wingstop locations (including the ones in the area I used to live) and a few Jersey Mike's and Dunkins.

At some point I need to check out the Sizzler near here, but expectations are low based on what I've read.
Super S

Post by Super S »

Brian Lutz wrote: December 11th, 2022, 7:50 am Sizzling Platter claims to be the originator of the Sizzler franchise, but even they only operate five Sizzler locations in the Salt Lake area and 2 in Idaho anymore. That said, they also operate a handful of Red Robins in that area as well, and I went to one recently and it just might be the best run Red Robin I've been to with very friendly staff, excellent service and good food. It seems like the vast majority of their operations now are in Little Caesars locations all over the country and in Mexico. They also operate a fairly large number of Jamba and Wingstop locations (including the ones in the area I used to live) and a few Jersey Mike's and Dunkins.

At some point I need to check out the Sizzler near here, but expectations are low based on what I've read.
Sizzler recently closed a location in Nampa, Idaho also:
https://boisedev.com/news/2022/11/30/af ... -in-nampa/

In some ways it seems like a quiet wind down of the chain is taking place. It seems like many locations are simply dying off with no replacement. I am expecting the Longview, WA location to close eventually as it really has fallen off from what it used to be.
storewanderer

Post by storewanderer »

Sizzler it appears has been hit very hard by the recent price increases and this is why we are seeing multiple sudden closures. The Sparks Sizzler that is closing had decent traffic at dinner and through the afternoon on weekends so I am a little surprised to see it close and nobody wanted to buy it (it was for sale cheap), but clearly this is due to an oversized building that is costly to operate/heat/cool/staff and also the food cost increases that seem to have no end in sight.

That Sizzling Platter franchisee was supposed to build more Sizzlers but never did. I'm not sure when they let go of the Sparks Sizzler but I think it was about 5 years ago. They have developed some Dunkin units and closed an entire market of Dunkin units after a few years due to poor performance. They appear to not mess around long with things that do not perform well.
Jeff
Service Clerk
Service Clerk

Post by Jeff »

I finally went to the Montebello location which reopened earlier this year. It was fully remodeled and is nice looking. They have had some changes compared to the past:

First off, self-service drinks. I think they did this to keep servers away from guests. They only really serve your food now and take the dishes.

Second, selections at the salad bar have been shrunk. They no longer have as many premade salads. They did drop a few of the salad add-ons like kidney beans. They still have the taco station and pasta station. I didnt see onion rings or potato wedges like the past. They also give you a bowl now for the one trip salad, which i feel is better than the old clear plates, as you can actually fit more into this bowl than before.

As for price, it was $24 for a 14oz rib eye. You can get sirlions for like $16. I took the ribeye. It was good. Suprisingly it was tender and well cooked. I asked for medium and it was perfect. Prices were not as high as I thought they would be. 6oz Tri Tip sirloin and Shrimp for $20 (considering I bought a corn dog meal at Wienerschnitzel and an extra chili dog for $22, this is a good price). You can get a burger and fries for $10. Quality was good. This Sizzler will be around forever as its always busy and actually has valet parking on the weekends.
storewanderer

Post by storewanderer »

Jeff wrote: December 13th, 2022, 5:07 pm I finally went to the Montebello location which reopened earlier this year. It was fully remodeled and is nice looking. They have had some changes compared to the past:

First off, self-service drinks. I think they did this to keep servers away from guests. They only really serve your food now and take the dishes.

Second, selections at the salad bar have been shrunk. They no longer have as many premade salads. They did drop a few of the salad add-ons like kidney beans. They still have the taco station and pasta station. I didnt see onion rings or potato wedges like the past. They also give you a bowl now for the one trip salad, which i feel is better than the old clear plates, as you can actually fit more into this bowl than before.

As for price, it was $24 for a 14oz rib eye. You can get sirlions for like $16. I took the ribeye. It was good. Suprisingly it was tender and well cooked. I asked for medium and it was perfect. Prices were not as high as I thought they would be. 6oz Tri Tip sirloin and Shrimp for $20 (considering I bought a corn dog meal at Wienerschnitzel and an extra chili dog for $22, this is a good price). You can get a burger and fries for $10. Quality was good. This Sizzler will be around forever as its always busy and actually has valet parking on the weekends.
Montebello Sizzler reopened as a corporate Sizzler. Corporate Sizzlers are always great. Corporate Sizzlers also have quite low pricing, relatively speaking, and are very well run. Maybe that is why the Sizzler Corporation keeps having financial problems... In Sacramento there is 1 Corporate Sizzler and 1 Franchisee Sizzler (large franchisee has locations all over CA); the prices as the Corporate unit are $3+ cheaper per item and they have a larger menu.

I am disappointed the Auburn Sizzler, which used to be corporate, then was sold to a franchisee a number of years ago, was not reopened as a Corporate Sizzler. That location was a tight ship as a Corporate Sizzler, was remodeled often, great managers who were active walking around constantly helping with tables, clearing plates, neatening salad bar, etc., and always clean and busy. The franchisee kept the old employees in place but the location was never remodeled in its 10 years with the franchisee and over the years the amount of staff seemed to keep decreasing. Corporate Sizzler reopened some failed franchise units in OR back in 2021 also, and in addition to Montebello they opened/reopened a couple locations in SoCal during 2022. It is good the Corporate Sizzler is making efforts to at least reopen some failed franchise units.