OfficeMax Closures

Alpha8472

OfficeMax Closures

Post by Alpha8472 »

A massive OfficeMax in San Francisco just closed. Office Depot is also leasing part of its corporate office to some other business.

The company closed 75 stores this year and is down to 1,900 stores nationwide.

https://www.sfgate.com/local/article/sa ... 584027.php
storewanderer

Re: OfficeMax Closures

Post by storewanderer »

It is amazing these chains have kept as many stores open as they have. I guess Staples presence in NorCal is kind of limited which has probably helped Office Depot/Office Max hang up on a bit better.

Both Staples and Office Max/Office Depot are just such incredibly weak retailers. But I sure prefer Office Max/Office Depot to Staples. Both chains have very high pricing and tired stores but I find Office Max/Office Depot to be an easier shopping experience. Staples is really awful.

It seems like the only reason the Office Max brand still exists is due to a lack of money to rebrand the stores to Office Depot. No use rebranding stores that are going to just close eventually anyway.
Super S

Post by Super S »

OfficeMax and Office Depot have been steadily and quietly closing locations for years. Their prices are not good and many of their stores are not well maintained.
Alpha8472

Post by Alpha8472 »

An Office Depot near me had cheap computer printer printed signs. I wondered why they were so low budget. Everything about the store was dirty and old. It closed a couple of years ago.

OfficeMax has a store near me that remodeled, but the remodeling did not change much. Signs were changed, and the decor did not seem to resemble any other Office Depot decor. Maybe they just made it up for that store. There is no consistency except for being dirty and tired looking.
storewanderer

Post by storewanderer »

Alpha8472 wrote: November 15th, 2022, 5:20 pm An Office Depot near me had cheap computer printer printed signs. I wondered why they were so low budget. Everything about the store was dirty and old. It closed a couple of years ago.

OfficeMax has a store near me that remodeled, but the remodeling did not change much. Signs were changed, and the decor did not seem to resemble any other Office Depot decor. Maybe they just made it up for that store. There is no consistency except for being dirty and tired looking.
Have not seen signs like that at Office Depot.

But the Staples in Reno on Plumb has all kinds of cheap computer printed signs, color printed, then laminated by their copy department. Messages include NO BACKPACKS ALLOWED, NO PUBLIC RESTROOM, among other things you'd expect at an unbranded independent gas station in a terrible neighborhood and not a retail store. I was treated so poorly in this store by the "store manager" a number of years ago, I vowed to NEVER return to Staples again.

Then I needed to order an item and they had a price online about 30% below Office Depot, no other real options for the item due to its size, and I needed it immediately, so I decided to place the order but did go to the other Reno Staples to retrieve the item (seamless process there, no issues).
ClownLoach
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Post by ClownLoach »

Alpha8472 wrote: November 15th, 2022, 5:20 pm An Office Depot near me had cheap computer printer printed signs. I wondered why they were so low budget. Everything about the store was dirty and old. It closed a couple of years ago.

The old location next to UC Irvine also has a sign package that was obviously created and printed entirely in the store's print shop. There seems to be so little direction coming from the corporate office that the stores are literally merchandising and decorating themselves however they want to. Until they close at the end of their lease.
storewanderer

Post by storewanderer »

ClownLoach wrote: November 16th, 2022, 10:27 am

The old location next to UC Irvine also has a sign package that was obviously created and printed entirely in the store's print shop. There seems to be so little direction coming from the corporate office that the stores are literally merchandising and decorating themselves however they want to. Until they close at the end of their lease.
They do have a store refresh package for Office Max lately where they put up new signs/aisle hangers in Office Max colors and/or font. They also usually put down some black carpet. These do not look as nice as some of the remodels Office Depot did about 7 years ago which .... did sort of present some stuff well with lower profile shelving for electronics, some angled aisles for various notebooks and such, etc. (last one done here was in Carson City; a very complete remodel job). In the past couple years even the nice looking fixtures at that Office Depot are pretty much unproductive due to a lack of inventory.