Quiznos Expanding With 30 New Restaurants

Alpha8472

Quiznos Expanding With 30 New Restaurants

Post by Alpha8472 »

Quiznos is expanding with 30 new restaurants in Arizona. I don't know if Arizona has that much demand for sandwich shops.

The Quiznos in the San Francisco Bay Area have virtually all closed down in the past 10 years. I do not know how, but Subway still seems to have some locations still in business in this area.

https://chainstoreage.com/quiznos-30-st ... -agreement
arizonaguy
Store Manager
Store Manager

Re: Quiznos Expanding With 30 New Restaurants

Post by arizonaguy »

Alpha8472 wrote: November 23rd, 2022, 5:04 pm Quiznos is expanding with 30 new restaurants in Arizona. I don't know if Arizona has that much demand for sandwich shops.

The Quiznos in the San Francisco Bay Area have virtually all closed down in the past 10 years. I do not know how, but Subway still seems to have some locations still in business in this area.

https://chainstoreage.com/quiznos-30-st ... -agreement
Quizno's used to be much larger in Arizona but closed many of their locations over the past 15 years or so.

The sandwich shop thing seems to be the latest fad in Arizona.

Eegee's, a Tucson based sandwich shop (that also is famous for its fruit slushee drinks) is also expanding pretty rapidly in Phoenix.

I believe the Phoenix area already has almost every major chain sandwich shop (with Jersey Mike's and Firehouse Subs doing fairly recent expansions). Subway is virtually everywhere in the Phoenix area and there's a decently large presence of Jersey Mike's, Jimmy John's, Firehouse Subs, Port of Subs, and Capriotti's), Phoenix also has a handful of Schlotzsky's, Blimpie, Goodcents and Which Wich locations as well as a lone ToGos in addition to a handful of Quizno's.
norcalriteaidclerk
Assistant Store Manager
Assistant Store Manager

Post by norcalriteaidclerk »

Locally they are down to two local locations (one basically one the Citrus Heights/foothill farms border in a low profile strip mall across a long established Century Theaters multiplex that has been rebuilt within the past fifteen years,the other in West Roseville down the street from the even longer established denio's flea market).There was once a location in Citrus Heights in front of Targé, Jersey Mike's may now ironically occupy that space(if not that an adjacent space within the same outlot building).

Sent from my SM-G781U using Tapatalk

For your life,Thrifty and Payless have got it.
storewanderer

Post by storewanderer »

Always liked Quizno's but their food cost was too high (to the franchisee) and franchisee/franchisor relations were very strained leading to so many location closures. I think Quizno's was a sound concept with sound quality of food but the franchisee/franchisor issues got in the way of what was a great product.

If they can straighten out the issues, get food cost down for the franchisees, and get franchisees who are stronger at operating units, they may well be able to revive their chain and expand again. But I am not counting on that happening. There are too many other/new sandwich concepts out there.

Quizno's also needs to upgrade its meat quality/cut style in the modern era if they want to have a serious chance at expansion.
pseudo3d

Post by pseudo3d »

Subway has continually cut down on quality while raising prices and not fixing the massive organizational problems individual stores have. A lot of them have unpredictable hours as well. Yet, they never seem to really go away, either...

I'm not sure Quiznos has a chance. What do they really have that the newer competitors (Jersey Mike's, Firehouse, Jimmy John's...all of these have done substantial expansion in the last 15 years while Quiznos just shriveled away) don't? There are plenty of more distinct restaurants that are now on the edge of extinction that have more uniqueness in their offerings and theme than Quiznos does.
storewanderer

Post by storewanderer »

pseudo3d wrote: November 23rd, 2022, 11:12 pm Subway has continually cut down on quality while raising prices and not fixing the massive organizational problems individual stores have. A lot of them have unpredictable hours as well. Yet, they never seem to really go away, either...

I'm not sure Quiznos has a chance. What do they really have that the newer competitors (Jersey Mike's, Firehouse, Jimmy John's...all of these have done substantial expansion in the last 15 years while Quiznos just shriveled away) don't? There are plenty of more distinct restaurants that are now on the edge of extinction that have more uniqueness in their offerings and theme than Quiznos does.
This is the problem. I can basically get a sandwich at Firehouse that tastes quite similar to Quizno's but it seems to be larger/more filling. Firehouse puts the wrapped sandwich into a box instead of paper wrap like Quizno's did and it stays hot longer and is easier to eat. Also Potbelly puts out a product that is quite good as well and reminds me of Quizno's.

Unfortunately due to brand mismanagement by franchisor Quizno's, other brands that were run better at the franchisor level managed to expand and build a reputation basically doing what Quizno's did - serving hot subs with different sauces than mayo or oil/vinegar on them. Of course these other chains did something different here and there/tweaked it a bit; Firehouse steams the meat for instance, Quizno's just ran cold meat through the oven to lightly warm it and "toast" the bread.
Romr123
Assistant Store Manager
Assistant Store Manager

Post by Romr123 »

We went to one earlier in the year in Amherst, OH...in a pretty lonely strip center. They had been there 30 years (we chatted up the son of the owner) and this was their last store. I did see that they're still open according to the store finder. There are a few in the western Detroit suburbs--rather obscure strip-center locations.
veteran+
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Post by veteran+ »

The Quiznos I have been to in Cali were not good and the reviews kind of support that. Many of them closed.

Though the sandwiches tasted really good, they were always made very sloppy with too much oil, vinegar or liquid dressings.

Also sanitation and cleanliness was a problem including insects flying around.
babs
Assistant Store Manager
Assistant Store Manager

Post by babs »

As soon as Subway started toasting sandwiches, Quiznos uniqueness disappeared. There's zero reason to believe people are waiting for Quiznos to come back.
storewanderer

Post by storewanderer »

babs wrote: November 24th, 2022, 6:54 pm As soon as Subway started toasting sandwiches, Quiznos uniqueness disappeared. There's zero reason to believe people are waiting for Quiznos to come back.
Quiznos toasted sub was quite different from Subway. Quiznos toasted in a conveyor belt oven and did what I call a "slow dry toast" which really resulted in a bit of a dry crunch to the bread being on the way (but nowhere near) to crouton level. Subway toasts in a small convection oven and does what I call a "quick soggy toast" resulting in a rubbery bread (being on the way to mush).