Panera Introducing Milkshakes

Alpha8472

Panera Introducing Milkshakes

Post by Alpha8472 »

Panera is adding milkshakes for the first time.

They added chicken sandwiches, then they tried Flatbread pizzas, and now they are trying $5.79 milkshakes in select cities in Texas.

https://www.nrn.com/fast-casual/panera- ... first-time
bryceleinan
Personnel Manager
Personnel Manager

Re: Panera Introducing Milkshakes

Post by bryceleinan »

Why?

Panera is having a hard enough time with the basics (especially the new location in Carson City, NV) and others in CA with supply chain issues… don’t see how well this will work for already-stressed restaurants.
storewanderer

Post by storewanderer »

Why? Because they're struggling to stay relevant and will try anything that sticks.

I expect this chain to be drastically smaller in 10 years than it is now.

Milkshakes are not on brand for Panera. This is a poor fit. Similar to the Krispy Kreme ice cream idea. Blended iced coffee based drinks would fit their brand better and are quite similar.

Reviews for Carson this week are even worse than last week. Where are the corporate trainers?
bryceleinan
Personnel Manager
Personnel Manager

Post by bryceleinan »

I have not seen any reviews about the milkshakes, however, Panera has had plenty of trouble with their current stores - especially the stores in Northern Nevada. I get they want to do something, however, I think they really need to improve store operations before attempting new items like this.
Alpha8472

Post by Alpha8472 »

I tried the Unlimited Drink club, and it caused me to visit them many times. I did not buy any other food as it was so overpriced. Many items are heat and serve items such as Mac and Cheese. The sandwiches are so expensive that you could get full meals at fast food restaurants for the price. These milkshakes are extremely rich with way too much added including brownies, cookies heavy cream, and caramel syrup.

I found their restaurants dirty, sticky, and out of stock on basic items such as bagels and muffins.
storewanderer

Post by storewanderer »

I never found Paneras to be dirty or sticky when I frequently visited them from about 2009-2016 out of town. I found them to be overpriced, clean, and with a comfortable atmosphere inside that I could easily spend some time in if I wanted down time. The iced tea was not always as strong as it should have been and I found their bagels to be rocks. The cookies and other pastries were good but the prices kept going up and eventually I quit going entirely due to pricing and in a bind like in a downtown area would select Starbucks instead of Panera, otherwise downgraded to McDonalds for cheaper iced tea as McDonalds tea improved around 2016 when they changed their brewing procedure and eliminated the "diet" brewed tea flavors.

I also found Panera's reward program to be quite generous. I would get entire months of "free bagel every day with any purchase" or "free coffee every day with any purchase" offers and would take advantage of those offers while traveling.

These milkshakes sound like the Five Guys Milkshakes with "unlimited" ingredients. The concept is good but well they are just a bit much.
Alpha8472

Post by Alpha8472 »

During the Unlimited Sip Club free trial, the drink area was trashed. The drinks such as the charged lemonade and teas were great, but the entire area was sticky.
storewanderer

Post by storewanderer »

Alpha8472 wrote: November 22nd, 2022, 11:47 pm During the Unlimited Sip Club free trial, the drink area was trashed. The drinks such as the charged lemonade and teas were great, but the entire area was sticky.
This is unacceptable. For the prices Panera charges for its products, everything needs to be in tip top condition in their locations.

I notice this new Panera building in Carson City feels cheap, like a fast food place, and uncomfortable. The atmosphere is more like a Taco Bell or some lower end fast food place. The atmosphere does not match the prices or the "clean" menu items they offer. I do not see the atmosphere appealing to the target Panera customer either.
Romr123
Assistant Store Manager
Assistant Store Manager

Post by Romr123 »

yeah, I think Panera (as many chains do) declines in quality the further the radius from HQ. St. Louis Bread Company (their branding in -duh- St. Louis) doesn't put up with any of that crap--clientele has had 30 years of good service/quality/atmosphere and so there hasn't been much deterioration. Elsewhere, you're kind of at the mercy of the franchisee.
veteran+
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Post by veteran+ »

I have always had a positive experience at Panera (one of only 4 "fast food" establishments I frequented). The other 3 were Chipolte, Subway and Panda. I have discontinued all of them.

I would give Panera another chance but the nearest one to me is in "The Valley" which is too far and I dislike going over "The Hill" for anything. Too far, too much traffic and do not like the weather over there.