Breakfast Traffic Plunges In November

storewanderer

Re: Breakfast Traffic Plunges In November

Post by storewanderer »

cjd wrote: December 25th, 2022, 5:43 pm You also have new places like Wawa coming in that for whatever reason, despite not having a drive thru are very popular for breakfast sandwiches. Not sure if it’s just because they’re completely new, and that’s what people gravitate to is all new, or what.
My guess is people are going to places like Wawa for breakfast sandwiches instead of these drive through places because people are tired of drive throughs. Also Wawa has a better selection of drinks and other products/services. Wawa is also probably cheaper at this point.

These fast food businesses with their "drive through only" policies are tone deaf and will kill their business. There are many alternatives.
cjd
Assistant Store Manager
Assistant Store Manager

Post by cjd »

I think in some cases breakfast stops too early anyway. I guess 6-9 is around the time for breakfast traditionally. Years ago older retirees liked to go out most mornings for breakfast and as you mention read the newspaper.

McDonald’s and Hardee’s were popular places and even spots like the Kmart Cafes.
storewanderer

Post by storewanderer »

cjd wrote: December 26th, 2022, 6:45 am I think in some cases breakfast stops too early anyway. I guess 6-9 is around the time for breakfast traditionally. Years ago older retirees liked to go out most mornings for breakfast and as you mention read the newspaper.

McDonald’s and Hardee’s were popular places and even spots like the Kmart Cafes.
The irony over at Wendys is they do something like 75% of their breakfast sales between 10 and 10:30. Wouldn't you think someone would look at this and say gee, maybe we need to offer breakfast later...

I was loitering at a McDonalds recently during a car repair from about 11-1 one day and this location despite posted breakfast ending at 10:30, still sells breakfast sandwiches through lunch due to customer demand. No hash browns or hotcakes. A lot of customers seemed to be aware of this as many were walking in ordering breakfast items like nothing was unusual. You had to order at the cashier, not the kiosk. Some customers not familiar noticed other customers ordering breakfast and then ordered breakfast themselves as well. I wonder how common this is. I doubt it happened before all day breakfast was rolled out.
cjd
Assistant Store Manager
Assistant Store Manager

Post by cjd »

I’ve thought the same. Personally, I like to get the breakfast platter with pancakes at McDonald’s on the weekends once in a while. But I rarely leave early on the weekend so timing it can be difficult before 10:30, which as far as I know is when they stop serving.

I believe the ones around here still sell breakfast sandwiches and hash browns all day, but I haven’t paid attention much.

There was that period of time when all day breakfast was available that you could also get a platter with pancakes and sausage all day, but the full Big Breakfast was never part of it that I saw.

Last time I ordered the Big Breakfast I was given the choice of bacon or sausage which I never recall being available with it before. It’s always been sausage that I remember.

As far as ending breakfast at 10:30, I think it’s likely down to having to switch over. It probably takes awhile to wash whatever needs to be washed and prep the line for burger toppings and items and other lunch stuff and put breakfast stuff back into the cooler.

Most people aren’t going to want lunch until 11:30 at earliest so this gives them a good 30 minutes to an hour of slow time before orders start coming in.
BillyGr
Store Manager
Store Manager

Post by BillyGr »

cjd wrote: December 27th, 2022, 9:40 am I’ve thought the same. Personally, I like to get the breakfast platter with pancakes at McDonald’s on the weekends once in a while. But I rarely leave early on the weekend so timing it can be difficult before 10:30, which as far as I know is when they stop serving.

I believe the ones around here still sell breakfast sandwiches and hash browns all day, but I haven’t paid attention much.

There was that period of time when all day breakfast was available that you could also get a platter with pancakes and sausage all day, but the full Big Breakfast was never part of it that I saw.

Last time I ordered the Big Breakfast I was given the choice of bacon or sausage which I never recall being available with it before. It’s always been sausage that I remember.

As far as ending breakfast at 10:30, I think it’s likely down to having to switch over. It probably takes awhile to wash whatever needs to be washed and prep the line for burger toppings and items and other lunch stuff and put breakfast stuff back into the cooler.

Most people aren’t going to want lunch until 11:30 at earliest so this gives them a good 30 minutes to an hour of slow time before orders start coming in.
Except that if they switch at 10:30, you can order anything on the lunch menu at 10:31, so they have to have whatever is needed ready to go, or at least close by to make those items.

Also thinking that some offered breakfast later for weekends, maybe at least 11?
storewanderer

Post by storewanderer »

Carls Jr. and Chickfila will serve full menu during breakfast hours. Non-breakfast items are on a cook to order basis. Wendys in my area will too, but the app restricts ordering non-breakfast items for pick up until after 10:31 (you can pre-order the burgers anytime but the app won't let you pick up until 10:31 or something).
Super S

Post by Super S »

storewanderer wrote: December 26th, 2022, 11:05 pm
cjd wrote: December 26th, 2022, 6:45 am I think in some cases breakfast stops too early anyway. I guess 6-9 is around the time for breakfast traditionally. Years ago older retirees liked to go out most mornings for breakfast and as you mention read the newspaper.

The irony over at Wendys is they do something like 75% of their breakfast sales between 10 and 10:30. Wouldn't you think someone would look at this and say gee, maybe we need to offer breakfast later...

I was loitering at a McDonalds recently during a car repair from about 11-1 one day and this location despite posted breakfast ending at 10:30, still sells breakfast sandwiches through lunch due to customer demand. No hash browns or hotcakes. A lot of customers seemed to be aware of this as many were walking in ordering breakfast items like nothing was unusual. You had to order at the cashier, not the kiosk. Some customers not familiar noticed other customers ordering breakfast and then ordered breakfast themselves as well. I wonder how common this is. I doubt it happened before all day breakfast was rolled out.
Wendy's around here doesn't even open the dining room until 9 AM, and breakfast is served generally until 10:30 AM. I gotta wonder if Wendy's would do more business if they opened the dining rooms earlier...their breakfast is something they finally got right this time.

McDonald's varies when breakfast stops. Some stop at 10:30 every day, some stop at 11AM every day, some are 10:30 weekdays and 11AM weekends.

Jack In The Box still advertises all day breakfast, but items such as the Breakfast Jack aren't worth $4.00 when better options exist.
cjd
Assistant Store Manager
Assistant Store Manager

Post by cjd »

I went to Burger King for breakfast this morning. I wasn’t sure they were even serving, it was 10 AM and only one or two cars there. I actually did something else and on my way back there were cars on the drive thru so I went in.

Very few people were inside, maybe two others ordered the whole time I was there.

They did start serving lunch at 10:30, I think that’s pretty standard industry practice.

I had the Ultimate Platter which is comparable to McDonald’s Big Breakfast, however it does not include a biscuit.

I have heard too on some McDonald’s serving until 11 am on weekends which does make more sense.
cjd
Assistant Store Manager
Assistant Store Manager

Post by cjd »

McDonald’s seems to lead in breakfast. I went out for breakfast twice this week, around the 10 AM mark mind you. Last time I went to Burger King, today I thought of going to McDonald's but by the amount of cars in the lot still I decided to go back to BK.

There were only three other customers that came in while I was there. It’s pretty clear BK doesn’t do the traffic McDonalds does for breakfast, but that makes it much more convenient.

Burger King offers the breakfast platter with ham, sausage or bacon, pancakes, eggs and the hash brown discs.

The only significant difference is McDonald’s big breakfast includes a biscuit which BK does not (but is that really necessary with everything else?) and the hash browns are discs rather than a patty.

I did not see how much traffic Wendy’s had, but I’d bet it was similar to BK, certainly less than Wendy’s. There is not a Taco Bell in that town.
storewanderer

Post by storewanderer »

How does Burger King cook these breakfast items? Do they have a flat grill to make sausage?

The only breakfast items I've tried from Burger King are the hotcakes and those hash rounds (round tater tots). I wish they'd cook the hash rounds about 45 seconds longer.