Checkers & Rally To Open New Restaurants

Alpha8472

Checkers & Rally To Open New Restaurants

Post by Alpha8472 »

California, Tennessee, and Maryland will get a total of 40 new restaurants.

How is this chain? I have never seen one in California.

https://chainstoreage.com/checkers-rall ... ree-states
Bagels
Assistant Store Manager
Assistant Store Manager

Re: Checkers & Rally To Open New Restaurants

Post by Bagels »

CA locations are in Southern California (typically in neighborhoods with average incomes below the regional mean). Rally's / Checkers are known for inexpensive food -- restaurants built as Rally's / Checkers are modular construction, have duel drive-throughs (many block off one, though) and have no dining room. Food is typical fast food. Prices have escalated in recent years, and TBH, aren't much less than most competitors. HOWEVER... promotions and their app are phenomenal. The more you order, the more deals you get. I got a 50% total order that renewed multiple times, $5 toward any purchase, etc. I had to stop going there, or I was going to blow up....
storewanderer

Post by storewanderer »

I tried multiple items from Checkers/Rally once over the years. Everything is edible, but I never went back for anything twice except the fries. In the end, the only menu item I liked was the fries.

I then learned the fries are sold frozen. They cook up great in the air fryer, every bit as good as if you buy them in the restaurant. The fries remind me of Popeyes fries.

I think Fresno is their northern-most location, or Los Banos.

They used to exist in Phoenix but the one I used to stop at there in an off feeling area near the airport is long gone.
cjd
Assistant Store Manager
Assistant Store Manager

Post by cjd »

I do like Checkers but they have tried and failed here twice now. There was already a closed location when I moved here 25 years ago. They opened a new location around 2013, ironically just a few doors from the first, which closed in 2021.

They actually seem to have survived in the smaller town to the north of me.
storewanderer

Post by storewanderer »

The french fries they carry are sold frozen at least out west, by whatever brand also sells frozen Red Robin fries, Arbys fries, Red Robin Onion Rings, and Nathans Onion Rings. Highlight of their menu in my opinion.
cjd
Assistant Store Manager
Assistant Store Manager

Post by cjd »

Yes, I have seen the frozen fries at Walmart along with the others. Dollar General has them as well.

Checkers to me always seems to be targeted to a cheaper market, well if you can even call it that in fast food.
jamcool
Store Manager
Store Manager

Post by jamcool »

Basically they are the burger equivalent of Church’s chicken…somewhat cheaper than the basic QSRs and aimed toward those at a lower income level.
storewanderer

Post by storewanderer »

jamcool wrote: January 2nd, 2023, 1:17 pm Basically they are the burger equivalent of Church’s chicken…somewhat cheaper than the basic QSRs and aimed toward those at a lower income level.
They have one down in Citrus Heights, CA (Sacramento suburb) and this place is not cheaper than a basic QSR anymore.

Well it is cheaper than the Sacramento Wendys franchisee who wants 7.59 for a single (alone) or 3.99 for a Jr. Cheeseburger Deluxe (alone)...
pseudo3d

Post by pseudo3d »

Checkers exited Houston at some point in the 1990s and an attempt to bring them back in the mid-2010s failed miserably, probably because Sonic has such a big hold in the market...that being said, there's about a dozen Checkers restaurants in the Houston area, but all part of new and renovated gas stations.