Ikea Restaurant shortages

Brian Lutz
Store Manager
Store Manager

Ikea Restaurant shortages

Post by Brian Lutz »

For the most part it seems like the restaurants I've been to recently haven't been subject to shortages nearly as much as they were a few months ago, but one notable exception seems to be the restaurants in Ikea stores. In the two Ikea stores I've been to recently (Renton WA and Draper UT) it seems like every time I'm there they are constantly out of things. The Renton store seemed to frequently have one or more entrees (on what is now a fairly small menu these days) out of stock and sometimes only one or two desserts, and half the drinks in the fountain are out as well. This has been going on for some time now, and when I visited the Draper store recently it seemed particularly bad. The soda fountain had nothing but water and cola, the cod entree was out of stock, and even the meatball entrees had no gravy available.

To be fair the Ikea cafeterias are pretty high volume operations (especially on busy shopping days) but it seems like the cafeterias are subject to the same supply issues that have impacted the rest of the store, which leads me to wonder if they are overcomplicating their supply chains more than they need to. I know Ikea cafeterias used to have Coca Cola products, but at some point they decided to eliminate a lot of non-Ikea products from the stores, and as part of that switched the soda fountains to Ikea branded products, which they now seem to be having trouble getting.
Alpha8472

Re: Ikea Restaurant shortages

Post by Alpha8472 »

I was at an AMPM store and the soda fountain has been out of practically everything for a long time. There was Brisk tea, Dr. Pepper, and horchata. There were angry paper signs saying that if you pour out a cup of a flavor that you don't like you would be charged for an extra large size.

Perhaps, it is more due to not bothering to order enough.
jamcool
Store Manager
Store Manager

Post by jamcool »

I know there is currently a lettuce shortage, but some of us are indifferent to that “crisis”.
BillyGr
Store Manager
Store Manager

Post by BillyGr »

jamcool wrote: November 16th, 2022, 6:15 pm I know there is currently a lettuce shortage, but some of us are indifferent to that “crisis”.
So, you're saying lettuce not worry about that one? ;)
Alpha8472

Post by Alpha8472 »

A lettuce virus is killing lettuce in California due to the heat wave driving virus carrying insects towards the lettuce farms in Salinas.

Lettuce is so low in nutrition. I always wonder why people eat it. It is so tasteless.

My local Wendy's is out of lettuce. The cost is so high now that the cost of lettuce is eating into their profits. McDonald's has lettuce, but Wendy's is not ordering any supplies of it.
veteran+
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Post by veteran+ »

Alpha8472 wrote: November 17th, 2022, 4:51 pm A lettuce virus is killing lettuce in California due to the heat wave driving virus carrying insects towards the lettuce farms in Salinas.

Lettuce is so low in nutrition. I always wonder why people eat it. It is so tasteless.

My local Wendy's is out of lettuce. The cost is so high now that the cost of lettuce is eating into their profits. McDonald's has lettuce, but Wendy's is not ordering any supplies of it.
So true about lettuce.

I only eat "power" greens!

8-)