Rail Strike Threatens Businesses & Consumers

This is the place for general and miscellaneous posts on topics which might extend past the boundaries of any specific region. No non-grocery posts.
Alpha8472

Rail Strike Threatens Businesses & Consumers

Post by Alpha8472 »

The rail strike threatens businesses, consumers, and the economy. It is like they are holding everyone hostage to get more money.

https://chainstoreage.com/nrf-rail-stri ... rs-economy
storewanderer

Re: Rail Strike Threatens Businesses & Consumers

Post by storewanderer »

Employees tend to get frustrated after not working with a ratified contract for an extended time period. There are issues like raises, when, the union starts to "ask for more" to "make up for the delay."

We will see what happens, there was major political pressure to keep the rail workers working until the elections took place. Now the elections are over and for anything to happen with the rail workers Congress will have to get involved. We will see what happens.

Fortunately most retailers have their holiday merchandise...

Unfortunately a freeze of rail is going to screw oil up hard. The pipeline system can't do what rail does for oil.
veteran+
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Post by veteran+ »

Alpha8472 wrote: November 21st, 2022, 4:00 pm The rail strike threatens businesses, consumers, and the economy. It is like they are holding everyone hostage to get more money.

Actually they are holding out for better working conditions and work/life balance issues. They are happy with the pay increases and other monetary considerations.
storewanderer

Post by storewanderer »

veteran+ wrote: November 22nd, 2022, 10:28 am
Alpha8472 wrote: November 21st, 2022, 4:00 pm The rail strike threatens businesses, consumers, and the economy. It is like they are holding everyone hostage to get more money.

Actually they are holding out for better working conditions and work/life balance issues. They are happy with the pay increases and other monetary considerations.
Given the staffing shortages I am not sure how these issues are going to be rectified. Longer lead times for loads ultimately... which slows the economy. But not as big of a slowdown as a strike will cause...

We are at a real problem in the US. In too many cases, you have too many people working 60, 70, 80 hour weeks. Many of them are salaried but then there is a segment of hourly employees who are being expected to work these heavy schedules and being compensated for it by way of overtime pay. People DO NOT WANT to work 60, 70, and 80 hour weeks. People DO NOT PERFORM at maximum performance when you overwork them like that, I don't care if it is a physical work field or a brain work field.
TW-Upstate NY
Shift Manager
Shift Manager

Post by TW-Upstate NY »

storewanderer wrote: November 22nd, 2022, 11:09 pm We are at a real problem in the US. In too many cases, you have too many people working 60, 70, 80 hour weeks. Many of them are salaried but then there is a segment of hourly employees who are being expected to work these heavy schedules and being compensated for it by way of overtime pay. People DO NOT WANT to work 60, 70, and 80 hour weeks. People DO NOT PERFORM at maximum performance when you overwork them like that, I don't care if it is a physical work field or a brain work field.
SOOOO glad I retired from the Post Office when I did. I hear horror stories from some of my former co-workers of having to put in those kind of hours on a constant basis. My pension is less than half of what my base pay would be now if I had kept working but you know something-I COULD CARE LESS! In my day I did cash a lot of nice paychecks but nowhere near this craziness and I always said all this extra money is nice but I only hope I live to spend it. Been out over four years now and not one regret.
veteran+
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Post by veteran+ »

storewanderer wrote: November 22nd, 2022, 11:09 pm
veteran+ wrote: November 22nd, 2022, 10:28 am

Given the staffing shortages I am not sure how these issues are going to be rectified. Longer lead times for loads ultimately... which slows the economy. But not as big of a slowdown as a strike will cause...

We are at a real problem in the US. In too many cases, you have too many people working 60, 70, 80 hour weeks. Many of them are salaried but then there is a segment of hourly employees who are being expected to work these heavy schedules and being compensated for it by way of overtime pay. People DO NOT WANT to work 60, 70, and 80 hour weeks. People DO NOT PERFORM at maximum performance when you overwork them like that, I don't care if it is a physical work field or a brain work field.
South Korea has the same problem!