Raleys develops new "store support center" for Bashas

Arizona, Hawaii, Nevada, New Mexico, Oklahoma, and Texas. No non-grocery posts.
storewanderer

Raleys develops new "store support center" for Bashas

Post by storewanderer »

https://www.chandleraz.gov/news-center/ ... r-chandler

So it appears the existing Bashas Headquarters will... what? What will happen to it? The existing headquarters has a public art gallery/museum inside. The stuff in the gallery was on the company's books though it was a collection accumulated over the years by Eddie Basha.

"Store Support Center" is what Larry Johnston renamed all of Albertsons offices "store support centers" after seeing that phrase used at Shaws when they bought Shaws. I'd avoid that phrase based on that association.
jamcool
Store Manager
Store Manager

Re: Raleys develops new "store support center" for Bashas

Post by jamcool »

Albertsons used to have a support facility in N Phoenix on Thunderbird Rd-it was originally a Gemco.
jamcool
Store Manager
Store Manager

Post by jamcool »

I think the Basha family owns the artwork, it would be donated to one of the local Western/Native American museums if they desired to.
I have never understood why Raley bought Bashas’- they have non-adjoining marketing areas, and Raley’s has it’s own retail issues. Bashas’ would have been better off merging with Stater Bros or even Lowe’s/Texas…or being acquired by AFS out of Utah (who has small town store knowledge)
storewanderer

Post by storewanderer »

jamcool wrote: December 18th, 2022, 8:52 am I think the Basha family owns the artwork, it would be donated to one of the local Western/Native American museums if they desired to.
I have never understood why Raley bought Bashas’- they have non-adjoining marketing areas, and Raley’s has it’s own retail issues. Bashas’ would have been better off merging with Stater Bros or even Lowe’s/Texas…or being acquired by AFS out of Utah (who has small town store knowledge)
The creditors wanted that artwork sold off during the bankruptcy. I am not sure what ultimately happened. Maybe it is no longer on the company's books, but it was on the company's books at the time of bankruptcy. The artwork is still there so obviously it wasn't sold off. I wonder if Raleys bought the artwork with the company or if the artwork was shifted out of the company.

Lowe's/Texas probably would have been a better fit for Bashas than Raleys. Bashas assets are a little better than what Lowe's/Texas has but sort of along the same lines. Bashas assets are a real downgrade for Raleys compared to what Raleys has of its own (though the Scolaris purchase in NV was closer to the Bashas-level of asset quality though Scolaris were better maintained stores). I don't know what Raleys is doing. I guess it will work for them until it doesn't. Last week received a postcard from Raleys (good at any Raleys in store or online- not just Raleys ONE) for $10 off $50 and $5 off $35. Grocers that are doing well do not send these types of coupons out, especially during the holidays. Safeway isn't sending out these types of coupons, not even Save Mart is.
BillyGr
Store Manager
Store Manager

Post by BillyGr »

storewanderer wrote: December 18th, 2022, 2:39 pm Last week received a postcard from Raleys (good at any Raleys in store or online- not just Raleys ONE) for $10 off $50 and $5 off $35. Grocers that are doing well do not send these types of coupons out, especially during the holidays. Safeway isn't sending out these types of coupons, not even Save Mart is.
We've had similar coupons for several weeks up through the week following Christmas from a local chain (Hannaford), on the cover of a couple different papers. $5 off a $20 purchase for each week.

As far as I know, they do just fine (particularly here as they are the only local supermarket, other options are 7-15 miles away, and they have many similar stores in other areas as well).

They have also been advertising items for the holidays (did for Thanksgiving and again this week for Christmas) - everything on the cover page is at or below the price it was last year, which included turkeys for $0.47 per pound last time and shank portion ham for $0.79/lb. this week, plus items to go along (including the Thanksgiving week of sweet potatoes and squash at the same $0.47/lb., this time regular potatoes 5lb. bag for $2 and so forth.

So, at least in their case, it seems like it is more a thank you to those who shop there all the time, to allow them to have a special meal for the holidays, even if the store makes little or no profit off those items.
Obviously, others can use them as well and then maybe they will continue to be customers in the future.
storewanderer

Post by storewanderer »

BillyGr wrote: December 19th, 2022, 1:31 pm

We've had similar coupons for several weeks up through the week following Christmas from a local chain (Hannaford), on the cover of a couple different papers. $5 off a $20 purchase for each week.

As far as I know, they do just fine (particularly here as they are the only local supermarket, other options are 7-15 miles away, and they have many similar stores in other areas as well).

They have also been advertising items for the holidays (did for Thanksgiving and again this week for Christmas) - everything on the cover page is at or below the price it was last year, which included turkeys for $0.47 per pound last time and shank portion ham for $0.79/lb. this week, plus items to go along (including the Thanksgiving week of sweet potatoes and squash at the same $0.47/lb., this time regular potatoes 5lb. bag for $2 and so forth.

So, at least in their case, it seems like it is more a thank you to those who shop there all the time, to allow them to have a special meal for the holidays, even if the store makes little or no profit off those items.
Obviously, others can use them as well and then maybe they will continue to be customers in the future.
Not seeing these basket coupons out west unless chains are struggling. These coupons are often used to counter competitive openings or for markets/divisions that are not performing well. Or for formats that are not performing well (Amazon Fresh, Fresh & Easy, Raleys ONE for example).

CVS issues a lot of these coupons every week, I get $8 off $40 like clockwork every week for months now. Walgreens and Rite Aid also issue coupons like this. But this is different than grocery stores.
rwsandiego
Store Manager
Store Manager

Post by rwsandiego »

storewanderer wrote: December 20th, 2022, 12:45 am
BillyGr wrote: December 19th, 2022, 1:31 pm

Not seeing these basket coupons out west unless chains are struggling. These coupons are often used to counter competitive openings or for markets/divisions that are not performing well. Or for formats that are not performing well (Amazon Fresh, Fresh & Easy, Raleys ONE for example).

CVS issues a lot of these coupons every week, I get $8 off $40 like clockwork every week for months now. Walgreens and Rite Aid also issue coupons like this. But this is different than grocery stores.
When I lived in San Diego I'd receive those coupons from Ralphs on a regular basis. Fry's does the same.
storewanderer

Post by storewanderer »

rwsandiego wrote: December 20th, 2022, 4:52 am

When I lived in San Diego I'd receive those coupons from Ralphs on a regular basis. Fry's does the same.
Kroger quit issuing coupons for $ off baskets in mass 10-15 years ago (mailed to "RESIDENT" or on the front cover of a weekly ad that was sent out to everyone). This type of promotion was not used by all Kroger divisions and as they streamlined center store toward a single program for pricing/promotions/buying to support their everyday low price programs, these mass issued $ off basket coupons were stopped at all Kroger divisions.

Kroger $ off basket coupons via postcard for the past 10+ years are target issued only to specific customers for specific purposes such as retention (if you stop shopping there for a few weeks, they are likely to mail you specifically by name a postcard for $10 off $50 linked to your card and only good if you redeem it with your card).

More recently I have seen them do a few things with $ off basket coupons only available via digital coupons. So this way it is limit one per card, also you have to log in and use their app to get the offer (not a postcard mailed out or on the print ad as a print coupon). At Smiths this happened when they quit accepting Visa Credit Cards; they started to issue $5 off $25 coupons via the app almost every week for a couple months.
pseudo3d

Post by pseudo3d »

storewanderer wrote: December 18th, 2022, 2:39 pm
jamcool wrote: December 18th, 2022, 8:52 am I think the Basha family owns the artwork, it would be donated to one of the local Western/Native American museums if they desired to.
The creditors wanted that artwork sold off during the bankruptcy. I am not sure what ultimately happened. Maybe it is no longer on the company's books, but it was on the company's books at the time of bankruptcy. The artwork is still there so obviously it wasn't sold off. I wonder if Raleys bought the artwork with the company or if the artwork was shifted out of the company.

Lowe's/Texas probably would have been a better fit for Bashas than Raleys. Bashas assets are a little better than what Lowe's/Texas has but sort of along the same lines. Bashas assets are a real downgrade for Raleys compared to what Raleys has of its own (though the Scolaris purchase in NV was closer to the Bashas-level of asset quality though Scolaris were better maintained stores). I don't know what Raleys is doing. I guess it will work for them until it doesn't. Last week received a postcard from Raleys (good at any Raleys in store or online- not just Raleys ONE) for $10 off $50 and $5 off $35. Grocers that are doing well do not send these types of coupons out, especially during the holidays. Safeway isn't sending out these types of coupons, not even Save Mart is.

Lowe's Market (Texas) would be an odd choice for anyone since their stores are small and located in tiny towns (many of them hovering around 20k square feet, with their largest stores around 40k), a far cry from Bashas', which operates stores that are roughly equal footing with Safeway as far as square footage goes, and doesn't have small town/small size stores save for the Diné Markets locations.

As far as empire-building goes, it would link El Paso to Austin, but in practical terms they're dead weight.
rwsandiego
Store Manager
Store Manager

Post by rwsandiego »

Phoenix Business Journal ran a story today about the new support center. The following stood out to me:

"...Upon acquiring Bashas' a year ago, Raley's secured a short-term lease with the Basha family to operate out of the current headquarters at 22402 S. Basha Road in the Ocotillo neighborhood. Minor said the pursuit of a new office has been underway since the start of the year. Between the support and administrative teams working out of the headquarters and the sales and merchandising team working out of the offices at the distribution center, the new office is designed to house most of the local operations for Raley's. ..."

"...As for Bashas current headquarters it will eventually vacate, the future of that space will remain up to the Basha family.

“Raley’s will maintain the lease on the property through the end of 2023 to ensure there is a smooth transition from the current location in Chandler to the new support center in spring 2023," said Ashley Shick, director of communications an public affairs for Bashas’ Family of Stores. "The property will remain in the hands of the Basha family and it is up to them what becomes of the property after the support center is relocated.”

In other words, the Basha family will redevelop the property or sell it for market price.