Wawa to enter Kentucky, Indiana and Ohio

Gas stations & convenience stores (AM/PM, 7-Eleven, etc.)
mburb1981
Produce Clerk
Produce Clerk

Wawa to enter Kentucky, Indiana and Ohio

Post by mburb1981 »

Seems like this is the time of year for major convenience store chain expansions...and with Michigan in particular being a hotspot for these expansions, I wouldn't be surprised if this is a stepping stone for Wawa's inevitable expansion into Michigan.

https://www.wdrb.com/news/business/wawa ... 7e66e.html
jamcool
Store Manager
Store Manager

Re: Wawa to enter Kentucky, Indiana and Ohio

Post by jamcool »

It makes you wonder if WaWa will expand into the West (primarily Texas) QuikTrip jumped over several states to enter Arizona in the 2000s
mbz321
Assistant Store Manager
Assistant Store Manager

Post by mbz321 »

IMO, whenever Wawa expands, quality seems to take a nosedive. It is getting close to the point where Subway makes a better sandwich, and I would have been laughed at for even suggesting that 10 years ago.
storewanderer

Post by storewanderer »

Wawa is a not great operator of convenience stores compared to Quik Trip. Their quality of operation, fuel island experience, product mix, and service is not at a level of Quik Trip. Wawa looks pretty good next to, say, a 7-Eleven. That is about where it stops. Once you get inside and deal with Wawa's slow service, a dirty store, and inconsistent product quality, you will think you just went to a 7-Eleven. Wawa's dispensed beverages are also not great; the iced tea is not fresh brewed and tastes awful. The coffee is not consistent. Wawa locations tend to be congested with high customer volumes yet have slow checkout, cumbersome gas pump payment process, and poor traffic flow inside the stores. Wawa just doesn't run an efficient operation, and I have encountered more dirty stores than I should encounter based on the age of the stores and the staffing I see they have.

I also think Sheetz does a much better job operationally than Wawa, and runs a far more efficient operation.